Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Gathering of Browncoats

I am on call, so no trip to the NRA gathering, just the usual Browncoats that hang around my place. I did get a call from the floor somewhere there last night, JP , Old NFO  and Jay G., talking together and  wanting to know where I was at.

A couple of the gun bloggers called today and may drop in over the weekend on their drives home with their spouses.  So I'll put on some coffee, and see who gathers. There's a spare bedroom and bath if anyone needs it, there's always some food in the fridge.

Until later, I will leave you a few of my favorite quotes from my favorite show - Firefly and a music video that runs through my head when I watch a number of scenes from the show.  Cowboys, flying, deep space, love as true as it's brave,  what's not to love. I've got EJ and big brothers watching it now, as well as several non blog friends who never heard of it and are now hooked.  Another browncoat in our midst, always a good thing.

“I love my captain.” –Kaylee, “Serenity” (pilot episode)

“To Jayne! The box-dropping, man-ape-gone-wrong-thing.” –Simon, “Jaynestown”

“I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.” –Mal, “Our Mrs. Reynolds”

"Oh! That was bracing. They don't like it when you shoot at them. I worked that out myself." - Mal "the Message"

“Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got lose?” –Mal, “The Train Job”

“If you take sexual advantage of her, you’re going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.” –Shepherd Book, “Our Mrs. Reynolds”

"This is the captain. We have a slight problem with our entry sequence and may experience some slight turbulence and then....explode" - Mal "Serenity"

“Also, I can kill you with my brain.” –River, “Trash”

Simon: My one regret in all of this is never being with you.
Kaylee: You mean to say as... sex?
Simon: I mean to say.
Kaylee: (cocks gun) Hell with this! I'm gonna live!

“We gotta go to the crappy town where I’M a hero!” –Wash, “Jamestown”

 "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" Wash (As Stegasaurus) Serenity, Parts 1 & 2

“I’ll be in my bunk.” –Jayne, “War Stories”

- Brigid


  1. How did you make the photo? At first I thought it was a blender/pancake batter related accident and then I expanded and could make out the stars. The limitations of old eyes and smart phone screen size.

  2. Great collection of quotes.

    Wasn't Mal's later followup to Shepherd's warning when he was in his cabin "I'm definitely going to hell"?

  3. Firefly, Browncoats, good friends (but I repeat myself) - what's not to like?

  4. I absolutely love Firefly. It kills me that they cancelled that every time I think about its true awesomeness.

  5. I own every episode...I really like your new picture.

  6. Island Bob - Photobucket added a "layer" function where you can layer stars, smoke, lights etc over a picture you already have stored. I thought the stars were sort of cool.

  7. Operative: "You've done remarkable things. But you're fighting a war you've already lost."

    Mal: "Yeah well, I'm known for that."

    Truly a classic, killed before it's time by a stupid network.

  8. "Here's a notion I been working on, why don't we shoot her first"? Jayne.


    "Still not convinced it was the wrong side" Mal.

  9. Jayne Cobb: "Shiny! Let's be bad guys!"

  10. "Man walks down the street wearing that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything" Wash, referring to the hat that Jayne's mother made for him.

    I just found a friend to knit me one and can't wait to wear it.

  11. Neat photo editing.

    Finally purchased a set of Firefly DVD's; the ones from the public library were getting pretty worn.

    Have a good weekend.

  12. Hi Brigid,

    I'll say hi to the folks at the NRA meeting for you.


  13. Excellent additional quotes!

    Heresolong - I've got to get one of the hats. It'd clash with my hair, but who cares :-)

    Mrs. S - I bought my own set, I've loaned with out but you know they are the only movies I've loaned the folks made sure I got them back.

    Jerry - thanks!

  14. The only people I've ever met who didnt like Firefly were people who did not see it on DVD, they aired the episodes all out of order when it was on TV, so it never made sense which is why it didn't get good ratings. Once you have seen all the episodes you WILL want to see more....and sadly there arent any more :(

  15. I also admit I had to spring for the BluRay version as well as the really is that good :D

  16. Been going through the Firefly series again.

    I don't have any quotable quotes, for it is too early in Saturday morn and not enough coffee yet.

    Have you checked the "Castle" series yet?


  17. Now I have to go check if Firefly is on streaming...

    Nice pic, BTW :-)

  18. Alliance Commander: "You fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"

    Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war."

    Alliance Commander: "And your husband?"

    Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes, too."


    Alliance Commander: "Seems odd you'd name your ship after a battle you were on the wrong side of."

    Mal: "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."


    Wash: "Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a ninety-pound girl, 'cause I don't think that's ever gettin' old."

  19. Don't forget "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" if you're indoctrinating people into "Firefly" and the Whedonverse. Same creative people ... and Nathan Fillion playing a different "Captain" character. :)

  20. What're we?

    Big Damn Heros.

    Ain't we Just.

  21. Lord I miss that show. There were so many quotable moments in it.

    This is one that has become part of my 'inner dialog' fairly regularly:

    "Yeah, and if wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak."

  22. Saffron (Christina Hendricks)... need I say more... beware of the redheads... oh wait, I married one...

    Dann in Ohio

  23. Yeah, something about those tall, curvy redheads...

  24. Many well spent hours looking at our not-to-distant future. Elegant, simple, believable -

    I suspect each of us has more than a little Mal lurking just below the surface.

    "I aim to misbehave!"

  25. "I've got the foil on, Coach"

    ~~Slap Shot

  26. Hi Brigid,

    You missed a good show. I went there Saturday. Met some old friends. Made some new friends.

    I held a new Supermatic Trophy at the High Standard booth thinking of my 40 year old at home. (Had to take the old girl out shooting Sunday morning. Can't have her getting jealous of any upstarts.)

    I tried on a number of Sigs for size as well as a Tavor, a Kel-Tec RFB and a KSG. A Kahr PM45 came into my hand with that silky feel that seemed to whisper, “Why don't you come out to my range and shoot me sometime”. No doubt about it. I need a second job to pay for all these guns that called my name.

    If you had been there, I would have invited you to our Schuetzenverein's center-fire pistol shoot on Sunday afternoon.


  27. Jerry - sounds like big fun. I ended up working a bit this weekend. But it helps keep me in ammo.

  28. My favorite: "Shiny"
    For the Firefly fans--Adam Baldwin is going to be on Castle tonight (Monday!) Can hardly wait. And first season, for the Halloween show, Castle dressed up in his Firefly costume, and when his daughter asked what he was, he replied "a Space cowboy smuggler" (or something like that!) it was wonderful.
    I want a Browncoat. Love Firefly and Serenity... and own them! Even got my daughter and her boyfriend hooked.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..