Friday, October 10, 2014

The American Dream is Popping Up

A couple of times a year I feature one of my favorite family owned Hoosier businesses.  For I'm a firm believer in keeping money local.  Though Home on the Range is in another city, I've lived and worked in the Indianapolis area and I love doing business with fellow Hoosiers.

Today I had to drop a friend off at the Indianapolis Airport at lunch time and stopped on my way out of town at the Metropolis Mall in Plainfield, Indiana (Futura Parkway just off Perry Road, which is a little West of the airport off of I-70.) There's a nice little Irish pub there we had a blog meet at once, that I wanted try again for lunch before I hit the freeway.
But first, a wander to check out a new business I'd heard of. Its a fun little outdoor mall, with an eclectic assortment of shops, a good restaurant or two and a movie theater. I'm not a fan of malls, but I liked this one. It's more like a cluster of fun shops as opposed to that whole "mall" feeling, in a suburban community that's low on crime and high on friendliness. Plainfield police have a station inside the shopping area and the feel to the whole place is clean and family friendly.

Heidi Pops Gourmet Popcorn. I heard about it from a friend that works in Plainfield. She said --"Heidi and her husband have black labs-- you need to go say hello".  So I did. Owned by a husband and wife team, the store's been open for a couple of weeks, ready for their permanent sign out front and hungry customers. This is their dream, to have their own Mom and Pop (pun intended) business, after years of good jobs working for others, the entrepreneurial spirit of America alive and well in them. They've put their future in this dream, this endeavor and I know that has to be a little bit daunting.

There's a couple of other popcorn places around the area.  Good, but not enough to make me go out of my way to get some. But I DO like popcorn. . .
Wow. THIS popcorn I'd make the drive for. Seriously, if I was anywhere near the I-465/I-70 interchange I'd be stopping in.  OK, if I was anywhere  in the middle of the STATE, I'd stop in. It's not mass produced, but hand crafted in small batches. It's the kind of popcorn  you'd find at places such as Gerrett's in Chicago without the drive and that special Illinois pricing. The popcorn I got today at Heidi Pops to share with some friends was still warm in the bag and was quite reasonably priced for the quality. 

I was warmly greeted by Mr. G. and given a quick tour of their treats and tastes. Then I snapped some pictures while he set up more samples for the day. hey always have some standards, caramel corn, caramel corn with pecans or almonds, cheddar cheese.
Today they also had buffalo ranch.  MMMMM. And Pickle. Yes Pickle. If you love sea salt and vinegar style chips you will snarf up the pickle flavor.

The cheddar popcorn is amazing  It's a sharp cheddar and tastes like the best quality cheddar, not that cheddar-like dust you usually find on popcorn. It's like you mated the best quality Indiana popcorn with that wonderful sharp cheddar pub cheese in the brown crock. I would drive a long way for this cheddar popcorn.

You can get a single serving size bag, or small, medium,or large for sharing, and tubs up to many gallons, which you can fill with more than one flavor. There were a lot of flavors in addition to the ones pictured here, including chocolate and some colorful fruit flavors that would surprise you.
They also have some fun decorative tins, small to large,which would make great little gifts for family, coworkers or perhaps a holiday housewarming. I'm going to get a huge tin of the buffalo ranch and cheese popcorn for my team at work.  Parties, catering, they do it all.
So if you are traveling through Indiana, or live or work here, stop on in and bring home some tasty goodness. I can't wait to get home and try it. Til then, visit their web site or Facebook page and tell them "Barkley's Mom sent you" to say hello and offer encouragement.

How did my steering wheel end up orange?
Don't eat and drive.


  1. That looks like a great little place! I, too, try to keep my dollars in the community, and I appreciate the smaller businesses because you can take your time, get to know the folks and build the community relationship.

    Hope your team enjoyed the treat--and hey, at least your steering wheel is ready for Halloween!

  2. Sounds delicious ! I am afraid I must eat and drive, or I would simply never drive. LOL

  3. Sent them an email to see if they can ship a couple/few tins to Maryland :)

  4. Pickle popcorn rocks! If you like pickles you should give it a try.

  5. Robin - you should make a stop over to get some. Abby says hello! My dog walker is going to have her in her home the week I'm out at Dad's She's stayed there for a week before, and had a great time with Andy the rescue lab, sleeping on her bed in front of their fireplace.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..