Monday, December 8, 2008

The Meme that wouldn't die. . . . . .

The batphone has rung so for tonight, a short post that I hope will make at least one or two of you smile. . . .

The meme going around. 100 things I've done. Those in bold, are it.

1. Started your own blog.

2. Slept under the stars.
3. Played in a band. (clarinet)
4. Visited Hawaii. (Not vacation, work trip.)
5. Watched a meteor shower.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to Disneyland. (The old original one.)
8. Climbed a mountain. (well ,technical hike more than climb, Mt. Hood, much younger with better knees.)
9. Held a praying mantis. (What are you, nuts?. . the females eat entire cars and their boyfriends after mating.)
10. Sang a solo. (People will pay me not to.)
11. Bungee jumped.
12. Visited Paris. (Not for a holiday, a quick stop and go while going elsewhere.)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. (Does making brownies count as "art"?)
15. Adopted a child. (No, but was the birth mother of one.)
16. Had food poisoning. (All airport food tastes like chicken.)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.

18. Grown your own vegetables.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.
20. Slept on an overnight train. (it's on the "bucket list")
21. Had a pillow fight. ( I'm the only girl in the family, think pillow massacre.)
22. Hitch hiked. (Not smart. . I know.)
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. (I was sick of meetings, that counts.)
24. Built a snow fort.
25. Held a lamb. (They ARE tasty, though.)
26. Gone skinny dipping. (Is that like chunky dunking?)
27. Run a Marathon. (I did ride my bike 50 miles to raise money for diabetes once.)
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice.
29. Seen a total eclipse.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
31. Hit a home run. (But I caught a fly ball at an Texas League game once.)
32. Been on a cruise. (Ugh - no thanks.)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. (Scotland, I love it there.)
35. Seen an Amish community.
36. Taught yourself a new language.
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. (My needs are simple, friends, food, a fire, a dog, my guns and books)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
39. Gone rock climbing.
40. Seen Michelangelo's David.
41. Sung karaoke. (Only once and it involved bourbon. I was in south Florida -the song I chose was Willy Nelson's "blue eyes crying in the rain", but I sang it as "blue hairs driving in my lane", or so I'm told.)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant.
44. Visited Africa.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
46. Been transported in an ambulance. (Got life flighted once.)
47. Had your portrait painted.
48. Gone deep sea fishing. (With my Dad.)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. (Snorkeling yes, and it was grand.)
52. Kissed in the rain.

53. Played in the mud.
54. Gone to a drive-in theater. (My Dad took us once when I was really little.)
55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
57. Started a business.
58. Taken a martial arts class.
59. Visited Russia. (Tonight's dinner menu - horse and cream!)
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies.
62. Gone whale watching.
63. Got flowers for no reason. (There is ALWAYS a reason for flowers, it's just not always apparent,)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma. (I'm O negative, the universal donor, they like me to show up, I've been known to take bribes of extra Oreos to show up as I do not like needles in me,)
65. Gone sky diving.
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.
67. Bounced a check. (I was 17 but most of Congress has, what's one more,)
68. Flown in a helicopter.
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.
71. Eaten Caviar. (Ewwwww - bait!)
72. Pieced a quilt.
73. Stood in Times Square. (Not without my concealed carry I won't,)
74. Toured the Everglades. (It would have been more fun if I'd got to drive the airboat.)
75. Been fired from a job. (I was 18, it involved wearing an elf costume, Santa and the mall, don't ask,)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London. (Saw the guards, didn't have the patience for the change,)
77. Broken a bone. (Arm twice, rib, nose and fingers.)
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.
80. Published a book.
81. Visited the Vatican.
82. Bought a brand new car. (Jeep years ago.)
83. Walked in Jerusalem. (No, I'm all for history but I prefer outdoor cafes without exploding things on the menu.)
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible. (Most of it, but not all.)
86. Visited the White House. (Got invited to the last two inaugurations but wimped out because I'd have to get all dressed up - doubt I'll see an invite to this one.)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. (Thanksgiving 2000, 19 pound jake.)
88. Had chickenpox.
89. Saved someone’s life. (Not directly.)
90. Sat on a jury. (Got called once but given my job, I was disqualified.)
91. Met someone famous. (Wasn't impressed.)
92. Joined a book club.
93. Lost a loved one.
94. Had a baby.
95. Seen the Alamo in person. (It's wedged between these two giant buildings, sort of sad to look at.)
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake. (Remember The Far Side "Slug Family Disasters!")
97. Been involved in a law suit. (Only as a witness for one side - I do that a lot.)
98. Owned a cell phone.
99. Been stung by a bee. (African or European?)
100. Read an entire book in one day. (Usually Robert Parker, they're one day books but I enjoy them.)

