Saturday, December 10, 2011

Where's the Wookie - Blog Meet

When the day starts with a frozen chicken pot pie with a candle in it, it can only improve.

Today was the IND blog meet, organized by our beautiful and talented friend Roberta X. We had two guests coming in from out of town, one whom I picked up at the airport. As my regulars know, I met Old NFO years ago when he was in the Navy and I hauled him someplace in a Sherpa (actually several times). We ran into each other about 10 or so years ago via SquirrelVision and have shared many a phone call in years since, through several adventures and lots of travel. He is the only blogger who ever dared my 72 layer cream cheese biscuit recipe, but he wasn't home much and usually subsisted on "bachelor chow". During one period he picked up a whole case of chicken pot pies at Costco. Every time I talked to him, after he returned stateside, often after I'd posted a picture for friends of a new recipe, I'd say "what you are you having" and I heard "another *#%@*!# chicken pot pie". It seemed like a year or two went past. . . still, every conversation. "another @#$%^&@ chicken pot pie".

So, in honor of his birthday last week, I had to pick him up for the blog meet with a special gift. I don't have to tell you what his reply was.


We then met Midwest Chick and Mr. B. for a cooking supply excursion before the meet, a trip to Penzey's Spices, my favorite Artisano's, then a stop at Trader Joe's, before heading over to the local Irish pub. The menfolk took one vehicle for a smoke, while Midwest Chick and I headed out ahead in the bat truck, giggling and talking about everything from Magnum P.I. to the merits of buying things in bulk.


The men, hot on the trucks tail (you could NOT lose Mr. B. in a vehicle if he was intent on following you), followed us over. Tam had arrived early to secure the awesome "round table" and was rewarded with the last sugar dusted Norwegian baked good I had brought to share. Thanks Tam! We needed the space. We had a great turn out, including two new folks, one a blogger, one a regular reader (and military aviator, always fun to talk to with this group).

Roberta X, Joanna , Kerry, Uncle Jay, The Jack , Midwest Chick, Tam, Mr. B., Old Grouch, Donald (first time visitor!), Karl, Old NFO and myself. The rare treat of a visit from Uncle Jay was the reason we had our impromptu gathering Saturday as he traveled through, and it was well worth it to spend time with he and other great folks.

While the appetizers started arriving, someone always has to say "what knife are you carrying?

Out come the knives.


This is the Indiana, where we can get lifetime concealed carry permits and our license plates say "In God We Trust, so our waitress dashes around as a dozen people whip out large and very pointy knives to wave, and doesn't blink. She simply says "anyone ready for another Guinness?"

Then of course, out come the multi tools. Aw. . crap, I don't have one on me. I'm sitting next to Roberta X who has multi tools you can use to hotstart the U.S.S. Enterprise and all I have is whistle shaped like a little train.

Conversation was as varied and interesting as the careers and interests of the group, guns and technology, starships and starfish, cooking with peppers and getting peppered with buckshot, sci-fi, and radios, military weaponry, guns, how a No. 2 writing implement and a certain fighter jet can take the lead out of your pencil real quick, and exactly what shade of blue is seen inside a big electrical fireball.

And don't forget Spam with bacon. (Wow, I didn't know they made Spam with recognizable pork products in it :-)


Before I knew it, 3 hours had passed, and I had a long drive home to let Barkley out and make sure our out of town guests got to their hotels. Goodbyes were said to the group and then some hellos to the four legged one. After checking in where they were staying, Uncle Jay and Old NFO I headed to a little bar/eatery near the airport for a snack and a couple more hours of conversation on guns, and gear, Seals and Sealants, normal dinner conversation, just more "sploody".

Too soon, time for everyone to head out. To our out of town guests - thanks for making the trip. It was great to see you both. To our new guests, welcome!

29 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a GREAT time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sorry I missed THAT one! I'll be in town the weekend after Xmas. Hope to see as many as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time was had by all - except perhaps NFO at the moment you handed him that pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like it was a LOT of fun. We have nothing like that here. And how blessed you are, to have such friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a blast. I'm jealous. I don't know when, but I'd love to meet the crew over a pint someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turk - we missed you too! If work precludes me missing the meet itself, I'll still stop by with Croissants and coffee.

    Rev. Paul - I have wonderful friends, several in this group are family to me. I'm very lucky.

    45er - you'd fit right in. If you are ever up this way, you have my contact info. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to be able to cook up an excuse to visit Indy... Preferably during an Indy 1500 weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! I'm jealous!
    Love the pot pie and NFO. He's such a sweety with a great sense of humor.
    I still plan on getting you out to Blogorado.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did Barkley enjoy the )*&^% chicken pot pie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Bobbi, Tam, Alan, Jay G, you, etc. every day and am always a little green with envy imagining such shooty fellowship. Vicarious pleasure to see such fine times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kickapoo joy juice at work in the still, what a kick in the woods of Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How terrific for you all, to have such a gathering!
    (I almost said it was an aspicious day-for you Firefly fans!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I missed it. With work and the kids' marching band, I haven't made it to a blogmeet for quite a while. I'd thought about coming to this one, but didn't realize it had been moved to Saturday until too late.
    Glad you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, the CPP was a gotcha... sigh... :-) But that was a fun day! Good to see everybody again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You guys do more than the Indiana Department of Commerce to make me want to move there. One of these days, Murphy and I will make the pilgrimage.

    Now on a reciprocally-related note, when are YOU coming to THIS area? If the mountain won't come to Mohammed and all...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had a great time (especially playing chase through Indy traffic). Wish I could have seen the look on NFO's face when you presented the Pot Pie. At least you followed it up with other 'nummies....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I missed it, but by the time the meet happened I was most of the way across Illinois heading westward. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, and I would have had more, had you not held the bacon hostage MC... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to meet you!

    My post: http://blog.ushanka.us/2011/12/indy-blogmeet.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karl - it was nice to meet you! It was a great group. I missed hearing the question, but I'd not have been the first one to get it right. The hat to Tam was expected and deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you brought the train-shaped whistle on purpose! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. DirtCrashr - the whistle was on top of a cupcake delivered via electric train on the tracks that ran around a counter at a diner in Chicago. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm always sad when I miss these. I'll have to work on getting my trips to Indy sync'd up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really need to get to another of these someday.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.