recipe is from: http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/
3 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch kosher salt
Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
1 cup homemade ricotta (store-bought works fine)
1/2 cup flour
Note: I added 1/2 cup fresh berries, just gently stirring in, until barely incorporated into the batter.
1. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, salt, lemon zest, ricotta, and flour.
2. In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed or a whisk, beat the egg whites to medium-stiff peaks. GENTLY fold the egg whites into the ricotta mixture.
3. Heat 2 non-stick or well-seasoned frying pans over medium heat. Add a bit of butter to the pans, enough to coat the bottom.
4. Dollop heaping tablespoonfuls of the pancake batter into the pans, leaving a bit of space in between each pancake. You should be able to fit 3 or 4 pancakes into each pan, depending upon how large your pan is.
5. Cook for about 1 minute, until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip the pancake to brown the other side, and cook until the pancake is cooked throughout, another minute or so.
6. Serve at once on warm plates with a little maple syrup drizzled over the top, or simply plain.