But I don't drink (gave that up years ago), eat junk food, or any seed oils/fake fats so a weekend treat of the stuff our grandparents lived off of is fine with me. I had my physical on Friday, and after the nurse gave me the usual "what do you mean you're not on ANY meds?" she took my blood pressure, looked puzzled, took it again, and said "it's 106 over 61, is that normal for you?" (omitting what she wanted to say that was "I've never seen anyone your age with that blood pressure).
So I'm not starting that "no bacon" thing any time soon. Especially when our forecast of temps in the 60's gave way to snow, 20's, and 40 mph winds. Biscuits and Gravy just seemed the thing to do (recipe is for 3-4 folks, adjust as necessary).
First, cut the bacon into thirds. Put it into a large skillet and fry it over medium heat until cooked but not too brown. Remove the bacon and keep it warm. Stir the flour into the bacon grease (you want no more than 1/4 cup of fat, if you have really fatty bacon or make extra pieces, remove any excess fat beyond 1/4 cup and save for your green beans).
Whisk over low to medium heat until the flour absorbs the fat and is just turning golden brown. Add the salt, maple sugar, and black pepper. Stir the milk a third at a time, whisking after each addition, allowing it to warm before adding additional milk. Stir it in slowly, using the whisk to keep it from getting lumpy. Simmer (not a full rolling boil, please!) for 3-5 minutes, until thickened, increasing heat as needed but NO more than medium. Serve over fresh Southern Biscuits (no cans!) sprinkled with the crumbled bacon pieces and a pinch or two of Sweet or Smoked Paprika.
So I'm not starting that "no bacon" thing any time soon. Especially when our forecast of temps in the 60's gave way to snow, 20's, and 40 mph winds. Biscuits and Gravy just seemed the thing to do (recipe is for 3-4 folks, adjust as necessary).
- roughly 1/4 pound bacon
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon maple sugar
- 2 and 1/2 cups milk plus 1/2 cup half and half (both at room temperature)
First, cut the bacon into thirds. Put it into a large skillet and fry it over medium heat until cooked but not too brown. Remove the bacon and keep it warm. Stir the flour into the bacon grease (you want no more than 1/4 cup of fat, if you have really fatty bacon or make extra pieces, remove any excess fat beyond 1/4 cup and save for your green beans).
Whisk over low to medium heat until the flour absorbs the fat and is just turning golden brown. Add the salt, maple sugar, and black pepper. Stir the milk a third at a time, whisking after each addition, allowing it to warm before adding additional milk. Stir it in slowly, using the whisk to keep it from getting lumpy. Simmer (not a full rolling boil, please!) for 3-5 minutes, until thickened, increasing heat as needed but NO more than medium. Serve over fresh Southern Biscuits (no cans!) sprinkled with the crumbled bacon pieces and a pinch or two of Sweet or Smoked Paprika.


Brigid, I have a job to lower my cholesterol in the next three months or so or consider going on medication. The second is not an option, so the first option will have to be some modification of my diet.
ReplyDeleteOn the bright side, they are less concerned about my blood pressure, which is a relief.
My cholesteral was always goodm which was genetic and years of a high fiber diet, but my blood pressure was "looks like you may need meds" So I did a big shift. I eat a splurge meal only once a week and the portion is small (salad plate, not dinner plate). I only eat lean game (I get bison instead of beef) or wild caught fish and only a couple of times a week, no seed oils, junk food, or transfats, and lots of beans/grains/fruits veggies. Also sodium less than 1500 mg a day. (surprisingly easy after I tweaked some recipes and my taste buds reset). BP at my physical last Friday was 106/64 and at 68 I am on no meds.
DeleteI tried the biscuits, but now I'll have to try the gravy to go with them :)
ReplyDeleteYour biscuits looked absolutely perfect. The gravy was just cobbled together so I think I got the measurements close, but the bacon in place of sausage was a big hit around here.
DeleteFunnily enough, I just had some chocolate chip and bacon cookies - they're better than you might think...
ReplyDelete