21 comments:

  1. LOL I pinched the list from Roberta K but havent posted it yet. You beat me to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, nice blog and wonderful writing. A pleasure to read, which I almost never say about anything. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James - you are right. BTW. . When I try to post a comment on our blog it says I've posted too many comments and it won't take it. Since I haven't posted one in ages, not sure why, but other readers might be having the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brigid,
    Making brownies most certainly counts as art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my life doesn't look so extremely insignificant next to yours since I've experienced some things you haven't. Of course, they don't mention the piloting the jet airliner thing and the Alaskan Bush Pilot thing and the... oh, ferget it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #87: A 19-lb jake? That's a big turkey! And, believe me, it takes one to know one. Turkey hunting is TOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and making brownies the way YOU make them IS an art.

    Captcha: whaci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turk - the only thing I like about turkey hunting is they can't smell like the whitetail. I can wear my cherry lipgloss. . but if I even blink. . . GONE!!!!

    As for the brownies, I know that's a less than subtle hint. When you all are out here for the holidays. I'll make more. Just name your poison (turtle, truffle, snickers brownies, plain)

    I have the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can we get a post about the Scotland trip? As an American of Scots/Irish heritage I've always wanted to visit. Oh, and out of curiosity, what type of martial art was it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "When I try to post a comment on our blog it says I've posted too many comments and it won't take it. Since I haven't posted one in ages, not sure why, but other readers might be having the same problem."

    Thank you kindly for the heads up.

    I've been having problems since TypeKey, which I was using to reduce spam comments, performed some sort of update last month. I'm trying to get everything straitened out, but I won't have a whole lot of free time to work on it until I wrap up the charity course at the end of the month.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  11. #23 is known in my family as a "mental-health day"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cowboy Blob weighs in....

    "Well, my life doesn't look so extremely insignificant next to yours since I've experienced some things you haven't."

    I always say that everyone lives a unique life, just as everyone has something meaningful to contribute while they are here.

    From what I've read of your past experiences (your military career, serving overseas, and your involvement in the shooting sports since you've retired), I would have to say that you really can't be counted second to too many people.

    Sure, you might not have fulfilled *ALL* your dreams. But who manages to do that?

    James

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brigid,

    Yes, I did smile, and I needed that tonight. So, thanks.

    Martyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. 16 is Oh so true... Even the fish at the Japanese airports tastes like Chicken :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've done a few on that list as well. Some I simply never had a desire to deal with. Some, like going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, I simply couldn't handle!

    My wife still laughs when she recalls the look on my face when we had to get off the elevator at the second level and walk around the platform to get to the final elevator to the top. Eyes as big as saucers, breath coming fast, back to the interior wall and side-stepping my way around to get to a down elevator as quickly as I could. (And this from a professional military aviator!) Severe acrophobia.

    No gondola ride in Venice, but a wonder speedboat across the lagoon to Cipriani's island restaurant in a 12th century monastery.

    "And wheeled and soared and done a thousand things you haven't dreamed of."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brigid,

    Thanks to you (and many others), I'll be posting my list later today.

    I was concerned, as CB states, that my list would pale compared to others. There's a lot of things I haven't done that I'd have liked to; there's a lot of places I've left to go.

    But my list is, well, my list. My life carries many regrets with it, but without those regrets, I'd be a different, lesser person...

    Thanks for the push!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Flyer with acrophobia, that's me! I have no problem in the airplane, but the parachute let-down device tower was almost my undoing! I'm short enough that I had to tiptoe to reach the chute buckles at the platform edge...with no support. Yikes!

    word verf: essess

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate to say this, but I've been to Venice and didn't ride in a gondola. Does a motor whaleboat count?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I reckon your cooking counts as art.

    Also, I indeed hope you find the right man to help you with number 52.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.