Sometimes the Irish can save civilization. Sometimes it's all they can do to rustle up dinner.Technically, according to my biological parents history and DNA I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me, but there is a lot of English and Scot heritage there.
So I'm all up for a warm bowl of a hearty soup or stew.
Especially when it was a long day. . . .
Still, duty calls, reports to write.
Probie comes over, a puzzled luck on his face, looking at a document I'd just finished.
"uh, doc. . . WHAT'S RIGOR MORRIS?"
I look up straightfaced (Typo? Me??") . . "DEAD CAT FOUND AT THE SCENE."
It was just one of those days, So I was glad to get home for something nourishing. Tonight, no guns, no glory, just some really good leftover soup and some fresh baked bread. To make - caramelise a large diced onion in a pan with a splash of olive oil, add 4 ribs of chopped celery and about six sliced carrots and cook for a couple of minutes. Put in a crockpot with 1 and 1/2 lbs smoked ham hocks, a pound of uncooked and rinsed white beans, 2 quarts fresh chicken stock, a pinch of rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper,a large clove of garlic cut crosswise, a dash of hot sauce (I like Heavy Metal Heat by the Scoville Bros.), 1/4 teaspoon wild honey and 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme, plus a couple dashes of salt (to taste). Cook on high for 4-5 hours, until beans are done, remove any remaining stems of thyme, squeeze garlic to remove pulp, discarding the skins and stir into soup. Remove hocks and shred meat. Take a 1/2 cup of the bean mixture and pulse in a blender and stir back in with ham hocks.
Note: Please follow the directions if you plan to repost. I had a reader years ago, the first time I posted another soup recipe with sausage make it using a completely different kind of bean, different meat, different seasonings (leaving out the key one) and then actually posted it on social media that he "made Brigid's recipe and it was just OK". Please, friends, NO.
With that, some quick bread.
Cheddar Peppered Biscuit Bites. Full of the bite of fresh cracked pepper and sharp cheese, they're baked in little triangles for little bite size bits of crunch with a soft, fragrant center.
For now, enjoy the comforts of home.
Hey Brigid;
ReplyDeleteWelll the Irish DID save civilization, remember when there was a meal at home, it promoted the family unit and that is one of the building blocks of civilization is a stable social order. Sounds good, LOL. I have a coworker at my job(where else) that is Irish and mess with him on a regular basis, "101 ways to prepare potato's" kind of thing. One day I brought in a bag of potato's( was member of a co-op and was foisting the excess on every else.) but anyway, I get the bag of potato's(promised to someone else) and left it on his toolbox and he asked me "whats up with this sh*t?" I commented "well you are Irish and I figured you would have a special affinity for the potato.." I got a vulgarity and a finger gesture. I was pleased, my mission was complete. He is a good guy and we mess with each other on a regular basis. Your recipe looks good, and I gained weight looking at it :)
Your potato story made me smile. I have coworkers like that as well.
DeleteI just finished an early lunch, and your food STILL makes me hungry. It looks fabulous, too.
ReplyDeleteSo Ma'am...
ReplyDeleteIf you would, your secret recipe for clam chowder.
It may not be native to the left coast,and you barely even have one of those beside Lake Michigan, but I'm pretty sure you have a secret here.
Share secret, please. Comfort food time.
John - I'm allergic to shellfish. Unless I wish to resemble a Macy's parade balloon and have an Epi Pen handy I have to steer clear of clam chowder. At our famous family crab dinners, I'm the one eating Kraft Dinner.
DeleteSomeone played a nasty and unfair trick on you!
DeleteKD amidst all that bounty? Not right.
Sounds good, as always! :-)
ReplyDelete