Friday, May 1, 2009

Turkey Season - Time to Grab Breakfast

Getting up early to go hunting for Spring Turkey? There are many things to consider. Weather, wind, gear, environment. But one thing most people don't consider is having breakfast first. I admit, especially during whitetail season where I'm jumping up and down by the door like Barkley, I often just grab a piece of homemade bread with peanut butter and I'm gone. But there's something worth getting up an extra 45 minutes early for, to make a stick to the ribs hunters breakfast. Sausage and Bourbon Gravy and Biscuits. The bourbon doesn't add enough alcohol to impair your performance, and you don't really taste it until the end of each bite, where it lends just a light but deep finish.Watching your refined carbs or looking for something meat free? Grab a cast iron skillet for Red Pepper and Potato Frittata. Now - don't you feel better. The sun's almost up time to head out into the farm fields, and the woods. I've given you some hints for a couple good nourishing hunters breakfasts but how about some hunts for the new turkey hunter. Gear - Unlike whitetails, turkeys have been found to see and assimilate some colors. Both the females and the subordinate toms react to the changing blues, reds and whites of a dominant gobbler’s head and neck during the spring breeding season. For the female turkeys (hens) the color-pulsing head stimulates them for mating, for the beta toms, it suppresses the breeding urge (no thanks, you take the pretty one. . ) Even so, laws are such that you must wear some hunters orange on your person when hunting turkeys. I've known people that turkey hunted in "street clothes" but if your clothes are not patterned to be in harmony with the local environment and you stick out like an elephant at a steel plate shoot, you might as well say goodbye to the hunt and go home. I like RealTree products, but spent my first few seasons in an old set of coveralls from BigBoxMart. But whatever the manufacturer, you want clothing that becomes part of the environment you are in that day. Care of your care is also essential. If you are a female hunter, I can about bet you will be doing your own laundry. Trust me gents, we know that "look I did the laundry for you and (insert one here) shrunk, dyed pink, ruined your favorite shirt" is a plot to get out from doing laundry again. It's OK. We know that, and we love you anyway. Call me old fashioned but I like taking care of your stuff. But no matter who does the laundry in your house, use a soap free of scent. If UV brighteners are utilized, the dyes present in some fabrics make the UV wavelengths stand out or "bounce"(look at me Mr. Turkey!), making them more visible to game. There are specific detergents that prevent this from happening; absorbing the UV so the clothes do not fade easily. When not in use, store your hunting clothes in airtight bags after thoroughly drying (I dry outside on a line) to keep them safe from dust, insects and household "man-like" odors.
Turkey Physiology Basics - You don't need ear lobes to hear like no one's business. Turkeys have amazingly acute hearing. Using small holes in the sides of their head, they can pinpoint the location of another turkey (or a hunter mimicking a turkey) with remarkable precision. As you go out to where you are going to hunt, remember, heavy footsteps, the slapping of body or hands against brush, or even that distinctive "click" of you pressing your shotgun safety can send the turkey running and ducking for cover. You may NOT see him again, that day. On the plus side, turkeys have a poor sense of smell. You don't have to study the wind to the degree you do with whitetail hunting. I don't have to worry my shampoo will be too much scent and if I put on some cherry lip gloss, it won't scare away the game.

A turkey has monocular vision (eyes set in the sides of its head). But they make up for the lack of 3D sight by cocking the head left or right to gauge distance between them, other turkeys and danger, including you. If you thought that grade school teacher had eyes in the back of her head, think again. A turkey can twist it's long, limber neck 360 degrees, literally giving it eyes in the back of its head. Their night vision is poor, which is why I set up while it is dark. During the day, the turkey sees more sharply than a human with 20/20 sight. These laser-like eyes are the turkey’s primary method of "home defense" and you can be assured he is looking for you.

