Tuesday, October 28, 2014

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - A Dad Post

Bud meets Buddy

Brigid's Dad here, with a little story that she is going to type up for me.

Most of my family have either been raised in the mountains, or built little homes there for vacations and holidays.  This particular place is one  I have spent many a Thanksgiving with my children and my beloved niece, who owned the land on which it was built.  I didn't think I would ever see it again as it's such a long trip and my son always came with me, making that two day drive each way and helping me in and out of the vehicle. He's gone, and I doubted there would be anyone willing to make that long trek, twice in just a few months.
But "my girls"  L. and Brigid hatched a plot that involved 48 hours of driving for the round trip, a quick kidnapping (after coordination with the doctors for a pre "snag" check up and extra supplies.) With the assistance of a strong, dashing man and a little cattle dog, we made it  in two days, with a stop to visit my beautiful granddaughter and great-granddaughter along the way.
 What do you mean I'm staying in the summer "Guest Cottage?"
Glad you were kidding, this looks really comfortable. You all sure make pretty things to decorate the place
 And the view of the back 40 is pretty nifty.
 Some things don't change, though the round rock collection is growing.
And the hives.
The bee hat, babe magnet every time.
I think I looked more dapper in my WWII uniform (that's me on the left), but I'm not complaining.
Because our family motto is sweet and clear.  Just Bee Happy!
So much to do over the summer.  Fourth of July!  Somehow I think alcohol was involved in this.
Some time at the lake. I'll let the youngsters play in the water, I'm just happy to sit in the warmth and share a glass a wine with one of my local friends.
 Doing our best to ensure the store's beer supply stays fresh.
 There's always evenings at the social club.
Or time with Shasta and K. at the old swimming hole.
 No, we didn't have bacon for breakfast.  Honest.
Brigid calls when she can't be here, seeing what we're having for supper.
 The mountain air is invigorating.  Come on Luc and Shasta - Let's go for a walk
There's no traffic at all, just some happy dogs.
I get to walk each day too, with a little help from Cindy who is a registered nurse.
And our squadron of rescue dogs.
After the outdoor time, a little snack is in order.
One of my girls is always making cookies for me.  My favorite is C's chocolate chip.
And a little relaxing as evening sets in.
Camera shy Dottie and Girlito the cat.
The summer flies by, quicker than we imagined, leaving on galloping hooves (like Buddy and Taxi the horse, that belongs to one of L's friends)
 Happy 94th Brithday to me!  Homemade Cake!
This is some of my family that shared in my summer and my special day. Only one of us is related by blood, the rest adopted, sharing of a last name, or simply a home, part of each's other's pack, rescuing one another, in so many little ways.

Before long, it will be time to head back, L. driving me north where we will meet Brigid and plan a family trip to the beach. While I was gone, B. got all the kitchen fire damage at my house cleaned up, everything repainted and cleaned and restored as best as could be.   She even replaced my broken old dishwasher that didn't work, so I don't have to do dishes or ask the nurse's aid to do them (more time for me to beat her at cribbage). I had such a good summer here, but I'm anxious to see my home.
But first, one last trip to the creek.
I just know there's a salmon in here somewhere.  I saw a bear do this once.
I'm looking forward to that trip to the beach as well, one last trek, one last family visit before the chill sets in.  

But that's a post for another day.
 - Bud

27 comments:

  1. What a wonderful family you have! My regards to you and yours Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Think Bud, that you are ready for you new "Budding" career as a photo-journalist!

    It is all about family and you certainly have a caring one.

    Loved all the pics, but am wondering if it is the ever elusive Brigid behind the lens?
    Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad is pretty awesome. And what a memorable Summer for all. Love it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you still have your father, please enjoy every minute you have left with him. My dad has been gone for 42 years and I would still like to spend a few minuets with him and my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 94th Harry!
    God Bless You!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, Sir, are a dear, sweet man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nurse Cindy's Family Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies: (OK, she said it's from the back of the Costco Chocolate Chips) package

    Recipe below makes about 20 cookies.

    1/2 cup lard (from no one we know)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 large egg, fresh from the chicken
    1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    a pinch of baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1-2/3 cup all-purpose flour (we use King Arthur's Flour)
    1 and 1/4 cup chocolate chips (1 cup for the mix and 1/4 cup to put on top of each dough ball)


    Directions:
    Cream fat and sugars until creamy, with hand mixer. Mix in salt, baking soda, the little pinch of baking powder and vanilla. Stir in flour by hand until thoroughly mixed. Stir in 3/4 cup chips. Save 1/4 cups to place on the tops.

