Sunday, July 1, 2007

Honey Cashew Chicken Stir Fry

Honey Cashew Chicken (click to enlarge photo)
This didn't start out as a blog recipe, it was just something I threw together from leftovers but it was so tasty I had to share.

Looking around my kitchen after a long day,  I had the following:

There were frozen chicken breasts in the freezer.
There was the bottom end of a bag of  Scwhans frozen veggies (2-3 cups)
jarred minced garlic
spices and the usual staples.
a tired onion
various nuts (not including us)
bulk container of rice

A cup of rice and two cups of water went into the steamer.  Then, two fairly small chicken breasts were defrosted  in the microwave and cut into bite sized pieces.  I  also diced half a large onion. As you all know, I  usually don't measure and go by the eyeball method but bakery type items, but here is the best guess of the amounts.
In a  cereal bowl I mixed:
5 Tablespoons honey
2 and 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
two pinches Penzey's Chinese 5 spice powder (or just a pinch of cinnamon and two pinches of ginger)
several shakes of black  pepper
several shakes of crushed red pepper

When the rice was about 15 minutes away from being done,I  added a Tablespoon of oil to a cast iron skilled on medium to medium high heat (you know your stove better than I do) and cooked the chicken pieces, with a heaping spoonful of minced garlic and the chopped onion until the chicken was done, covering partway through to cook the meat thoroughly without drying it out.

While that cooked, I  nuked the veggies just until defrosted (about 2 minutes).
I added the sauce and the veggies when the meat was done, stirring to finish the vegetables with the heat on medium.

Then  I mixed 2  teaspoons of corn starch into 1 Tablespoon of water and add,ed that to the pan, raising the heat slightly and stirring constantly while it thickened and the honey in the sauce started to caramelize.

Finally, I tossed  in a handful of cashew pieces, stirred and served over rice.  The sweetness was a nice balance to the peppers and the cashews added a nice crunch. It was a "write that down, that was good!" type of recipe and super easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..