Sunday, December 20, 2009

Weekend Warriors - Fueled by Guinness

The back room has been updated to make it more appealing, except for paint, insulated with new insulation (there was little to none in this previous owner room addition), storm windows to keep out the cold and a new door. Last weekend a lot was done to prep and the help this weekend was a really nice surprise with several of the guys from the Conservatino Club volunteering to help.
When they got into stuff I didn't have the skill set to do, I retired to the safety of the kitchen and made Guinness Stew for everyone.

This is all you need (OK, and coffee). I bet most of you have these things on hand. This makes enough to feed several hungry people, with leftovers, as I doubled the regular recipe.
Toss 4 pounds of stew meat in a mixture of flour (about 6 T. seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne or Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning) and then brown on all side in a large, deep pan in which 5 tablespoons of olive oil is heated until hot, not smoking (add in more oil as needed as it cooks up).
Barkley wants a poster made out of this picture.
After the meat is removed to keep warm, saute six cloves of garlic, or the equivalent of chopped garlic, in the pan with two chopped onions, stirring up the little bits of meat and juice from the bottom of the pan until the onion starts to caramelize. Add in 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and six chopped carrots and cook 4 minutes. Add in six potatoes, peeled and diced into big pieces, and the meat. Pour 32 ounces of room temperature Guinness and a 32 ounce can of beef broth over the top until the meat is covered, adding more of both if needed.
Bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes, then reduce heat, stir and cover. Simmer for an hour, until the vegetables are tender, adding in 2 tablespoons of parsley and a another pinch of salt and pepper (to taste) about 10 minutes before it is done. To thicken broth slightly prior to serving, make a roux out of a small spoonful of flour and some cold water in a large coffee mug. Slowly stir in a little of the hot broth into the mug, stirring so the flour doesn't congeal, and then pour that, in a thin stream, into the stew to thicken, stirring as you do. It's also good unthickened, more like a rich soup than a stew. The broth does not taste like beer, but it's wonderful.

Sprinkle with more parsley if you like and serve with a loaf or two of fresh bread to dunk in the rich broth and you are set.

click to enlarge photos

15 comments:

Jay G said...

Boy howdy, that stew looks gooooood.

Could use some of that watching the global warming come down outside.

Glad to hear all is going well with the move into the new digs!

immagikman said...

I should know better to read these posts before I have had breakfast :P
Some of the most delicious looking food you have posted yet.

PPPP said...

Much as I really, really want to, I am refusing to enlarge the photos. My stomach can only stand so much temptation.

Clark Kent said...

Gawwd, that does look good! I finally found the Pensey's website, and plan to order some spices.

Wish I lived in Indiana so's I could jine you at the blog meet. Have fun!

Brigid said...

Clark - of the Penzey's, favorites are the Chili 9000, Ozark Seasoning (great on veggies), Northwoods seasoning and Chicago Meat Rub. I've purchased some of the Indian spices at the store and am going to try my hand at that.

The Angry Recluse said...

Wow... looks wonderful. Yummy. I am writing the recipe down now! Me thinks I will make the picture my desktop as encouragement.

James E. Griffin said...

http://cooking.knopfdoubleday.com/2009/07/13/julia-childs-boeuf-bourguignon-recipe/

As you can see, yours isn't far from the classic bourguignon. You may find something useful in the above. They've got the requisite pages from Art of French Cooking in .pdf format.

HermitJim said...

I guess I'm gonna have to break down and try some that stew!

Glad you got some help to work on the place...friends are a very good thing, huh?

Did it MY way said...

I enlarged the photos, and now my screen looks funny...perhaps to much slobber? That looks good!

See Ya

Matt said...

Great looking stew! Wonderful way to thank freinds for giving you a hand with some remodel. We just finished up a batch of stew that I made last week. It didn't have Guinness (someone drank it all) but was a good basic stew, taught by my Mother.

No Global warming here, temp only hit about 61 degrees today!

MOBro said...

Ahh Yes, Lady Dr. B.,
Up to you usual tricks I see!
Temping your readers with great, delish photography of even more delish food. Man, I can almost smell that coming through the monitor... umm, umm, umm!
Shoot, now I'm hungry.
It's a trap, I tell you, a trap! ;^) But, hey, thanks anyway!

PA State Cop said...

Sitting right in the middle of that plowable precip, gonna have ot do that. Looks yummy. Designed to keep out the cold or for when you come in from it.

D.W. Drang said...

Mmmm, Guiness... Mmmm, Guiness stew....

Penzey's used to have a vanilla kitty treat that Pretty Kitty would kill for.

reflectoscope said...

Four Guinness attached,
Two for stew and two for the cook,
Stew and cook happy.

Jim

Woodswalker said...

Oh Yum, Brigid...I ahve not had breakfast, now I want THAT for breakfast. With fresh soda bread for the dipping.

Thank you,

A