Saturday, June 13, 2015

Beefer Madness

It's hot enough to fry a cow on the sidewalk. The above picture is "Accu Cow".  He is on my  four hour each way weekly commute between the Range and where I  live while I work.  If Accu Cow is wet -  it's raining.  If Accu cow is covered in snow - it's winter.  If giving Accu Cow a pat on the rump causes 2nd degree burns - It's summer in Indiana.  It WAS warm today. When I crawled in the car after the truck sat outside with the engine running and the doors locked while I made a hardware store run (I had foodstuffs already in the vehicle), it showed 114 F. (it was actually around 93 and VERY humid)  So the last thing you want to do on a day like that is heat up your kitchen.  

This is the perfect time for your crockpot which was put to use yesterday.  It's perfect to tenderize those larger, cheaper cuts of meat. When crock pots first came out they were declared the savior of the working Mom, except most recipes call for low 4-5 hours or high for 6-8. Between commuting, lunch that's often not paid time and a stop on the way home for an errand or a child, it's not a typical day that most working folks are out of the house only 8 hours.
So when I crock pot, it's when I'm teleworking or off. This recipe, like most of mine, is a fix it and forget it while simply doing chores, spending time with friends or  taking the dog to the park. The biggest advantage is I don't have to heat the kitchen and I don't have to try do the exact sequence of movements it takes to light a 60 year old gas oven. (Brigid's blood pressure goes through the roof, as told through interpretive dance.)

Simple.  Simple is good.

This was an experiment that ended up being a huge hit with the menfolk (and OK, I had another sandwich for breakfast). The meat was "cut with a spoon" tender and the au jus? MMMM  Hot and beefy, salty and sweet, but very subtly.  The roast isn't completely submerged, so while it was basted once during cooking, it develops some great little crusty edges to lend a bit of bite to the tender roast.  Perfect.
Beefer Madness
  • 1 3-4 pound boneless roast beef (chuck or round roast)
  • 1 and 1/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (I used the 18 year aged one from Artisano's)
  • 3 and 1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  • 4 teaspoons wild honey
  • a dash or two of salt (the soy is high sodium so it doesn't need more than a shake)
  • 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus an extra pinch
  • slightly less than 1/4  teaspoon dried ginger (remove a pinch after a level measure)
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Please roast in crock pot, fat side down.  Mix ingredients and pour over top.  Cook on low 7-8 hours, flipping over once during the cooking and basting with juice. Serve on fresh, crusty French rolls.  Strain au jus (just put into a colander over a bowl) and serve alongside to dip the sandwich into.  Makes 6 generous servings and it is even better the next day.

17 comments:

  1. Looks good! It has been 110 here for the last week... but it's a dry heat, so it actually is only 110...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tead this at the wrong time.
    Waiting for diner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very tasty. I should try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mount AccuCow on a uni-ball and she could also be a wind Tee. But, that would put all the Sabre Liners out of work (yeah, I'm old; everything I qualified in was an "A" model). regards, Alemaster

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh drooling over here... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. He?
    Accucow reminds me of a souvenir rock my grandfather purchased at the Grand Canyon, but smaller!
    And YUM!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Place in crock pot fat side down." So you don't trim the fat first?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wind River Ranger - no, our grocers has a in-house butcher that trims it pretty close but leaving that thin layer on it works really well, and can be trimmed off when cooked but the meat remains really juicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned that that two of your other recipes, Range Roast Beef, and Easy Range Pasta, are in my regular rotation. My family and I are very pleased with them both.

      Delete
  9. Where we live in Texas, it is the Accu Buc-ee.

    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/35540

    We use a pork tenderloin to make "Crock Pot carnitas". Even with that minimal amount of fat, the meat still has plenty of moisture at the end of the day-long cooking cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wind River Range - well thank you!! I hope you'll find some others your family enjoys.

    Roscoe - that sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ATTENTION: Here's the link to the recipe for the Easy Range Pasta that Wind Rier Ranger was mentioning. It's not a recipe in the sidebar as it's one of my more "Not G rated" posts I wrote before Dad started reading my blog (yes, my blog has a "DAD filter" though he isn't able to read now, we just print posts out and mail them) Just cut and paste into your browser for a recipe and a grin.

    http://mausersandmuffins.blogspot.com/search?q=Easy+Range+Pasta

    ReplyDelete
  12. I passed along the "Crock Pot Carnitas" recipe at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love this recipe! Have made it about twice a week since we saw it on your blog. Keep a left over batch in the fridge for lunch or an easy supper. Love it. We added a packet of onion soup mix to the recipe, and usually use stew beef rather than roast, as SAMs Club or Wal Mart cuts up the roasts as they age, and puts the "stew beef" on sale. Thanks for a great recipe. Ron and Brenda, Cocoa, FL

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..