Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA on a Rope - Blatant Product Placements

Knees by Curad Camp Camo. Knee surgery with just three bandaids. Pretty cool.

I'm back to work full time, and let's just say it's been pretty wearing, even if assigned to desk duty. After whacking my leg really good in the kitchen the other night, it was quite swollen and I went to put the ice pack on it, the knee brace by itself not really doing anything more than putting creases in my leg. The ice pack was warm. Let's see what else in the freezer. Ahh, there's something I can use.

Then I sat down to watch NCIS.

There I am happily watching away and I feel something slowly trickling down from my knee to my ankle. This is not a good feeling. The stitches had been out a few days, one of the wounds still not completely healed after the tech dug out a stubborn stitch or two. I was aghast to see a thin stream of dark, viscous red trickling down from knee to ankle.

Eeek!

But wait, nothing hurts, well no more than normal, and it smells, not like copper. . . but FRUIT?

Apparently the bag of frozen berries that I had wedged under the knee brace had thawed and sprung a leak.

The world safe (if a bit fruitier), I cleaned up the mess and went back to the show.

McGee is talking - "The DSA Uses RSA Secure-ID. It's a hardware technology that generates a token every minute." Intoned in a voice like he was announcing the winner of American Idol I laughed (as would anyone with even a bit of knowledge of crypto) at the obvious product placement.



Advertising is everywhere, on TV shows, on blogs. I don't accept paid advertising or comments from strangers with a link that goes to a business I'm unfamiliar with. But I will tell people which products I like in my kitchen or shop, without expectation of anything. But that is my choice. Others rely on advertising for income, and new customers.

It's part of life, just like technology. Both help us work more informed, work smarter. I work virtual a day or so a week, often on the road. It's nice having the technology to get connected, even if in parts of my life I like things old fashioned, well built, proven over time, dependable.


But back to work means up early, virtual or not. Breakfast the last couple of weeks has been an English Muffin or cold cereal. Snap Crackle Pop reminded me too much of my knee and the Special Weigh Diet Granola I bought after seeing it advertised, looked like what remained after someone bitch slapped someone with a Nature Valley Granoa Bar (I always have a bunch of the oat ones my flight bag. I know what they look like when they get squished). What? no nuts, no fruit, no big clusters of honey goodness? That's not granola! I decided to make something different. So for lack of any erudite post tonight, as I was expecting the SOPA blog blackout going 24 hours, a recipe for everyone.


Corn Casserole with Butter and Maple Syrup.

I gave this recipe to friend Laura B. once and she made it (along with some other fine dishes) for some visiting lawmen and it was a hit.

The original recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Muffin mix. If you've got one on hand go ahead and use it. I really like Jiffy. It's handy, it's tasty, it's certainly cheap and their baking mix, for taste and price, is better than Bisquick. But cornbread is about as simple to make as anything, so if you buy in bulk you can do it better and cheaper (without artificial or possibly hydrogenated ingredients).

This recipe makes the equivalent of one box of Jiffy, to which you would add the egg and milk if you were going to make muffins. But we're not going to have muffins with our Mausers today.

"Jiffy" Style Baking Mix:

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
3 Tablespoons sugar (if using this for a casserole I reduce sugar to 1 heaping Tablespoon).
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil.

Mix ingredients until free of lumps, use promptly.


You can use it to make regular "Jiffy" muffins OR you can add this:

For the casserole:
1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn (most of the liquid drained)
8 ounces sour cream (not non fat, you're not making this for your health)
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 Tablespoon sugar(approximate for topping)
Directions

In large bowl, combine first four ingredients well.
Stir in dry corn muffin mix.
Pour into slightly oiled 9x13-inch pan or a cast iron skillet (my preference).
Drizzle melted butter over top and sprinkle with sugar (I used a mix of maple sugar, vanilla sugar and table sugar)
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes (my oven was 55 minutes).

Serve with pure maple syrup and my all time favorite blatant product placement - BACON! (seeing as how I killed the berries).

19 comments:

North said...

That looks good enough to smear the dark red knee substance on.

Hat Trick said...

I guess that's why everybody recommends using a bag of frozen peas. If it springs a leak it's not going to be mistaken for blood. You had me going there for a second, I was expecting you to say that you'd reopened one of the incisions when you banged your knee in the kitchen.

Roscoe said...

The SecureID tech was in the news back in the Spring for being the subject of an electronic break-in at RSA. If cracking the algorithm was a "one Caf-Pow" problem for Abby and McGee, the chances are equally likely that the writers came across the name on Google doing research since the publicity would be of dubious value.

