I don’t own a TV – having given the giant flatscreen to AmVet years ago. But I don’t know what I’d do without my books. Remember the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? It was set in a dystopian future in which firefighters intentionally burn any house in which a book was located because it’s illegal to possess them. Ultimately, a fireman who secretly grew to love books escapes the city of big screen, reality-based entertainment to find a small group of book-loving refugees banded together. Each person was assigned to memorize one complete book—including Plato, Dickens, James Joyce, and more—so the books would survive until society was ready to possess them again. I loved that book when I was in high school. I did not read many popular novels, though I had a rather large collection of classic literature while growing up. When my grade school classmates were reading and loving their mysteries or the Captain Underpants series, I was reading Jane Eyre and Henry David Thoreau, and a whole world beyond my quiet, hushed one at home opened up to me.
After her death, I kept it going as long as I could for my dad until he, too, was called away. As I toiled in the garden, the sun kissed the top of my head, the touch a benediction, a blessing.
I missed having a used bookstore a bicycle ride away, the owner having retired and closing it. But there were often yard and garage sales here in the Village, and I could usually find old books for pocket change. The last time I was at a used bookstore, I found an old cookbook, two generations old, that I opened to browse and purchase. I could picture my Mom using a book like that, and it would look nice on the shelves with her books that remain in my house. In it was a dried flower carefully pressed within the pages so many years ago, a story untold within that small remembrance.The last time I took a really long trip overseas, I had to downsize a bag as the little turboprop airplane piloted by who I believe was The Incredible Hulk was weight-restricted. My books were left behind for materials I had to have for the trip. Instead, I would have given up my lunch, poncho, and hiking boots instead of my little collection of paperbacks and a small leather-bound book of Shakespeare sonnets. Let the weather wreak havoc on my itinerary, let the grocers sell the last chocolate bar, but if I were to end up alone in the middle of nowhere after I bust a move down the Himalayas and break my leg, I wanted a book.
Curled up in strange places next to an artifact of the family that is toted around in my suitcase, I might be lonely, but I would be content. For I have a book. It’s a big old, paper-made, dead tree book. I want to hold something in my hand that feels alive to me, even if a living thing died to create its pages. Some words form pictures laid out upon a living thing that never slept, never dreamed of the soft perch of birds or the sharp blade of the ax, and never mourned the tender leaves that it nourished and abandoned. It’s a piece of wood that could be warmth, support, shelter, or the perfect, pristine bed of memory laid down bare.
My house is empty tonight, but I am not alone. In my head are history and the cries of warriors, rushing forth immortal beneath disported sabers and brandished flags, and men were rushing forward into time, propelled by gunpowder and righteousness, underneath a sky of thunder. I have a book. I am caught up in battles and loves, both forbidden and forgotten, coursing like blood as long as the words will—that immortal, fresh, abiding blood that bears respect above regret and commitment above the ease of dishonor.
My chores are going to be put aside for at least an hour or
two before bed, and I’ll pick up a mug of hot tea and that book. I’ll let it transport me to
somewhere far away until a chime will toll for warriors, for battles won and
those so easily lost. As my hand turns the pages, I will move among people who
lived and died, or perhaps never existed at all, their shadows not of flesh or
blood but imagination, shadows as strong as finely-honed steel, and shadows as
quiet as murmuring breath, forgotten until they were put upon paper. Then, upon
hearing the sharp, clear, and quiet blade-like sound of that chime, perhaps a
clock, perhaps something that just travels within me, I will fall off into
sleep. The book lies prone on the nightstand next to me. The book and I are two
forms, creating one shadow. The stories in both of us never cease, even at
rest. Outside, the world continues in that illusion of change, the sky letting
go of its tears, washing a parched landscape anew.



Beautiful words, thank you for sharing with us!
ReplyDeleteBrigid, books are almost a religious experience for me. They were some of my earliest friends and remain so even today. In some cases I read books as a child that as an adult I hunted down to collect.
ReplyDeleteThere is something about a book - its weight, its physicality, the feeling of it - that cannot be replicated with technology. As pictures are less the thing pictures, so is a book on a screen less than the actual book itself. The two - the physical nature and words - are joined in a ways that electrons never will be.
(I, too, am a great bringer of books on trips, sometimes to the point of gentle mockery by my family who inevitably asks why my backpack or suitcase is so heavy.)