Thursday, January 19, 2023

I Have a Book


Outside, it was dark and cold, the rain and wind laying siege to a house built over a hundred years ago when things were built to last.  A good night for sitting with a book.

Between two pages is a photo of my Mom in her garden. I remember days of working in the flowerbeds that her Mom so lovingly maintained. After her death, She kept it going as long as she could for her Dad until adulthood called me away. As she toiled in the garden, the sun kissed the top of her head, the touch a benediction, a blessing.

I had not yet learned of other kisses, the ones in the crook of the neck where the head joins the body and the body knows not its limitations. The one that dances on the skin like a light that falls upon it, outstretched hands gathering fistfuls of flowers imprinted upon starched cotton. I had not yet learned that love is not just as wild as the flowers; it’s as fragile and elusive as glass; that in nature, the most delicate of things are often trod underfoot as they go unnoticed. So much contained in those pages never read.
At the bookstore recently, an engineering manual, two generations old, was opened to browse. In it was an ancient leaf, carefully pressed within the pages, the person who had done so likely long gone. I have many books like that old book, purchased from stores that contain more light than dust, yet containing within them things old and forgotten, things that in the wrong hands would only grow older. Finding the right one is like finding treasure, fingers tracing the spine, fingers that are gentle and forgiving, not wishing any further scar upon that which binds.

Such books find their way to my home, where they lay looking out from under leaded glass, pulled out to be read on late nights, the mind marveling that other minds marveled, the mysteries, the mistakes, playing out across the pages as if they were penned today. They tell their tales like the lonely, animated elderly, to anyone who is willing to listen, lessons are given without rancor or heat, and so many words that need to be said while they can still be heard.

Tonight, I have such a book.

It's a big old paper dead tree book because I want to hold something in my hands that feels alive, to me even if a living thing died to create its pages. It's words that form pictures, laid out upon a living thing that never slept, never dreamed of the soft perch of birds or the sharp blade of the ax, never mourned the tender leaves that it nourished and abandoned. It’s a piece of wood, that can be warmth, support, and shelter, or the perfect, pristine bed of memory laid down bare.
Such is it tonight as I am alone tonight, Partner in Grime traveling for work.  But in my head is history, the cries of warriors, rushing forth immortal beneath disported sabers and brandished flags, men rushing forward into time, propelled by gunpowder and righteousness, underneath a sky of thunder.  I am caught up in battles, in loves, both forbidden and forgotten, coursing like blood as long as the words will, that immortal, fresh, abiding blood which bears respect above regret and commitment above the ease of dishonor.

As the storm builds outside I'll let it transport me to somewhere far away until a chime will toll for warriors, for battles won and those so easily lost. As my hand turns the pages, I will move among people who lived and died, or perhaps never existed at all, their shadows not of flesh or blood but of imagination, shadows as strong as finely honed steel and shadows as quiet as murmuring breath, forgotten until they were put upon paper.
Then, on the sound of that chime, perhaps a clock, perhaps something that just travels within me, the note cutting the air, as sharp, clear, and quiet as a blade, I will fall off into sleep, there in my bed. The book lies prone on the nightstand next to me, two forms, creating one shadow, the stories in both of them, never ceasing, even at rest. Outside the world continues in that illusion of change, the sky letting go of its tears, washing a parched landscape anew.

5 comments:

  1. One never knows what one will find between the pages of an old book... Pictures, leaves, letters... memories of those long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You have such a way with words, transplants me to there.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigid, books are literally my life. I have far more than is sane or sensible, yet they never seem to be "enough".

    I have had to go through my parents' books (my mother was a reader and collector as well) and I have donated all the books that my heart can bear to do. Some of the ones remaining are ones that I remember reading, some of them are even books I have but older editions that my mother owned. They continue to speak to me of her.

    When I buy books from used bookstores - where I get virtually of my books now - I always look for and treasure the bits I find inside: a dedication, an old business card, a note. I especially value where people have underlined and made notes: What were they thinking? Why did they choose this point?

    Books remain an endless piece of history and adventure that no screen can ever come close to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the sky letting go of its tears, washing a parched landscape anew"

    Where on earth did you ever learn to write such poetry !

    It only looks like prose. But it's really something more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminded me of your writing. "Instruction manual on how to go outside". https://letgrow.org/50-outside-activities-not-digital/

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.