Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Buckles

No, not THIS kind of buckle.

THIS Kind:
Blueberry Buckle.

Since many of you have not had access to my recipes, I thought I'd add a couple of extra ones this month.  This was pretty quick to put together and not requiring more than some measuring implements, a spoon and a couple of bowls. Plus it was a huge hit with my husband. It's a "not too sweet" cake, loaded with juicy fruit topped with a crackly, spiced sugar and butter topping.
Abby Lab with her squeaky squirrel looked less than excited until she could start smelling it - it made the whole house smell wonderful.

In a large bowl mix with wooden spoon until blended and creamy:

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk


Stir in:
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Fold in:
1 cup dry blueberries

Topping:

In a small bowl mix and set aside:

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup sifted flour
2 pinches cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter cut into pieces, nuked until about half melted and soft

Grease an 8 x 8-inch glass pan

Pour blueberry batter in pan.

With clean fingers, sprinkle on the streusel topping

Bake in 350 F. oven 45 minutes.

You’ll get some melty sugar on a knife or toothpick when tested for doneness but there should be no wet batter when done.  Run a knife around the edge when slightly cooled, as the topping does tend to stick to the pan - that makes it much easier to serve.

9 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering. I will pick up ingredients tomorrow and make can't wait to taste. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It apparently packs pretty well in a lunch bag, being a little more durable than most cakes, so husband has requested it again in the future (he likes to take a little homemade goodie for his morning coffee time at the plant).

      Delete
  3. You're killing me here. But I haven't started that diet yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat pretty healthy during the week, but as I think I told our pastor during homemade banana sour cream cake last Sunday "5 days a week my body is a temple, the other two days it's an amusement park.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is definitely something we have been waiting for. Can't wait to try this out with a cup of coffee--and ice cream will be a necessity. Wonder how bacon would go with it . . . ? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blueberry Buckle is mouth watering delicious. I will definitely make this one again and again. Thank you Brigid.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.