Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chewie, Dewey and Louie - An Adventure Continued


When the day starts with homemade Pumpkin Roll, it's going to be good.

I have had several guests drop by in the last few days, a gal friend from college coming through town for a quick hello with her spouse, before heading on East, and later, my favorite engineer, also on his way through to visit family, and able to stay a bit. The Range was readied and lots of things baked.

Breakfast was intended to be dessert that night, but it just smelled too good to pass up with morning coffee before heading out.

To the Wookie Mobile!!

Roberta X had to work so we missed having her along though I did bring pie and cookies to Roseholme Cottage. Tam looked at the pie. It's a look you don't want to see if you are either a bad guy or a baked good. I said "there's enough for you and Bobbie". She looked at the pie again and said "Roberta's allergic to gluten does that have gluten? I said "it's made of glutenberries". She smiled. Fortunately, I also had a bag of freshly baked gluten free macaroons made out of ground almonds, egg whites, sugar and pixie dust.

First, a stop at the amazing Artisano's. I've used their products, especially their oils and specialty sugars and salts in many of my recipes. It's worth a drive to the city, the owner and staff being so helpful and samples of all the aged balsamic vinegars and fresh oils available to sip, including a Bourbon barrel aged 18 year old Balsamic with cherry. mmmmmmm.


I picked up a few refills I needed and some spices, salts, and sugars for Samantha, teenage daughter of Rev. Paul, as my way of saying congratulations on her new job in her journey towards a career as a chef. (Go check out the pie she just baked the family). Congratulations Sam and let me know what you do with the espresso and the black truffle salt (which was awesome in the mashed potato part of a lamb shepherds pie by the way).

Then, one more cooking supply stop before heading to the hobby store. We stopped for a model spaceship for Roberta's collection, but like kids, we soon found ourselves wandering and playing with everything while Chewie protested light rail in the train section.

I think I need to show these folks what a real potato gun is. Does this thing shoot hash browns? "Stop or I'll TOT?"

Tam:
"It's the derringer of potato guns!


What else do we have in model weaponry? My friend spots a trebuchet but it's not near big enough to launch a flaming sheep at the neighbor's loud party. Look, more weapons! Wood guns of all varieties. As a little kid, I would have loved one of these.


The ammo is at the front counter. Could be worse. I hear in California high powered rubber bands are illegal and Massachusetts requires a permit.


E.: "If you give me a file I can make this fully auto. . ."


Oh Look, 4-D Bacon! (In Pig O Vision)

By the door, a collection of little toys to play with, including some really neat wooden toys of various critters. Look! It's a little OWS Magical Mystery Machine!.

Uh OH. Mr. Anaconda approaches.

Anaconda: 1 Hippies: 0.

Love and Peace meets Economics 101 and the food chain.

Playtime over and purchases made, we headed off to BD's Mongolian Grill to conquer lunch.


They removed the giant wall sized mural of the marauding hordes, which was a disappointment, but the food was really good as always. You get a bowl to fill up at the table of meat (short of Spamalope they have every kind of domestic meat you can think of) and veggies. With your filled bowl, you also fill a little bowl of your favorite sauce (from mild to hot!) to which you can add all sorts of seasonings and then take it up to be cooked in front of you (with a fresh egg if you wish). That's entertainment, in and of itself.

There's soup, salad, desserts and some pricey yuppified drinks, but we just love the basic plunder. I got off to the table with my plate to find rice and tortillas to make wraps, while Tam and E. chat with the cook who prepares their order with swords and flair. If you walk out of here hungry it's your own fault.

We'd planned a stop at one of the big outdoor ranges, as Tam's guests, but it was still raining. Not just raining, like wear a hat, but monsoon pouring, so we had to pass.


One final stop at the Wall O'Imported Beer at Kahns, and a little shop in Broad Ripple that sells homemade pasta and it was time to head back. We left Tam with glutenberry pie, cookies and a big wave.

