Sunday, August 14, 2011

Birthday Festivities - The Finale

I'm home from Birthday Bash Weekend!

I arrived with Barkley, an overnight bag and a pistol and accessories at Mr. B. and Midwest Chick's home.

Look, there's presents!!

And a beer! Yuengling, no less.

OK, twist my arm, time to open the presents!

They tell me to open the big one first. I fondled it. I shook it. I have NO idea what this is. It's the worlds biggest bag of tasty popcorn. Awesome. If you've ever wanted to know what two and a half pecks of popcorn looks like, this is it.

Ok, that's the "fun" gift. Open the little ones. Wow! An Ipod Nano. It's the size of a matchbox and has a touch screen you just scroll with your finger. You will appreciate this more if you know that I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't have an Ipod. I don't have a blackberry. My phone is the size of a boat anchor. I opened it, started playing with it while Mr. B chuckles "quick, call Tam and tell her we dragged Brigid into the 21st Century!" Mr. B. had taken the time to set it up with all the programming needed and accessories to play it off home stereo, computer or car stereo. Midwest Chick had also pre-programmed it with a ton of my favorite songs, still with plenty of room to add more.  What an assortment. She knows just what I like.


AC/DC, Adele, Aerosmith, Alberto Luzzio, Alison Krauss, Alison Moyet, Allman Brothers, Aretha Franklin, The B-52's, Billy Joel, Blackmore's Night, Blues Brothers, Bob Seger, Bonnie Raitt, Bonnie Tyler, Burkhard Glaetzner, Cher (just so Midwest Chick and I could sing "Gypsies Tramps and Thieves" really loud while washing up dishes, Chris Wood, CCR, David Bowie, Dire Straights, Don McLean, Dobie Brothers, The Doors, Dubravka Tomsic, The Eagles, Earth Wind and Fire, Eddi Rabbit, ELO, Emerald Rose, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Enya, Eric Brockington, Eric Clapton, Estelle Parsons, Etta James, Eva Cassidy, Finger Eleven, Foreigner, Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra, Garth Brooks, George Thorogood, Godsmack, Golden Earring, Gordon Lightfoot, Grand Funk Railroad, Guns N' Roses, Herbert Von Karajan, I Solisti Di Zagreb, Jackson Brown, Janis Joplin, Jethro Tull, Jim Croce, Johann S. Bach, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Cash, Josef Bulva, Led Zeppelin, Los Lobos, Lyle Lovett, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meat Loaf, Metallica, Michele Campanella, The Moody Blues, Motley Crue, Nicolaus Esterhazy, Pink Floyd, Poison, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Roberta Flack, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Roger Miller, The Rolling Stones, Santana, Sarah McLachlan, Smokey Robinson, Stan Getz, Stevie Wonder, Supertramp, Thin Lizzy, Three Dog Night, Vivaldi, The Who, Willie Nelson, Yuri A. Rozum .

Barry White? Mr. B. laughs from the kitchen and says "Come on it's Barry White?, which started much laughter about what music NOT to play on a romantic date -  Zamfir and the Magic Pan Flute. William Shatner singing Greensleeves and The Chipmunks Rock the House.

We set up the Ipod to play through the stereo and pretty soon we are dancing around the living room, giggling like school girls and Mr. B. comes in, smiles and shakes his head and returns to drop off a plate of 12 year old cheddar and crackers for us all to sit and share. OK, break time while MC shows me how to download tunes from ITunes and Mr. B. goes back to create dinner (Mr. B. being probably the best cook on the planet).

Dogs like 12 year old cheddar you know. Sorry Barkley. You and Schmoo the black lab will have to have a rawhide, this stuff is too good to share with the canines.


Mr. B. is firing up the grill. Pork chops marinated in blood orange infused olive oil, fresh lemon juice and orange juice then rubbed on one side with fresh crushed rosemary from the garden and a mixture of cumin, fresh ground pepper and garlic on the other and grilled. Served with cayenne spiced baked beans and fresh corn from the farmer's market.


Oh yeah. I had a choice of pie or cake for my birthday. I went with Midwest Chicks homemade Chocolate Cream Pie. I'm no fool.


Full and happy we nestled down in the living room to watch it storm and watch a movie (hey, I have popcorn!). Pirates! Sword fights! Bad puns! Things blowing up! "How come the heroine had red hair in the last scene and now it's blond?"

Then a nightcap before sleep as it rains. There was tiny bit left in a bottle of whiskey which Mr. B. let me have, of course chuckling evilly with "I'm going to tell everyone you polished off a bottle of Makers Mark".
After a great night sleep in my comfy little guest room with Barkley laying in their room next to Miss Schmoo, it was time for breakfast. We were up early, hoping the weather might clear enough to get to the gun range.

Bacon!
Perfect to make some breakfast burritos as the sky gets light. Eggs and onions and pepper, and crispy hash browns and BACON with two kinds of cheese and sour cream to top it if one wishes as well as an assortment of hot sauces.



Eat My Dust, Pop Tarts.

The rain was not going to abate so no outdoor range time today. We just settled in over good coffee for good conversation. Then too soon, it was time to leave. I was sent on my way with a Styrofoam cooler of pie and leftover pork (for defense purposes in case I'm waylaid by Jihadists on the way home).