Nathan said...

Oh my goodness yum.

greg said...

I'm trying to get better/more motivated at making things from scratch, especially on the weekend, but during the week, you can't beat a box of Jiffy Corn Bread mix.

We started throwing in a half can of corn or so a few years ago, but I can't wait to try your additions.

And not just because of the side of bacon.

Brighid said...

Berry scary there for a moment. I use petite peas for ice packs...would hate to eat some of those bags...they've been in service for a while.
Corn recipe will be tried, after I get the meatloaf sliders the way I want them.

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

I have found that many good days start off with bacon and coffee...

Hope you keep getting better each day... You'll be dancin'round the hog trough in no time at all (old country sayin')...

Dann in Ohio

Brigid said...

Brighid - meatloaf sliders. :-)

Just got done taking Barkley out on the zip line that let's him into the non fenced grass without me having him on a leash. (think redneck discovery channel). It works. Coworkers and friends have been walking him every couple of days, but this works for the basics. I can't do the stressers on the knee to walk him yet.

Roscoe - hope you didn't get a boatload of snow. Dad doing OK, power iffy, but he has a fireplace with insert, tools to heat food in it, and lots of food ready to heat. When the bro's can get out of dodge they'll be down to check on him.

agirlandhergun said...

Good grief, I am going to have to just get off the computer for a week, lock myself in the kitchen and cook everything you post. I think I make good food and I even make a pretty darn good corn muffin, but somehow when I see your food, my mouth waters and I think I must have that NOW!

Laurie Neverman, The Common Sense Woman said...

Thanks for the laugh. :-) Peas are my cold pack veggies of choice as well, although with little boys in the house I typically have a couple of standard cold packs on standby at all times.

Their most recent use involved younger son getting smacked right between the eyes by older son with a poly Roman short sword while they were sparring. Younger son complained that older son shouldn't have hit so hard, I reminded him that he should learn to dodge and parry better.

Just to let you know, I've officially moved to my new home at my own domain name, www.commonsensehome.com. (It only took me the better part of year to make the switch. ;-) I've noticed a few of your fearless readers still trickling in to the old site, so if you'd be willing to update my link, I'd be much obliged.

Stay warm! We're freezing our tails off in the northwoods today.

Laurie

Tango Juliet said...

Worst case of berryberry I've ever heard of.

heresolong said...

I did the zip line thing for my dog years ago (since passed away) so that he could run even though I couldn't walk him constantly. Thirty feet of wire cored clothesline with a fifteen foot dog lead on a carabiner and he had 1600 square feet of room to wander around. Then some busybody called animal control because he was sleeping by the back door and she thought he was chained to the back of the house. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

Recipe sounds awesome although I am currently on low carb to drop some Christmas weight (boy that sounds girly when I say it out loud) but looking forward to giving it a shot when I am back to my normal eating habits.

Thanks.

nate.mckenzie.aouc said...

Glad to hear you are back at it! Beware those berry episodes cause they really stain stuff FOREVER.
The Corncake (that's what my Louisiana buddies call it) sounds real yummy. I just happen to have a good supply of Coal Creek Maple Syrup from over west of you. Then about the bacon (double yummy!).

Raven 61 said...

Some years ago, while stationed at Tinker AFB, we were given a recipe for corn casserole by the Cajun mother of a buddy. It had fresh chopped jalapeños added in. It’s really good with chili.

PPPP said...

How ever do you keep your girlish figure with all the scrumptious recipes you post?

I'd gain at least 40 pounds if I only made one of your recipes a week ('cause I'd make a lot and eat it all).

quizikle said...

Maple syrup goes well with bacon (and I like both), but have you tried cornbread or corn muffins with sorghum? Tastes kind of funny by itself but with butter on muffins... :)

Keeping with your policy of no commercials, I'll just state the stuff I have is from a sorghum mill in Kentucky...when I can't get homemade.
Q

Roscoe said...

The snow didn't stick around past lunchtime yesterday (Wednesday). We didn't have any problem going to visit Mrs. Roscoe at her office in Battle Ground.

Your father should be okay. A lot of media attention is focused up there this week due to the ruckus at the grain terminal, and the modern reporter doesn't suffer power outages lightly. "What? No free breakfast and/or hairdryer? What kind of hotel are you running here?"

Old NFO said...

Good one! And yeah, peas... :-)

45er said...

Hehe. Oh, I'm a fan of cornbreadish type things. I believe I will be trying this.