I head (no pun intended) to the hair stylist about every four-five weeks as my hair grows beyond fast (photo from warmer times). Usually, though, the visit is after my work day, the salon being open until 9 PM. I give my regular stylist a lot of credit. My hair is baby fine, curly (I refer to it as "free range") and well, red. I won't mention the few strands of grey and trying to match that. It's the hair stylist equivalent of juggling knives.
I went in this week for a hair cut and some "natural highlights" which involve a transfer of cash similar to ransom, and an hour and a half with enough foil on my head to attract a number of conspiracy theory admirers.
I also went in without lunch or dinner due to the day I had at work. I figured that I could grab some takeout on the way home as my husband was out of town and I hadn't planned on cooking, Abby Lab was being walked a couple of times and fed by my dogwalker due to the long day (legal hearing) so she was taken care of.
As my stylist did the trim, I had a ladies magazine on my lap, with my reading glasses off, as the beautiful genius that does my hair finished up the cut and blow dry.
Did I mention that when I hit 50 I had to get "reading glasses" and anything just a foot away is a bit blurry? First, it was the pages at Bible study, then mailboxes, and soon I was looking through the rack for "readers" with all the other grandmothers.
The magazine I was reading at the salon had a colorful picture of a bowl of soup in it. I started to get really hungry It looked SO good and that bagel and apple and coffee at 6 a.m.were distant history. I think I drooled on the page. The lady in the next chair over mentioned that, looking quite perplexed when I said: "I SO want a bowl of that." I couldn't wait until I was free of sculpting gel and a dryer to stop at the gourmet grocers for some of that, the broth, the succulent chicken, perhaps some shrimp, while I curled up with a glass of expensive white wine and Bach.
Then I put my glasses on.
I'd been drooling over cat food. Friskies Fancy Feast no less.
After that, I stopped McDonald's for a Filet O Fish and the liquor store for a bottle of white wine, just grabbing one from their "pick of the week" display as I was tired. When I got home and tried to open it with the wine opener and I couldn't puncture the top I realized it was a twist off cap.
Filet O'Fish and McWine.
Maybe I should have just gone for the cat food.


Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. But as long as no one else noticed your choice of soup/stew, then alles ist gut. After all, we'll never tell. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteGail had some eye surgery done last year. Corrected some lens issue. On the way home, she pulled down the mirror, and said "HOLY CRAP, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I NOW NEED TO WEAR MAKEUP"?
ReplyDeleteDanger Will Robinson...