Saturday, November 23, 2019

A Toast to Aviators

Definitions:

Pilots: People who drive airplanes.

Naval Aviators: (from a friend of mine, a retired NFO) "Cold, steely eyed, weapons systems managers who kill bad people and break things. However, they can also be very charming and personable. The average Naval Aviator, despite sometimes having a swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don’t involve anyone else."
Before winter set in I had a chance to meet up for dinner with some long time friends who are retired militatory aviators who I have worked with after their service ended. 

To my favorite Naval Aviators -

 Pickle, Pause, Pull

or Pickle, Pull, Pause (oops).

 It's always good to talk to you and when I get a chance to see you in person again to share a meal and drinks, it's even better.

And thank you for never once saying "I told you so" regarding that Air Force airman that broke my heart before I met my husband (who you all actually approved of for once).


These times are few but they are prescious. We catch up on hobbies, on kids, on who is working where now.  We talk of old careers and new careers and how no one wanted to tell the guy who scheduled that tabletop not involving ground based folks that "Practical Exercise Not Involving Soldiers" does not make the best acyonym.  We talked of lost loves and new loves and who has left us.  But as we raise our glasses to toast those airmen Gone West, to Lex, to others we respected, we realize that those that left us, did so doing exactly what they loved, despite the cost.
It may be years before we meet again in person. But I know that in this instant, this moment, nothing else matters but shared stories of our past, a simple toast, to loved ones gone or simply far away. This is true friendship, something you can never buy, like the heat of a candle that warms me from the inside out.

You three gentlemen have always being there for me, listening through the bad times and helping me celebrate in the good times. I love you guys. You were, and are, a shining  example of what being a patriot and an airman can be.

Cheers.
B.

4 comments:

  1. Good friends are always there no matter how far or how long its been, and is there anything more beautiful than a radial engine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lady of round engines, after my own heart.

    They don't make 'em anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, our 'outlook' on life is a tad bit skewed compared to normal people... Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are indeed lucky to have three such good friends!!

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.