Sunday, August 28, 2011

More Weekend Fun - Sunday Blog Meet - update with everyone's links


It was a great blog showing with almost 20 people there representing several states at the always enjoyable Broad Ripple Brew Pub. Plus it was Tam's Sixth Blogiversary today (millions of bites of snark served). Congratulations Tam! There were even door prizes with Longhorn Jeff bringing some folks wheel barrels full of money (you know, like the ones that we gun bloggers get from the NRA according to the liberal blogs).

Look, here's my wheel barrow full of money. How cool is that? Thanks Jeff!

Two of the gang even got me Secret Squirrel patches for myself and my squirrel partner at the IND 1500 today. They're rubber and fabric with velcro on the back so they will attach to all sorts of things. Thank you both! You are the best! Scout 26 added the fake nose eyeglasses with built in handlebar mustache to use as a disguise. The half inch thick coke bottle lenses, "goggley" eye addition, makes me look like a barbershop quartet member on PCP so I doubt even hippies would accost me on the Monon trail.



There was food, fun, gossip, plans for a girls night out "tactical slumber party" (no boys allowed) with Miss D., Tam, Roberta X and I (where ARE my camo pajamas).

Midwest Chick: "We can have a fire outdoors and dance around and have fun!"
Me: "If we're out in the woods dancing around the fire, people will think we're Wiccan."
Tam: "Wiccans don't carry sidearms, do they?"

There was food and the hot talk of today's gun show (which I missed as I was playing with tractors), gun purchases and adventure ("so he stumbles back outside. By then, the raccoon was on fire, of course.")

In addition to our first time guests, I got a special surprise.

Some 20 (mumble mumble) years ago, when Old NFO was a spiffy Naval officer I got to fly him into where he was based in a stealth fighter jet large square box known as the Sherpa when I was newly minted with four stripes. We bumped into each other electronically about 15 years later in some squirrel round table or something and have talked on the phone regularly ever since. But we had not seen each other since that flight all those years ago, til today That was a hug long overdue. He hadn't changed all that much, but it's hard to remember seeing as how I was three years old at the time and flying the aircraft from my booster chair.

In addition to Old NFO we had Dave L. (Cancer Ward), Og, and Partner, Rich, Roberta, Tam, Midwest Chick, Bayou Renaissance Man and his wife Miss D., Shermlock Shomes and his talented wife, Mr. B., Don at Push the Pull Door (who is even cooler in person, if that's possible), Old Grouch, The Jack, Mad Saint Jack, (who shared some CD's on knives with three lucky bloggers), Longhorn Jeff (Wheelbarrows Fulla Money) and IND shooter Kerry, a long time blog meet attendee.

It was great to see everyone. Cheers!

28 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Glad you had plenty of fun this weekend.

Sherry said...

Sounds like a really fun time with great people.

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds like everyone had a great time; we're jealous, up here. :)

Brigid said...

Big fun, Thanks. I consider them friends but a few of these folks I consider family, and we share a lot of our lives outside of these gatherings. They have helped me through rough patches in life as well as the laughter. I couldn't be more blessed.

45er said...

Jealousy.

Hat Trick said...

I'm sorry that I missed it. Maybe next time.

og said...

The best part, to me, was the hippie-frightening, and man, was there a bunch of that!

Great time, all. Even Partner had fun.

Keads said...

Sorry I missed it. AGAIN! Had the truck ready to go and everything.

Tango Juliet said...

Oh I remember that! The youngest pilot ever! Gerber had to come out with special FAA grade strained beets.

:)

Glad you had a good weekend.

Brigid said...

Tango Juliet - I could think of a snappy retort but since rumor has it you could have a photo of me wearing a shiny aqua bridesmaid dress with a turtleneck at a certain Naval installation in California I will refrain. :-)

AL said...

The Sherpa is most certainly not a stealthy. The did build a stealthy prototype that strangely looked like a pimped up Sherpa.

That got canned as the handling was pretty bad.

stopsign said...

Glad you had a Great time.

I lol at ur comment to Tango(Good reason to play nice :)

Lois Evensen said...

Looks like a blast. :)

Peter said...

We all had a good time. It was great to meet several bloggers in the flesh, after reading them online for years.

BTW, where do Secret Squirrels keep their nuts?

;-)

BK said...

I've got to send you a picture of my pajamas. big baggy comfy CAMO pajama pants and an oversize tshirt that says "as a matter of fact, I DO hunt like a girl!"

Murphy's Law said...

Someday Murphy and I will make one of those...sigh. Glad everyone had a good time.

Amish Stories said...

A blog meet is a pretty good idea, so maybe ill try something like that in my area. Richard

Old NFO said...

Dang, I 'thought' you were at LEAST FIVE... :-) It was truly a pleasure to finally see you again after all these years, and to meet the rest of the 'gang'!

Sorry I had to bolt before the festivities got rolling, but TSA was calling... sigh

And you should have seen the faces on the Euro-types when I open the suitcase to put the unloaded tag in the gun case :-)

Stormdrane said...

The wheel barrel full of money looks awesome, but the nose/goggle/stash disguise looks like the best doorprize, lol...

Larry said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm gonna have to make it to one of those one day...

Sport Pilot said...

You flew a Sherpa? If there ever was a flying bus that would be the one. Were the flight control's a tad bit on the heavy side?

Also,alas, Tam's right, Wiccan's can't carry a pistol while they dance and frolic around the bonfire.

Brigid said...

Sport Pilot. Oh yeah. It was actually a really cool airplane, other than people laughing and pointing at it, and besides landing in a crosswind (the flying billboard!)it was fun to fly. It was really stable and you could trim it out (no autopilot) and take your hands off things for a surprising amount of time in still air.

Though I remember one flight up a military training route and two F-somethings came up along side of us, checking me and my female second in command out. I asked the controller if he was working both of us. He said "yup". I said "What are they doing right up here with me". He replied "Well Miss, they're just looking for something square and slow to shoot at".

Guffaw in AZ said...

Some Wiccans have a ceremonial dagger - but, I've no idea where they keep it, if they're 'skyclad'.
Further this affiant sayeth not.

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

...and see, I figured secret squirrel ladies slept in back ninja silk...

Dann in Ohio

Brigid said...

Dann in Ohio -

Only on Wednesday :-)

Christina LMT said...

ENVY!!!

On a Wing and a Whim said...

It was good to see you again! That was fun, I should find a way to do it more often...

Camouflage and plaid match, right? Its a red highland tartan and mossy oak, but still.. they're cony nightclothes... and its either that or the lacy thing with ribbons, skulls, and crossbones...

Jenny said...

Oh that looks awesome!!

Hi to the crew. :)