Saturday, August 19, 2017

Stripper Clips - A Barkley Memory

When you have a Labrador retriever, you never know WHAT kind of trouble he can get  into.

I've never been in a strip club.  Just saying.  Many moons ago and before political correctness took over most workplaces,  I worked at a place where there was one close by the facility.  We were kind of out in the middle of no where and there wasn't much around in the way of decent dining establishments. The club was actually a high rent one, from the looks of the outside of the building and they had a full service restaurant inside.  For the sake of discretion, I will call the place "Bouncing Betty's". Several of my colleagues would go there for lunch when they tired of eating microwaved leftovers from home in their "business casual" or at the greasy burger place. Never after work though, all them trotting off happily home.  But they'd do lunch there. They were always back within the required lunch period, soda pop on their breath and smiling.  I said "you go to a strip joint for lunch?"  They said "the sandwiches are REALLY good!  Uh, yeah.

You could always tell when someone went. You'd ask where they went to eat and they'd  avert their eyes and say "uh. .mumble mumble diner". . but there would be glitter in their hair.
One day, a group was headed there for lunch, and one of the young fellows was unable to go due to a meeting he had to attend.  He was pretty disappointed.  I said "you could have them bring you back one of those GREAT sandwiches."  He just sulked a little.

When he came in the next day, on his desk was a brown paper lunch bag on which was printed with a pen, the words "Bouncing Betty's To Go Lunch".  Inside was a peanut butter sandwich, some glitter and, a G- string"

I have NO idea who put that there  :-)

So, although I have no personal knowledge of what goes on in such places, there's not much my delicate (ahem) little ears haven't heard.

Which leads to my story, or rather, Barkley's story. 
I carry a purse that has some compartments inside where I can zip important things, but the main part of the purse is just a collection area for keys and essentials, which includes the occasional grocery receipt/coupon and a couple dollars in change (and the occasional flung brass which is why this is not my travel purse).

Barkley and I  were hanging out with Midwest Chick when I set the purse down as I came into the house, a couple single dollar bills just slightly sticking out of the top, which I'd failed to close.

IN A FLASH, BARKLEY HAS SNAGGED A SINGLE BILL IN HIS TEETH AND RUNS OUT THE BACK DOOR.

Midwest Chick (excitedly) "He's got your DOLLAR!  Where's he going ?"

Me (heavy sigh):  "Oh Great - probably off to the strip club . . ."

When Midwest Chick and I quit laughing, the dollar and dog were rounded up, not too much the worse for wear, but then I had a sulking black lab..


But they told me I could get a private lab dance there!

7 comments:

  1. Hmm... I found a dollar by my mailbox this morning. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a sulking lab who could not go and hang out with his friends at the nearest "tail wagging" diner :) Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTF, that's a visual that'll keep me laughing all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to be careful at the state fair petting zoo, lest the critters snatch dollar bills out of my pocket.

    Surprisingly, it was the fawn, not the goats, that succeeded. Ate it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tire of the Barkley stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. More likely, he associated the dollar bills with chicken sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story, haha!

    I had a similar but not nearly as funny experience with our vizslas. I left a sealed envelope holding $80 cash on the kitchen table for my wife to use to pay a bill. When she returned and went to retrieve it, there was no sign of the money, so she replaced it with her own. During the finger pointing later about who was mistaken, Penny and Rusty remained silent and their squeaky clean record kept them far above any suspicion. That is, until later that day when we found half of the cash along with the envelope, that they had 'laundered' in their own way, in a vain attempt to hide their involvement. No idea what they blew the other $40 on...

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family far away and to share my life and writing with friends. Comments are welcome but please treat this place as you would visiting any friend. I want everyone to feel at home here. If you post advertising for a business or service and I do NOT know you, it will be reported as SPAM. Don't even bother.