Turkeys are fast, preferring to run. You think you've got the perfect shot, turn your head where he can see you for just a microsecond, and he explodes!. Ducking his head and tucking in low to the ground he'll dart off faster than a 67 Cuda. Turkeys have been clocked at up to 12 mph, and their lean, strong muscular legs, though making only for good soup stock, not eating, can catapult him into the air for flights up to 400 yards. Turkeys have been recorded at flight speeds up to 50 mph, and even after that short burst of flight, the turkey can set its wings and glide another half mile to elude you. This is one area I will caution the beginner. You do need to learn to sit still. Scratch your head, lift your arm and if they sense or see you -bye bye, bird. Turkeys are skittish from the moment they peck out of their shells, growing more so each day of life as they elude their many predators. A falling limb, the shadow of a hawk, that turkey you are hunting is burning holes in the brush with his sharp eyes looking for danger. It is not a hunting sport for the fidgety. You also might want to consider who you invite to tag along. On one hunt, right as we called in three nice Jakes (young male turkeys), the vegetarian girlfriend of one of the guys, who begged to go along, jumped up and yelled. "Run, Mr. Turkey, Run for your life!" Nice girl, but I didn't ever see her again when we all gathered for beer and war stories.

Calling - a mouth call is popular, but I certainly didn't take to it like a "duck to water" or even a "turkey to Spring". So mostly I have used a slate call. There's lots of good info on the web for choosing a turkey call., so I won't get into it here. It sort of goes without saying that in making your call in Springtime, it's best to mimic a love starved hen. But don't rule out some gobbler clucking and yelping. That might work better than you think as you sound like a happy drifter amongst turkey society. A subordinate longbeard who's getting neither "lucky" or rich, looking for a buddy to hang out with may come to check you out. Or a dominant gobbler may strut over to kick your ass.

I once had a helpful fellow at my favorite outdoors store in Springfield sell me a hoot owl call, guaranteeing me it would get the turkeys to gobble. He also gave me some guidance on good places to hunt, close to town, but "off the beaten track" and open to the public. A park service road would take you up to a perfect hillside spot to hunt, with lots of turkeys. So I drove in a ways to hunt, deep into that forest in southwest Missouri, setting up on the side of an Ozark mountain. You want to sneak up as close as you dare to a roosted turkey, then set up and
listen. If the tom thinks he's Tom Jones and starts belting out love tunes and you hear no hens clucking, yelping or throwing their underwear at him, don’t call too early. Wait until the sky glimmers pink, then cast out a tree yelp and a few soft clucks to let the bird know you’re there. There on the side of that desolate Ozark mountain hillside, I did just that. As light broke the landscape I hooted. I waited. I heard another hoot. Then silence, then another hoot, and another, and another. Oh My Lord- it was an OWL convention! I never did see or hear a turkey, or see a turkey. Going back to area's only hotel, I ran into about a dozen empty handed hunters in the lobby grabbing coffee, who apparently had the same idea to hunt this remote spot. I looked at them and said "hoot owl call? Salesman Bill at Springfield Bass Pro?" They looked at me and said "yup".

I had better luck closer to home, where I drew a nice Jake in with a slate call. Remember if he gobbles at you loudly, BE QUIET! He thinks you’re a hen, and he knows where you are. If you don't hear him trying to chat you up though, cluck and yelp just a bit more to get his attention over to where you and your trusty shotgun are sitting. If it's too quiet, relax. Listening carefully for thumping wings as he heads down out of the tree. As he lands, throw out a little cackle his way. He might wander over to check you out. Once he starts walking your way, you may not have to call again.

Allow the turkey to approach within 30-35 yards. Do not raise your shotgun quickly, so not to spook him. Bring the shotgun up slowly and smoothly and take aim for the turkey's head or the eye. Body shots often results in a wounded bird or a big mess to clean up to prepare him for the pot. Be sure of your target.
Do not shoot through brush, thinking you see a turkey. As in ANY shooting, clearly identify your target before getting near the trigger.

These are just a few tips I've learned. I'm always learning, never the expert, just someone that loves to shoot, and the shooting sports. Make a friend of a turkey hunter, someone to learn from. There are organizations such as the National Wild Turkey Federation, made up of men and women that know turkeys and hunt turkeys. If you don't know any turkey hunters, ask at your local sporting goods dealer. He or she will know most of the turkey hunters in your local area from purchases made and may be able to steer you towards individuals, clubs or groups that love to share their knowledge. Don't forget your state's Department of Conversation. They may well know those in your area that can teach you as many states have a hunter mentoring program. If you have a mentor, your chances of learning quickly and more easily are assured.

