Face Palm Skeleton - on my shelf of Geek.
I worked from home today to complete a legally convoluted compilation of dead electrons that involved big words, a new computer database that hates me, and the dance of the seven interrogatories after a spider came down on a thread from the ceiling. Abby Normal the Lab mix rescue enjoys these days. She still gets a dog walker around lunchtime, as I only get 30 minutes for lunch which means that's usually "sandwich and a load of laundry or dinner in the crockpot time".
Abby is much more demure than Barkley ever was, but she's developed quite the personality over time, and like other females in the house, she'll let you know when she's unhappy :-)
Did I ever tell you the undercoat of her fur is most definitely red?
Abby is much more demure than Barkley ever was, but she's developed quite the personality over time, and like other females in the house, she'll let you know when she's unhappy :-)
Did I ever tell you the undercoat of her fur is most definitely red?
We keep a large water bowl in the living room by the front door, on a mat next to her food bowl. She likes it there where she can get to it easily from all her favorite nap places. On days I work from home, I fill it in the morning, then top it off at lunch as she likes to drink a bunch before the dog walker shows up (more for pee-mail!). Then when they get back she'll drink a little bit more. I normally then don't have to refill until supper as by then she's had her fill. When I'm gone to the office the dog walker checks on her water supply.
Today, after her walk, I noticed she was looking at her water bowl which was empty but for a sheen of water on the bottom. She must have drunk a TON of water before and after her walk as I'd just filled it completely up before she went out. She'd been little miss Sulky Pants today as Partner in Grime was off to work very early for a meeting so her morning food was 30 minutes late as I don't get up when he normally does on the days I telework. Plus she didn't get a long walk in early. It's Chicago - we live in the city, not the suburbs, so even in this fairly quiet area I do not walk the streets in the dark in case the prisons open their doors and let out all the convicted former governors. But she got some time in the fenced and lit yard while I watch from the back porch while coffee brews.
"Yes, Abby, I know it's empty." I also knew she was unlikely thirsty, having drunk pretty much a whole large bowl within the last hour and a half and it not being a warm day out on her walk. So I went to the basement to get her new bag of dog food opened and in her food container and then I would refill the water.
When I went out to get the water bowl less than 10 minutes later - she left me a sign of her irritation that I hadn't promptly refilled it immediately.
Get this. . .
She POOPED in her empty water dish. Not sure how, but her aim was spot on.
Some disinfectant and scrubbing later she had some water, which she barely lapped at after giving me the look that said
"I'm gonna tell Dad!"
Thank heavens your back. LOL at Abby as I have a cat who gets quite irritated when a bowl gets empty. When I fill it she looks over her shoulder and then plops both front paws into it and begins to fling water everywhere with me being the main target. They do get cranks.
ReplyDeleteShe is a hoot, very much her own personality. We got her as a senior mixed breed rescue. She'd had multiple litters of pups so we think she was probably mated with a purebread retriever and the pups passed off as purebred. She was dumped in a high kill shelter in a very impoverished area in the Appalachians and when the rescue heard the whole shelter was being shut down by the county and the dogs put down, they went and grabbed as many as they could driving 12 hours round trip. I'm so glad we got her.
Delete"... in case the prisons open their doors and let out all the convicted former governors." (gigglesnort)
ReplyDeleteAbby seems determined to make up for lost time, behavior-wise. Lucky you!
She has brought us a ton of joy - but there was that first trip home to Chicago after we adopted her. http://mausersandmuffins.blogspot.com/2014/05/driving-miss-abby-dog-physics.html
DeleteMethinks that would be "splat on" but then you are the mistress on the spot... Great to see you back on the open forum
ReplyDelete"splat on" HAAAAAA! Glad to see you have returned as well. I've always appreciate your erudite comments.
DeleteLove it, if she could only talk!
ReplyDeletelol too funny, and only you would find a Lab with red hair :D Oh and by the way other breeds of dog do the "poop in improbable Places when miffed" but that takes the cake :D
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking she is part Irish Setter or Flat Coated Retriever based on the coloring and a muzzle shape that from the side is not pure lab. She had lots of puppies so she was probably bred with a purebred and the copies sold as "purebrad, no papers, cheap".
DeleteNothing worse than a tattle tale dog.... :)
ReplyDeleteMerle
I am so happy to see you back. He aim is incredible. I have a Husky mix that would miss the earth if it didn't stop each time he wanted to poop.
ReplyDeleteThat made me giggle. I have a friend who had a lab very embarrassed to poop in front of anyone, so he's go stick his head in a bush and then do his business. . "if I can't see you. . . . ."
Delete