Okay I give up! What is that rig? At first when I looked at the top, thought it was some kind of grinder but didn't see any place for the stuff to come out!
It's hard to argue with logic like that, but we all know that somewhere out there, someone either has tried or will try, and a lawyer will be along shortly.
ERL, You need to find an antique engine/tractor show in your area; they're held world-wide. That Bamford was on display at the Portland, IN show if I'm not mistaken, and I'm guessing that the owner is a retired nuclear engineer. (no kidding!) Tell me where your approximate location is, and I'll help you find a show that's more or less local to you.
Hey Jim, Thanks for the info. I've been a mechanic for about 65 years bikes (Indians, HD's and Triumphs),cars,trucks, airplanes, and heavy equipment but have never come across one of those. Did't know it was a Brit engine. I was looking for an output shaft or something but couldn't see one. Went to their site and saw tons of them. They ran everything off of a flat belt on the other end of the flywheel shaft! Couldn't find a good picture of the guts of the thing. Thanks again, and thank you to Brigid for letting me go off topic. I know see loves steamers though!
ERL, Check these sites: http://neatta.org/ http://www.bellshome.com/shows.htm http://www.atis.net/MummertShows/show_dir_r_to_w.html
The last link is a good one for anyone to use, but FWIW:, I did a Bing search for "antique tractor show Rhode Island" There are shows al Summer long, all over the country.
That Bamford is a "hit 'n miss" engine. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit-and-miss_engine
Here's a thread that may be of interest, it includes a short video of one of my model engines driving a model sawmill: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/58580-The-Sawmill-Dream-comes-true!-Pics-so-you-know-it-happened!?highlight=sawmill
I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.
As well as anything else you treasure......
ReplyDeleteMerle
Okay I give up! What is that rig? At first when I looked at the top, thought it was some kind of grinder but didn't see any place for the stuff to come out!
ReplyDeleteI assume you could connect a flat belt and drive pretty much anything you wanted to.
DeleteMerle
Just went back and embiggened the pictured and discovered the coil,wire, and spark plug. but what is driving?
ReplyDeleteThe sparkplug is driven by a Wyco Magneto. It's a reciprocating style (look for the brass box between the fly wheels).
Deletehttp://henrybamfordandsonsuttoxeterengland.co.uk/ .
It's hard to argue with logic like that, but we all know that somewhere out there, someone either has tried or will try, and a lawyer will be along shortly.
ReplyDeleteSpinning things ... and the 5000 lbs of ANFO Jamie and Adam detonated for the final moments of "Mythbusters" last episode. :)
ReplyDeleteERL,
ReplyDeleteYou need to find an antique engine/tractor show in your area; they're held world-wide. That Bamford was on display at the Portland, IN show if I'm not mistaken, and I'm guessing that the owner is a retired nuclear engineer. (no kidding!) Tell me where your approximate location is, and I'll help you find a show that's more or less local to you.
Hey Jim, Thanks for the info. I've been a mechanic for about 65 years bikes (Indians, HD's and Triumphs),cars,trucks, airplanes, and heavy equipment but have never come across one of those. Did't know it was a Brit engine. I was looking for an output shaft or something but couldn't see one. Went to their site and saw tons of them. They ran everything off of a flat belt on the other end of the flywheel shaft! Couldn't find a good picture of the guts of the thing. Thanks again, and thank you to Brigid for letting me go off topic. I know see loves steamers though!
ReplyDeleteJim, I live on an Island off the coast of RI. Block Island is the name. Sorryyyy!
ReplyDeleteExcellent advice! Just ask any mom that's got a child with a zhu zhu pet tangled up in their hair! Cool piece of machinery!
ReplyDeleteERL,
ReplyDeleteCheck these sites:
http://neatta.org/
http://www.bellshome.com/shows.htm
http://www.atis.net/MummertShows/show_dir_r_to_w.html
The last link is a good one for anyone to use, but FWIW:, I did a Bing search for "antique tractor show Rhode Island" There are shows al Summer long, all over the country.
That Bamford is a "hit 'n miss" engine. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit-and-miss_engine
Here's a thread that may be of interest, it includes a short video of one of my model engines driving a model sawmill: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/58580-The-Sawmill-Dream-comes-true!-Pics-so-you-know-it-happened!?highlight=sawmill