Will I get a turkey from these tips? I hope so because I've got this recipe for cornbread succotash stuffing I'm ready to try. Those hunting breakfasts are great, but they do wear off.

19 comments:

Asphyxiated Emancipation said...

So very wrong. You can't go posting pictures of food like that and not post the recipe, as well.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Fantastic! maybe next year will be the year i make it over the pond to hunt Turkey. You make it sound like a great challenge.
SBW

Brigid said...

AE - almost there. I usually have them both ready to go up at the same time, but a neighbor stopped by to return a tool from the barn.

Should be up within 5 minutes on the sidebar.

Suburban Bushwacker - yes, a big challenge, and a lot more fun than I thought before I tried it.

Ed Rasimus said...

I'm sorry, but the owl call story and the trek to the back of beyond in some Ozark "holler" a long way from the roads had me flashing on Deliverance.

RC said...

Congrats on you article in USCCA.

Rev. Paul said...

I've had turkeys traipse within 20 feet of me, while I reclined comfortable under a cedar tree in deer season. The shot would have been easy - except they were out of season.

I usually saw more turkeys than deer, back in mid-Missouri. Your Ozarks story made me laugh & remember. Thanks.

WV: antivent = rule against ranting on someone else's blog

davkt said...

Wish we had things as good as that to hunt (and the space to just go out and do it) here in the UK! Would love to give it a go!

Sigboy said...

The irony of turkey hunting is that, I too, love to sitting in the bush, fully camo'd and clucking and purring like a sluty hen, however mine never ends with a bird in hand.

Brigid said...

"clucking and purring like a slutty hen". Oh my. . you made me laugh until I had tears in my eyes.

I bring home a turkey maybe 20% of the time, if that, but I still enjoy it.

drjim said...

Great article, Brigid!
I've never been on a turkey hunt (well...maybe at work!), but it sounds like fun.
The only hunting experience I have is pheasant hunting with my Uncle Don and my Dad. Great times in the fields with Uncle Don's dogs after all the corn was harvested.

Bruce B. said...

"The most important meal of the day" applies especially for a hunter's breakfast. Great food photos.

I LOL'd about the "Ozarks owl convention"

A good post that has me thinking about trying to hunt turkeys in the next season.

I've only seen wild turkeys by the roadside on rare occasions and the resident flock at the gun club (which we aren't allowed to hunt, it'd be too easy, they ignore gunfire and people unless you're within 20 yards of them.)

Old NFO said...

Good food, good advice, what more can we ask??? THANKS!

theotherryan said...

One question. Why four shells in the butt stock shot shell holder?

Borepatch said...

Run for your life, Bambi!You have the patience of Job.

Oh, and the CAPTCHA is "belymen". If we all keep eating these recipes, there will be deep truth in that ....

Somerled said...

How long did it take for the XGF to untie herself and walk back to civilization after saving Mr. Turkey?

Castr8r said...

I have turkeys roost in my "back yard" every year and really enjoy watching the youngin's grow up and learn. They do get used to seeing people and will pay you little attention if you're not too close- 'cept for that one ol' hen that keeps an eye on everything. However; when I decide that maybe a young jake would be toothsome- they vanish! Still, they are fun to watch! I saw half grown turkeys playing with half grown fawns several years ago. One of the few times I wished for a movie camera.
Does turkey go well with Morels? Got any good Morel recipes?

theotherryan said...

Brigid, Good deal. I just found it a bit of an oddity in your otherwise meticulous photography.

TOTWTYTR said...

You must have smarter turkeys than the ones around here. Or maybe ours are just smug knowing that there aren't that many hunters in this part of the state.

A couple of months ago a flock of them was walking through my back yard. The not only didn't seem scared, they seemed annoyed that anyone would dare to step outside.

Not to mention that they just walk out into the middle of the street, daring anyone to run them over.

Sigboy said...

Your post brought back this memory,
http://thesigboychronicles.blogspot.com/2009/05/tortuous-turkey-tales.html , and I only used the word slutty twice!