Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dinner - Sweet and Hot

There is the word "gourmet" in the title of the blog but many of things that come out of the Range kitchen are much more simple. I put in long days, 10 hours is a short one, 18 hours isn't unheard of if in the middle of something big. I often get off of work tired but full of adrenalin, and pretty hungry as lunch may have been yesterday. For such times, I have a meal that's fast but NOT fast food.

One such meal is perfect for being cranky, hungry, PMS-ing or any other day you are having where carbs combined with sweet, hot and salty fits the bill.

Easy Range Pasta:

Saute 1/2 cup brine cured, slivered black pitted olives in a skillet with 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic and 3/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes in a few teaspoons of olive oil on medium until garlic is golden (about 2 minutes). Stir in one can (14-15 oz) of stewed tomatoes, a pinch or two of of dried basil and a drop of wild honey and a dash or two of salt and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes. Cook one pound pasta per directions, drain and add to sauce after it has thickened, tossing over low for half a minute. Serve with fresh Parmesan or Feta cheese. You won't need dessert, just a square of dark chocolate and you will be set for the night.

Don't have a tough day planned where you are going to burn OFF the calories in that bowl of pasta? Here are some HOTR suggestions, based on published guidelines(and a few WAG's) for calorie burned in an hour(based on a weight of 190 pounds)

Disco Dancing: 474

Basketball - full court: 690

Bicycling - (at 10 mph: 375

Golf - no cart, no caddy to carry your clubs: 474

Golf - with hungry Brown Bear as your caddy: 776 (See also: Cardo!)

Hiking (with small backpack): 518

Jogging -(at 5 mph): 604

Sex - active (which brings me to a court testimony where the woman was asked if she was sexually active and she replied, "no I just lay there"): 85

Don't forget the additional calories burned during side effects of sex:
Bouncing - 5 calories
Sliding off bed - 10 calories
Squeeling of Tires - 12 calories
Full cartwheel - 20 calories
Whiplash - 27 calories
Rug burn - 12 calories
Smashed nose - 45 calories

Skiing - cross country: 690

Skiing - down hill: 518

Skiing - uphill: 2250

Karate: 780

Reloading: 210

Cardio! - Chased by Zombies: 776

Snow shoveling: 590

Collecting welfare check: 005

Bon Appetit!


  1. Add a tin of anchovies to that skillet and you take that simple sauce over the edge into heaven.

    It is my preferred no-time-to-cook meal...

  2. "smashed nose"

    I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years...

    Dann in Ohio

  3. The 85 calories an hour may be an inflated figure.

    On the other hand, my dismount is usually good for 40 calories all by itself; That doesn't even account for the weight loss due to swapped epithelium due to stuck skin, or the headwounds from the ceiling fan.

    WV: Regrat. I lost a small patch of hair to the ceiling fan during my dismount, but I don't regrat it.

  4. Was going to comment on how good the food looks, but then I seen the calorie counter ( Now I'm wanting to burn some calories)
    Since NONE of those are going to happen for me. I will be back later to get the recipe :-)

  5. Stopsign - I did reload this month :-)

  6. Your stuff is sooooo good. I did your Grand Marnier Grill Steak tonight and it was fantastic. I already had some ribeyes out and happened to be perusing your recipes. I'm glad I gave it a try.

  7. 'Squealing of tires?'
    I'm unclear of the position, but I'm thinking it might be unkempt and setting the parking brake may avoid squealing. (of the tires, anyway)

    wv: wabbi Elmer Fudd's rabbi

  8. Without sounding like a trouble-maker, I'll chip in with LauraB regarding adding the anchovies, which would then render the sauce as a Putanesca.

    The legendary story, of course, is that after "taking care of business" the customer was hungry and to feed him she threw whatever was in the skimpy larder into the frying pan to make a pasta sauce. That, of course, was an act of inspired genius.

    And I think the caloric adjustment took place prior to the meal, but maybe afterward as well.

  9. Where were interesting read headed gals like you back in the day when I was looking for one? The recipe sounds yummy and we all need help with that situation of coming home "hungry as a bear" and "What am I gonna do for supper". (I imagine the "crock pot" was a result of just such a crisis).

  10. Laura and Ed - can't say I've ever eaten anything with a whole anchovy in it. .might get brave and try it.

    Guffaw - as to the squealing of tires. I don't know, I parked in a bad neighborhood and someone stole my tires and left me on cinderblocks.

  11. Why, Ed - I always thought it was a scent-related tale of the courtesan and dish. If you smell it cookin' you know what she's offerin', so to speak.

    B, just melt those lovely fishes in the olive oil, toss in red pepper, capers and olives, your pref'd canned `maters and you are done.

  12. Off the subject but thought you might like this:

    Iranian Air Defense Site: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

    Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

    Air Defense Site: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

    Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

    Air Defense Site: ( ... Total silence)

  13. B: Don't use whole anchovies! You crush the sprats in hot oil in the frying pan then add the onions, tomatoes, black olives. If offers a nice rich flavor and not at all what you might anticipate.

    It's roughly the same concept you get with a true Caesar Salad. Crush the anchovies in olive oil with garlic cloves before adding a fresh raw egg.

    (Bet you didn't think I could cook!)


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..