We got up extra early to open the packages before this mornings service.
We could NOT find our stockings - they went into a bin for safekeeping last winter. We have so many bins in storage - always fun to look at new and old memories in them but we just weren't sure which one held the stockings (think of the last scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark). So Santa had to improvise with the "stockings".
There were a couple of items that didn't get wrapped. A bird bath for me, and a Bora edge guide for Partner. Since he had asked for one, the 50 something inch box in the sun porch for the last month, didn't leave any mystery, though I was tempted to put a few marbles inside in case of shaking.
The bird bath was installed by the bird feeders. Unfortunately, our neighbor's across the street have a cat that constantly comes over to attempt to kill the birds. I've chased it off with the hose a few times when out watering the garden- I don't want it getting run over coming to the bird buffet and I don't want it killing the birds. It's well fed by its owners. So Partner got me something a little more serious than the hose.
We had the stockings with candy and cookies and little tool things and our usual geeky gifts -
Midwest Chick got me hooked on this chocolate. (Tcho).
Steampunk cufflinks (the steampunk watch was from last year.)
Vintage vest and handmade leather bowtie.
The Tactical Chef Apron - every Millenial should have one! (I married one that actually knows how to use a can opener and makes a mean Cream Brulee' with a propane torch).
A new game to learn!
It's not Christmas without new books - the Steam Tractor Encylopedia came from my Father in Law (True Blue Sam) and my Mother in Law for Partner. The Kindle is the first one I've ever had. I'm a big "dead tree" person but when I realized I spent $800 on books last year on Amazon it was time to do the Kindle.
My gift from them was super cool - a Dr. Who satchel with shoulder strap! (It's Bigger on the Inside!)
Of course, we both have to give each other new coffee cups (you know to add to the 87 we already have.) Here's mine
With tea!
And his.
You know those little games at Cracker Barrel with pegs you have cross one another until there is only one left (if you are smart). Partner surprised me with one (handmade out of wood) with something other than pegs.
Abby Normal the Lab got some gifts too from us and from friends.
The afternoon was spent playing board games including a new Cribbage Board.
As the roast cooks and we settle in to watch The Incredibles II (Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe!), I realize how lucky I am. I have a snug, warm home, a husband that loves me dearly, and shares my love of the unique things in our world. Dad is still with us, each day with him a gift. Add to that my church family and I thank God every day for all He's given me.
Brigid
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a good one.
Merry Christmas to all of you.
ReplyDeleteThe handkerchiefs are the best!
Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. Best wishes for you and your family in 2019.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tale!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great one. But on those steam tractors...my irreverent mind started wondering how many fields of ripe crops were set afire by the sparks.
ReplyDeleteI know, I know: always a cynic.
Errm... Is he really a Millenial? I figured Gen X at the youngest :D
ReplyDeleteHe was born in the mid 80's. That makes him a Millennial.
Deletelol Thought they were the Gen born on or after the millennium aka 1999-2010 I guess I need to calibrate my thinking, I know IM tail end of the Baby Boomers...very tail... :D
DeleteInstall Calibre to manage the Kindle books and install free books available from various sources, including Project Gutenberg.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite free books.
https://craphound.com/down/download/
(The Mansion *is* perfect, and has been since opening day ... Okay, the OpenGL hitchhiking ghosts update is cool.)
And sample "Reamde" from Amazon if I didn't send a dead tree version at some point. Stephenson's "Rise and Fall of DODO" was also a good plane book, but pass on the author's "Seveneves".
Don't forget the "Bao" short on "The Incredibles II". :)
ReplyDeleteWhat is the base for that 'peg' game made from? It looks like some sort of polymer case or something.
ReplyDeleteIt's made out of wood with a thin polymer coating.
DeleteLove the steampunk, the Doctor Who, the engineering flowchart and Einkorn is the only wheat I eat/bake with. Einkorn wheat berries are as hearty as barley and rice. It is a diploid species, untouched by hybridization. And, the cribbage board is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you as well. Einkorn is the only wheat my stomach can handle. I'll try the berries so far only tried the wheat, pasta, waffle mix, and granola (from Young Living).
DeleteMerry Christmas
ReplyDeleteLove the triangle puzzle! Got to remember that for a CBP friend who owns a local range.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I’ve sent an image seperately to you of our present to us.