Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lemon "Barbecue" Chicken

For tonight, a simple recipe that is as easy as it is delicious. My Stepmom made this one time when I came to visit and wrote down the recipe for me. She called it "Lemon Barbecue Chicken", but I have to change the name, as well as add an ingredient or two. To me, true barbecue incorporates pork and there is no fruit involved.

But it WAS good when I made it a few days ago. I only added a couple of things, and it was a nice addition, giving the recipe a bit more depth.

The sauce is easy as pie. True bachelor chow. A cup of catsup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons lemon juice. 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon dry mustard (found in the spice aisle) and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. To which I added 1 teaspoon lemon zest (the finely grated rind of the lemon) and 1 full tablespoon of dark molasses. I also sliced up the remains of the lemon. Mix it up. mmm.
Pour over one cut up chicken and bake covered (with foil) at 325 degrees for an hour and a half to two hours. Half way through I turned the chicken over, and the last fifteen minutes I removed the foil.. You may wish to cut into a thick piece at an hour and a half to check if getting done (no obvious pinkness to the meat)
Served with some wild rice/white rice and mushroom pilaf (two leftover rices mixed together and reheated with some chopped mushrooms sauteed in olive oil) and some corn. A nice base to soak up the extra "it's really not barbecue" sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly, kid safe, and open to discussion, not criticism. This is my home. You can live in yours as you wish, but this is my place.

Enjoy your time here and I hope you come away with good thoughts and memories.

Post a Comment