We're already planning where Chewie will show up next!

24 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm! Glutenberry pie!

    (I did share the macaroons, however. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where I need to be this time next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so full of awesome that I'm afraid my smile muscles are going to pop! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! I am cleaning the hall closet out for year end donations and people have a awesome day covered in awesome sauce?

    Damn I need to get out more!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    Friends are here and one of them is showing me the Kydex holster he made for me for the 9mm Bullet Hose. Sweet! Of course the negotiations have started.

    I am sorta the pre Thanksgiving activity for some. Noble task I think! Cheaper than therapy. So am am told.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 this post so much! I've gone back and looked at the pictures two or three times now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have accomplished mission impossible - making shopping fun. Congratulations!

    That pumpkin roll looks tasty, but we seem to have lost our appetite here. We had thanksgiving a day early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam's in the kitchen chopping celery for tomorrow's stuffing; I carried the laptop so she could see her mention here. She said, "Ooooh, I made the big-time, Dad!"

    Indeed. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am kidnapping your Boondock Saints comment and I truly love reading your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rev. Paul - your daughters are winners, as they have you two, as parents.

    Larry - I know how tough holidays are. Big hug.

    11 Bravo - welcome, and thank you.

    John - we both talked as to how sorry we were to have missed you before you deployed again. Come home safe. There will be hugs, ammo and baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems to be a Pumpkin Roll recipe missing...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post made me smile.
    Thank You

    Wishing you and your family a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pumpkin Roll -

    3 Eggs
    1 cup Sugar
    2/3 cup canned Pumpkin
    1 teaspoon Lemon juice
    3/4 cup All-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon Baking powder
    2 teaspoons Cinnamon
    2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1/2 teaspoon Salt

    Powdered sugar for assembling cake

    Filling:
    8 ounces Cream cheese -- softened
    1 teaspoon heavy cream
    5 tablespoons Butter
    1 to 1 and 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon Mexican Vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

    Preparation:
    In large bowl beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until thick and light yellow in color. Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing until blended.

    In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture, mixing well. Spread batter into greased and waxed-paper lined 10-by-15-inch jelly-roll pan.

    Bake at 350 ° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 15 minutes. Place cake on clean tea towel sprinkled liberally with powdered sugar. Cool 10 minutes longer. From 10- inch side, roll cake up in towel. Set aside.

    While cake is cooling in towel, prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese, cream and butter; stir in powdered sugar (start with a cup, adding more if necessary to get the consistency you like,cloves and vanilla and blend until smooth. Unroll cake. Evenly spread filling over cake. Roll up cake (without the towel). Wrap in plastic wrap. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Slice before serving. Keep leftover slices refrigerated.

    This was my guest's favorite so next time I will make two and freeze one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like simply WAAAYYY too much fun! Coffee sputter over the demise of the mini-hippies and slavering at a Mongolian BBQ with Sam Adams pennants followed by a wall-o-beer.

    Have a wonderful holiday and best wishes to all my blog-buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Happy Thanksgiving to you... from the gals and I...

    Hope Barkley gets a turkey or two...

    BTW: What do Mongolians eat for Thanksgiving?

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an awesome day! I for one fully approve of dessert first - life is too short not to enjoy!

    Someday I shall have to make a pilgrimage to Artisano's with you... until then, I shall dream of black truffle salt with the same amount of baffled curiosity as the apes approaching the monument in 2012.

    So, now we know why we haven't heard anything from the #OccupyEverglades camp, eh?

    Give a man a file, and he'll make a full-auto weapon. Teach a man to make his own lathe, and he'll...

    ReplyDelete
  16. On a Wing - . . .give a man some wood and he'll wake you at 4 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FWIW: Bobbi's delicious skin-on mashed taters are on the menu today, and the black truffle salt will be going for its shakedown cruise. I am SO stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forgot to mention how much I loved the snake vs. van pics! :-D

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.