Saturday, January 3, 2015

Great Leaping Horny Toads - Someone Spiced up My Sandwich

With lots to do after the holidays, family, visitors packing up to head home, sometimes the easiest thing you can do to prepare supper for folks is to make a platter of sandwiches. Sometimes though you just want one for yourself while your spouse is working late.

OK, the "BLT"  photographed has no "T" because I do NOT like cold tomatoes. But with toasted homemade bread, two layers of hickory smoked bacon in each triangle and jalapeno mayo with crisp iceberg lettuce, this "double-decker" sandwich was the bomb.

Jalapeno Mayo

1/2 cup mayo
3 jalapenos seeded and chopped
1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
dash of sea salt.

Process in a food processor until smooth - let sit for a couple of hours for the flavors to blend.  Makes enough for 4 sandwiches and it will keep a few days in the refrigerator.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds relish, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it out. And I love that it has honey in it. When we get our beehives up and producing, I'm going to need all the things that take honey I can find, ha. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkeywranger - it was good. I managed not to gain a single pound during the holidays, actually lost a pound so it the fries were added (dusted with paprika and garlic salt).

    1st man - I love honey and use it in so many of the recipes here. My cousin Liz is in the bee business (she makes queens) and since we're as close as sisters, I always have some bee stuff around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good - and nice Yosemite Sam reference, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta try that! :-) WITH tomatoes though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....Gotta have the tomatoes!! No lettuce...Just gets in the way..

      Delete
  5. AHHH the old horney toad, used to be bunches of them in S.W. Oklahoma I found one about the size of a nickle when I was just a kid, now you never see them isn't progress great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is where I go for all the news on Bacon ! Yes, I have unilaterally decided it should be capitalized !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds amazing! I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..