Monday, September 15, 2025

Things You Never Know


It's been 17 years since I started this blog.  I don't have the time to post as I used to when I was single and didn't have an old Bungalow to restore with my Partner in Grime, but I do enjoy sharing my thoughts with those of you who still show up to have a cup of coffee and say hello. A few of you I've known most of my adult life, both on and off social media, and a few I have never met.  But for those of you who haven't known me my whole life, some things you probably DON'T know about me.

1. I once got sent to the principal's office for reading a copy of Road and Track behind my history book.

2. I started taking college classes at age 14. It was the free-wheeling '70s, but the reason I was the only girl on the local campus not wearing a bra was that, sadly, I was the only one who didn't need one. 

3. I HATE tomatoes in their cold, seedy, alien, larval life form state.

4. I will do aerobatics in a plane all afternoon, but I am afraid of the escalator at O'Hare if I have a roller bag.

5. I was jogging in the park when I realized I was in the middle of some college running event. Up ahead, the tape for the finish line. What could I do? I picked up my pace, ran through the tape, arms raised, shouting. "I won! I won! and kept going.

6. In 4th grade, Mom bought me the world's ugliest and sturdiest shoes. Money was tight in our house but I hated them. I beat them with a hammer, dragged them behind my bike for miles, and smeared peanut butter on them so the dog would play with them. After a month, they looked suitably worn out. Mom dragged me to J.C. Penny to complain about the quality and got a replacement pair, EXACTLY the SAME.

7. I would rather watch old episodes of Top Gear than ANY show involving shoes or fashion.


8. I used my first four-letter word... loudly, on the pastor from the Lutheran Church. I used it a few more times before I hung up my wings.

9. I can choreograph an autopsy without blinking, but went full "tears and waving arms" on PA State Cop once, when Abby Lab got a hold of HALF a dead bunny when he and I were walking my property, and she would NOT drop it.

10. I can play 3 instruments. I can't whistle to save my life.

11. I took ballet for 14 years and can still go "en pointe" in the right shoes. Once.

12. Without strong, hot Scottish tea in the morning, I have the decision-making abilities of a squirrel crossing the road.

13. When I got married, I wore the whole Princess Bride outfit. My garter, however, was leather and contained Ninja throwing knives.

14. While on a "quick turn" on the ramp at SFO airport, I used the lavatory on our airliner, which had a window. Used to only being in it at 30,000 feet, I didn't close the shade and mooned half a dozen Samoan bag handlers.

15. I have never watched "The Bachelor/Bachelorette/", "Sex in the City", or any of the "RealHousewives" shows. I can quote way too much of Red Dwarf.

Rimmer: "Step up to Red Alert."

Kryten: "Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb".


16. I gave up alcohol years ago, but I have a 2-pound bag of Tootsie Pops hidden in my desk drawer.

17. Biologically, I'm a direct descendant of Walter Woodworth, one of the original colonists/settlers of the United States.  That, along with my driver's license showing my age, will get me a free coffee at Chick-fil-A.

18. I am type-rated (qualified and experienced as a Captain) on 7 different transport jets.  I don't own a SmartPhone.

19. I will not eat shellfish, but once ate a roasted tarantula (tasted like chicken).

20. I'm half Ashkenazi Jew (bio father).

21. I modeled professionally in college for a skiwear company. I have never skied in my life. 

- Brigid

13 comments:

  1. Not to mention, you are the most supportive, charitable girls' girl around, with a big ole heart of gold :) I, too, hate tomatoes unless they've been made into something edible - something about their slimy insides just gives me the ick. And shellfish? I just tell people that God put the shells on the outside because they're inedible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we met, and the friendship has provided a lot of smiles AND support. Give my best to your Mom.

      Delete
  2. And that is what makes you...you! It's also why we value you as a friend, never change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim - hard to believe I met you 40 years ago, you survived the flight, and our lives and friendship has grown since then.

      Delete
  3. Best quote on the net for 2025:
    "Without strong, hot Scottish tea in the morning, I have the decision-making abilities of a squirrel crossing the road". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Others beat me to it, but I'll second the comments.

    And I promise not to send you lobsters at Christmas cuz...I would have already scarfed 'em all down by my lonesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you send them, include an Epi-Pen - shellfish and I don't see eye to eye (wait - do they HAVE eyes?)

      Delete
  5. I have been reading the blog pretty much since it has been here, originally I think from a thread from N. Lex. I do cherish and appreciate all your work, thanx so much for this place. Separately, as both a pilot and former user of your type of professional products, it is also a pleasure to watch you stitch together those very different lives. Thank you. RAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of curiosity, which skiwear company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Stag, just some print ads, they liked the red hair, and back then I had a figure that was more hourglass and less lightbulb :-)

      Delete

I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.