    Chill dough for an hour. Form into 1 to 2 inch balls, placing a few extra chips on the top of each one. Slightly flatten the top with a glass or your hand

    Bake on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at least 3 inches apart at 350 F. for 9-12 minutes (golden around edges, center no longer looks wet). Cool on wire rack and store in air tight container. (if you do not use parchment paper and cook on non stick surface reduce cooking time by a minute as they may brown up quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poppa Bud,
    So happy to see you having a great time. Can't ask for more than wild women, dogs, cookies, a toddy, and mountain air.
    Save'n a bunch of HUGS for you. Brig

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keads - I was so very blessed to be adopted into this family as a little one. I know that every day.

    Everett - well, he had some "help" and Brigid IS camera shy, like Dottie the dog.

    James - thank you dear friend.

    1st man - he'd love your farm, I know that. This time was good for him.

    old okie - I so know it. I've spent every vacation day, and most of my sick days, caring for him and Big Bro these last few years. It's been worth it.

    JoeMama - he had SUCH a good summer, and I was able to get out to see him a couple of times, in addition to some of the driving. Now when I talk to him each night, and he's happy, not depressed, and we're coming up with something else for him to look forward to since we got back from the Beach trip last Saturday with the grandkids and great grandkids.

    armedlaughing - Dad would like you, a lot.

    Sharon - thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful place to spend a summer! What state is that - reminds me of Flagstaff, Arizona area.

    Merle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a hell of a good summer. Happy Birthday to Brigid's dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing... my wife and I have enjoyed getting to know your family through Brigid... and we also know that some family you are born with and some family you adopt... but the love is still the same for all family...

    Blessings...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fraternal greetings to Brother Bud and congratulations on attaining the venerable age of 94 :-). God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post, the memories so beautifully captured! Happy Birthday, Brigid's Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, its kind of nice to think...you were lucky to get your mom and dad, and they were/are lucky to have you, something non-adoptees might take for granted.

    You and your family truly are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post. God bless your Dad. He is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bud, What a great post. Thank you for sharing such a special time with all of us. And since I'm thank youing, Thank you for your service to our great country and thank you for instilling in Brigid the virtues of family,service to country, and faith. Those virtues are what draws so many of us towards her circles of influence and friendship. You did well Bud. I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much everyone! I have printed out the post, and the comments and will mail to Dad. Liz made an album of all the pictures to send to him as well. I'm trying to make his last days happy ones, with good memories. That was all my brother wanted, both of them working hard to outlive one another.

    My Dad is pretty cool. He went through this phase when I was in high school where he was pretty obstinate and not so bright, but he got over that :-)

    And Brighid = I'll give Poppa Bud a hug for you since you couldn't make it in person again. Feel free to stop by L's when you're up that way. I'll email you her phone number. You two would get along so well.

    Thank you again, it took some time and coordination but I'm glad we could make it work for him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much everyone! I have printed out the post, and the comments and will mail to Dad. Liz made an album of all the pictures to send to him as well. I'm trying to make his last days happy ones, with good memories. That was all my brother wanted, both of them working hard to outlive one another.

    My Dad is pretty cool. He went through this phase when I was in high school where he was pretty obstinate and not so bright, but he got over that :-)

    And Brighid = I'll give Poppa Bud a hug for you since you couldn't make it in person again. Feel free to stop by L's when you're up that way. I'll email you her phone number. You two would get along so well.

    Thank you again, it took some time and coordination but I'm glad we could make it work for him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post & pics! I've never spent anytime in the mountains but might have to reconsider it. It looks gorgeous and soul soothing! Please tell me that someone has some awesome plans for that old bus!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sarah - it's actually being converted into a little guest bunk for the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing your summer vacations stories and pictures! What a delightful family you have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a pleasure to "meet" you Bud, and so happy to see "How You Spent Your Summer Vacation"! Happy Birth Day, sir, and thank you for sharing your time, and lovely family, with us.

    Brigid, you are a Wonder Woman, and seeing the close family ties you share makes me so happy for you. Thank you, too, for sharing with us.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..