It was a great time. Such days are best spent with friends, especially friends who know what is important in life, and how best to live it.



I didn't think the week could get any better but it did.

I'm making the drive home, listening to tunes, the giant bag of popcorn next to me in case the airbag fails, when the phone rings. It's a good  internet friend driving across the state towards his home in a neighboring state. "Where are you at?" " I'm 20 minutes north of there!" "Do you have time to meet? "Coffee!" (the first peripheral)


We meet at a little restaurant with a train theme and chat for a couple of hours. Due to the storms, it's in the low 60's and after a potty break, Barkley is quite happy to sleep in the extended cab of the truck on his dog bed with a bowl of water while we catch up on our travels.

Too soon, again, time for a quick hug and goodbyes to make that last hour or so drive home.

It couldn't have been a better birthday. Thank you all.

Love - Brigid

44 comments:

  1. So good to hear about the time, the people and the food! Now THAT'S a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your birthday was good one, with friends. You deserve the happiness of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome time... and I'm glad we're no the only ones with framed copies of the Constitution, Declaration, and Bill of Rights on the walls... gives me some more hope for this country...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great weekend even if you couldn't get to the range. That looks like a great way to celebrate your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful! Many happy returns of the day, Brigid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good times spent with good friends - nothing quite like it is there?

    I see you have excellent taste in music too - for the most part *grin*.

    William Shatner singing Greensleeves?? The mind boggles..

    Morris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it went so well. Okay, it was EPIC. What a wonderful time you had!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday~ Sounds like you had a Good One.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very super! It's so great to celebrate with friends who love you. :)) Happy Birthday, again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brigid,

    Sounds like you had a great birthday weekend. First Ipod? Great music choices, except they forgot one of the best singing duos ever...Simon and Garfunkel!

    Or am I just getting old?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! You do know how to have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad your Bday went well. You have exceptional friends. How wonderful!

    I have NO problems with your music list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I missed you. Hope to catch you at the blogmeet on the 28th.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad it was a good B-day!

    And for the record, I must now be the last person to not own an i_____ device. Actually...I refuse to own an iAnything. I'm very happy with my Sandisk mp3 player!

    (and good selection of toonz ya got there, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. btw, for giggles you need to load the Ipod with the Scrotum song, the Leafblower song, the bluegrass version of Crazy train, the cover of "Video killed the radio star"by "The Presidents of the United States of America"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! What is this "ipod" of which you speak?

    And is William Shatner doing "Greensleeves" worse than William Shatner doing "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"?

    ReplyDelete
  17. The 21st Century has a few cool toys.

    I had a Kindle textbook for computer forensics last semester since the electronic copy *plus* second-hand reader was cheaper than used paper at the campus bookstore and (here's the best part) Amazon keeps notes/underlining synced across PC, Mac, and handheld readers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great birthday treat. You deserve it! I love the ecclectic music list. Mine is very varied as well and can drive the teens in my life nuts. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great time. Yay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im so glad you had a great birthday :) Good Food, Great friends, and Barkley at your side. Hard to imagine it getting much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I speak for a significant portion of your readership that we are glad you were born and continue to celebrate the anniversary of the blessed event so that we can enjoy your musings and adventures. Here's to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My birthday was August 12th. What date is yours? PS - LOVE that bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. For the record, I don't own an iPod, either. Well, I guess not either, anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So let see if I can me sum up - Popcorn, an IPod, great friends, good food, excellent whiskey, bacon!, more good friends and some Metallica? Sounds awesome to me!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a helluva good time. Congratulations on another year around the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wishing you a (late) Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad you had a good time with friends, a good friend is worth a lot these days. and a late happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  28. I won't wish you a Happy Birthday 'cause it sounds like you had a great one. Anyway many happy returns are in order. You live too damn far away!!



    wv; boath, I need a boath cause it it raining caths and dogths!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Belated Birthday, Brigid.

    Around here, that popcorn would last an evening--specially if the G'kids are here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm only a casual ELO fan, but I've lost track of how many albums I own with Jeff Lynne's name in the producing credits. The man has an underrated gift, and I hope he breaks out of his funk before too long.

    I was grumpy for a week at work when I thought that the crew resealing our office windows had helped themselves to my prized "Traveling Wilburys" CD. This happened before the re-release when the disc was a $150+ EBay item.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The best way to celebrate a birthday! Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  32. "Eat my dust poptarts"??? LOLOL Exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  33. There were two of us on the planet without iPods. Now there is only one.
    Glad you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoy your writing,hope you enjoyed your birthday.Celebrated mine this weekend,less popcorn,more ammo.May it be your best year.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well I'll be! Same day, different year (I'm sure!) and so here is one more reason I am just tickled to read your blogging. I just knew You were a special person!
    Now that I know you're a Leo, it makes even more sense 2 me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sounds like a great birthday with some awesome friends! You are loved chica, you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, it just give me such peace of mind to see someone else say, well "write": REO Speedwagon...............the abuse I take for STILL liking a whole slew of their songs.....................we're not alone............................keep on rollin'.........................

    ReplyDelete
  38. LB @ Bulletts and Biscuits - I am. I could not have a better, close knit, group of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I envy you the company you get from Barkley. You are a lucky soul.

    So is he.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..