Didn't MD (McDonnell-Douglas) take over production quite a few years back? I think the MD 500 series has been in use for a while now. I really like the NOTAR version (although I don't think it's popularity really took off ;-)
Army designator OH6. Factory called it Hughes 500. The FAA somehow (don't know if it this was decided by then Hughes or the FAA, recognized it as a Hughes 369A. About early 80's they modified the tail, adding a "T" type tail, changed from two bladed tail rotar to four, and (FWIR) from a four to a five main rotar system. I think that was the 500D, aka 369E.
I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.
Hughes 530?
ReplyDeleteMerle
Didn't MD (McDonnell-Douglas) take over production quite a few years back? I think the MD 500 series has been in use for a while now. I really like the NOTAR version (although I don't think it's popularity really took off ;-)
DeleteArmy designator OH6. Factory called it Hughes 500. The FAA somehow (don't know if it this was decided by then Hughes or the FAA, recognized it as a Hughes 369A. About early 80's they modified the tail, adding a "T" type tail, changed from two bladed tail rotar to four, and (FWIR) from a four to a five main rotar system. I think that was the 500D, aka 369E.
DeleteIt's like flying a turbo 911S Porsche....
Nice Loach. Does the gunner have a c-ration can screwed to the left side of that pig, I wonder?
ReplyDeleteNeeds some rocket pods, huge speakers, and a reel-to-reel tape player with Wagner spooled up.
ReplyDelete(Yes, I know Col. Kilgore & co. flue Hueys...)
I bear Delta and the Nighthawks are fond of the "Little birds".....
ReplyDeleteKiowas! :-)
ReplyDeleteMy son Tim was a crew chief for the Nighthawks.
ReplyDeleteYou must be pretty proud. That was an incredible bunch of airmen.
DeleteYou must be pretty proud. That was an incredible bunch of airmen.
Delete