Sunny left us yesterday after a short battle with a very aggressive T-Cell Lymphoma. She had just turned 3. We adopted her as a puppy when she was released to a shelter with bowed legs that made her "unwanted" in some's eyes.
A Vet from Indy, where Barkley got his care for years, had moved to the Chicago area as her husband got a position with a big hospital here as a doctor. She took care of Lorelei and Abby Lab at home at the end for us and did the same for Sunny. In a moment that reminded me that even with this pain, God's watching over me - she told me her husband's new job is at one of the biggest hospitals in Chicago, one known world-wide for it's transplant services.
He's on my Transplant team.
In Memory
Sunny D. Lab
May 11, 2023 - July 29, 2026
Words from my husband:
"Back when we hadn't had her very long, I was just getting her past the overstimulation phase so I could walk her all the way to the tracks and back. On one of these trips, I ran across a neighbor from the next block. He and I had spoken before when Lorelei was still happily begging for pets up and down the street. He liked dogs; he used to have great Danes, and he had fitted his little shoebox SUV with a bulldog hood ornament from a Mack truck.
That day he was walking with his wife. They stopped and waited patiently for Sunny to go through the cautious sniffing phase. After a few minutes Sunny decided they were her new best friends and was happily getting pets and doing little jumps when she wanted more attention. The wife was particularly enthralled with Sunny and praised her, saying she loved how, "She looks you right in the eye!" After more pets and wags we went on our way.
You wouldn't notice it from a distance, but if you watched carefully, you could tell the lady was a bit frail. It was several months later when I saw them both again. They were going up the steps to their bungalow and she was leaning heavily on her husband. They apologized for not being able to stop and pet Sunny, but I told them Sunny was just happy to see her friends and she wagged and gave a little woof.
Back in the spring I bumped into the husband on the street. He stopped me to let me know that his wife had passed. He didn't say what the illness was, but it had been a long journey. He said that she had her favorite comfortable chair next to the front window of the house and that she would always smile and remark when she saw Sunny on the street. It was always a moment of happiness for her.
That's how I would like to remember Sunny the most. The dog who always brought a smile to a neighbor's face in her dying days."

How terribly sad that you must endure yet another tragic loss. My prayers are with you and your family and friends. And we will continue to pray for you over your health issues. Even now, God is moving people into your life to help you. Trust in Him.
ReplyDeleteTrust and Faith is what sustains me (coffee DOES offer a little assistance before 9 a.m. though)
DeleteHard to see them suffer, so best to care for them how you can. Thanks for giving her the best life.
ReplyDeleteHer last day was as free from pain as we could give her and she enjoyed time with her favorite people including her dog walker who she just LOVED and came and sat with her for a long while in the yard that morning, petting her.
DeleteDeepest condolences, my friend. And I had no idea you were on a transplant waiting list. Extra prays get added tonight.
ReplyDeleteI had liver damage from Abdominal Sepsis in 2021. The liver was healing and doing well, then accute Type A flu took it out again. The amount of tests to get on the list at my age was something (my heart though is deemed "grossly normal"). Now my MELD score is low enough I don't need one but still in the program as things could change with another system infection. I'm in the program at one of the top liver transplant organizations in the world so I'm very blessed.
DeleteBrigid - I am so sorry to hear about Sunny, What a wonderful story about how she brought joy to your neighbors.
ReplyDeletePrayers up both for you and your husband in your loss and especially you with your upcoming surgery.
Right now, I'm off the list as my MELD score improved (liver healing some). But I'm still in the program, things change and we'll be ready if that happens.
DeleteThat is wonderful news. I will still pray though, for you to be completely off the list.
DeleteIt's always a hard thing to lose a family member. We will light a candle in the window to guide Sunny over the Rainbow Bridge.
ReplyDeleteA poem to help ease you pain..
ReplyDeleteI was just a pup when we first met,
I loved you from the start,
you picked me up and took me home
and placed me in your heart.
Good times we had together,
we shared all life could throw,
but years passed all too quickly,
my time has come to go.
I know how much you miss me,
I know your heart is sore,
I see the tears that fall when I'm not
Waiting at the Door.
You always did your best for me
your love was plain to see,
for even though it broke your heart
you set my spirit free.
So please be brave without me,
one day we'll meet once more,
for when you're called to Heaven.
I'll be Waiting, at the Door