Saturday, April 14, 2012

Just the Snacks Ma'am - Note: Recipe update!

"Your attention, please. The story you are about to see is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent. For example: George Baker is now called "Sylvia Wiss. "

The bat phone did not go off all day.  A perfect day to stay in. But even better I had guests. Mr. and Mrs. Blue of Blue's Blog stopped by to visit for a couple hours on their way back from vacation and a stop to visit grandkids in my state.  It's so fun meeting cool people that you've chatted with on and off blog (Blue is a pilot) and finding them even cooler in person! That was an afternoon very well spent talking shop and airplanes and big dogs  but soon it was time for them to go home.  I offered water and snacks for the drive but they were already well prepared (why am I not surprised). Thank you both so much for the visit.  It was an honor to finally meet you in person, we'll have to do it again!

But now house is quiet, what to do now.  Watching crime drama is making me want to take the bite out of something other than crime.  Something  sweet and salty, maybe even something sweet and salty and covered in dark chocolate.  (insert evil laugh here).

Note:  4/21/12 I made two batches of these in two weeks for friends and coworkers and on the second batch I tweeked the instructions slightly to make them easier. 


Homemade Payday Bar Cookies 

Inside they're gooey and crunchy, salty and sweet, filled with a marshmallow/caramel tasting filling that's loaded with peanuts and piled on a thin sugar cookie base. Topped with a layer of dark chocolate. They got the rolled eyes and thumbs up from Tam and EJ said his didn't survive past breakfast.(PA State cop, with upcoming PT for his job called me "evil" so my work here is done).

Start with a batch of your favorite Sugar Cookie recipe  or use some store bought sugar cookie mix.
Pat the Sugar Cookie Dough in a 9x13 pan that you have sprayed with non stick coating (or they will be hard to cut into bars). Bake in preheated 350 F. oven until lightly golden and the center does not look wet(10-12 minutes).Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 bag of mini marshmallow evenly over top and return to oven for 3 minutes until the marshmallows become soft and puff up.  Remove and set aside.

Next you will need:

2/3 cup Corn Syrup
1 cup Peanut Butter Chips
2 and 1/2  tsp. Vanilla
4 Tablespoons salted Butter (NOT margarine)
1 1/2 cups rice crispies
2 1/2 cups salted peanuts.

While the cookie base layer is baking, heat corn syrup, peanut butter chips and butter and vanilla until melted over medium heat, in a large saucepan, stirring occassionallyto ensure it doesn't burn.  Do NOT bring to a boil. Stir in rice crispies and peanuts (you will need a big wooden and some muscle), reducing the heat to warm until cookie/marshmallow base is done. Spoon over crust/marshmallows carefully and spread evenly (Spraying your spoon or spatula with a little non stick spray will help keep it from sticking.

Melt 1 bag mini dark chocolate chips in bowl in microwave 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so.
Pour over peanut layer.  When cool, cut into bars or small squares. 

Take them to work to share, to do otherwise would be a crime.

9 comments:

  1. What is this word 'share' of which you speak?
    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a crime you're not mailing out samples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been happily married for some 39 years now, but with these recipes you've been passing out and where as, I live in Utah, I've been considering taking on another wife. I also have type 2 diabetes so if I ate your cooking for about a week I'd be dead in about a week. Well I got this feeling that this is not going to happen so I'll just say thank you for the info and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I predict you'll be met at the office door Monday morning or maybe even at your parking spot. The description has me drooling.

    How well would those hold up in shipping? You do have my address and I'm willing to make a post-shipping assessment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarge - you're probably safer that way :-)

    These are going to my team who always have to work a little harder when I take a few days of vacation. I'll put a couple in the freezer for a friend and will try and stay out of the rest of them myself.

    Hat Trick - we have more locks and security things to go through, it's like the Opening of "Get Smart" so yes, I HAVE been met in the parking lot before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's an old saying that fits this situation (Discretion is the better part of Valor).
    Yeah I'll just stick with the Discretion part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks and sounds yummy.

    Hope they make it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the hospitality! It was a pleasure to meet you and Barkley!

    We made it home alive, though the Missus was "white knuckling" it for a while in some rather nasty storms. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..