Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Blasts From the Past - Blinding You With Science

This is a Micro crack in steel as seen through an electron microscope.I've vacationed at places that looked like this! (click to enlarge)

Of course the folks on NCIS wouldn't need an electron microscope. Gibbs would just squint and go "ahh yup - micro-crack", before Abby could even consider micro-cracks at the surface of metals detected and imaged by near-field microwave techniques from the crack-induced variations of the resonance frequency and of the resonant circuit quality factor. I mean really, you have to get this thing solved in an hour WITH commercials.

Fire up the welder Festus, we're off to Ferrous Canyon! You all be safe out there, I may be busy the next few days


  1. I got a laugh when I learned that Ferris Sate University (Big Rapids, Michigan) is one of the premier universities for welding technology.

    I wonder if they also study non-ferrous welding.

  2. What a great photo! Great job on adding the cowboy. Thanks.

  3. Being a proto-geek as a child (never evolving into a geek, however) when I heard the term Ferris Wheel, I assumed that means it was constructed of iron(?)
    Ferric Wheel?
    I think I was 6...


  4. Moab, UT!

    "The Last Ship" has bigger NCIS-style howlers as of late. They even added their own Ziva Sunday night, but, sadly, the character has a "Ensign Ricky in a red shirt" vibe.

  5. Festus and the pack mules hadda go through the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" machine several dozen times to fit in that image.

  6. As appealing as the image is I'm glad that landscape isn't on the blade of my favorite knife!

  7. Joe Mama - I would look at have a Diploma that said Ferris State University :-)

    Dick - I just added the pack train - that photos been on the web a long time, not sure where the original came from. But thanks!

    armed laughing - that made me smile!

    Opinionated Grump - I do believe so!

    jocostello - so true.

    Just on a quick meal break with the ebook - back tomorrow I hope!

  8. On my to learn list: welding. Got some time in on the SIL's plasma cutter... sweet.

  9. Reminds me of some of the pictures that were first sent back from Mars by the landers - with Star Wars robowalkers photoshopped into the background by some joker at JPL.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..