Thursday, August 15, 2013

Posts From the Road - Something Blued

Something old
Something new
Something borrowed
Something blued
Blue is good, in a fine blued firearm, or perhaps in the form of blue cornmeal.  Many of you probably haven't noticed the bag of cornmeal that's blue colored in the bulk grain aisle, but you've likely tried one of the blue tortilla chips out there.  I'd picked up a bag of Bob's Red Mill Blue Cornmeal and on Sunday morning early decided to try my hand with a batch.  I tweaked the recipe on the bag a bit, and the results were beyond my expectation.
OK, it looks like a slab of cement with molasses on it, but boy, is this good.

Blue cornmeal is typically a medium grind meal made from blue corn, with a flavor that is both sweeter and more intense than regular cornmeal.  It's not really pure blue but consists of coarse flecks of lapis against lavender-hued slate. Color wise, it doesn't make for a particularly attractive dish, but it makes a delicious one.  It's used in lesser known Southwest dishes such as piki bread (a wafer thin bread of the Hopi) and chaqueque (porridge) as well as other more traditional recipes (and incredible tortilla chips).

It's "grittier" than regular corn meal and has a more earthy aroma. This brand, compared to my stocked cornmeal, has 3 times the fiber and 50% more protein with slightly bit more non saturated fat, making for a filling side dish or light meal in itself for breakfast.

It was slightly more course in texture, though with this recipe, very moist.  I was also sweeter without adding extra sugar, with an almost nutty undertone to it.  The edges, like any good cornbread, baked up nice, golden and crunchy.  Served with molasses and butter, this made for a dandy breakfast and I'm looking forward to trying some other things with the remainder of the bag.


  1. I have been selecting dark ears of corn every year until my Indian corn is nearly black. I am going to grind some for corn meal this year if I can keep the coons out of the patch. The corn has been knocked down by the wind and attacked by coons until it is sorry looking but I see a few ears. I hope it is as good as your blue corn meal.

  2. Damn, I'm gonna have to get some of this the next time I go east of the Coast Range.

  3. I love a coarse cornbread. I don't think this looks unattractive. I think people might think it's cornbread with blueberries until they take a bite, and then I think they will be pleasantly surprised. Most of us could use a little more protein.

  4. Zdog, vitacost dot com sells Bob's Red Mill blue cornmeal. I like Arrowhead Mills brand, but I'm not sure how far it gets shipped (I'm in Texas).

    I've had good luck with adding blue cornmeal and piñon nuts to pancakes, but they do stick to your ribs for, oh, twelve hours or eight miles of canyon hiking. I cook by eyeball, so I mix the batter a little thinner than usual and add the cornmeal by the handful until the consistency is back to "normal" (a hand and a half, most of the time, for my standard batch of pancakes.)

  5. That doesn't look all that good, but I'm betting it is! :-)

  6. Sunnybrook Farm - I'm sure yours will be good, Thanks, as always, for visiting.

    zdogk9 - I'm going to be out at Dads in September through part of October helping get the house ready for winter (firewood,storm windows, etc). I can bring a bag and drop at your business if we have time to get out that way, but I bet you could order it online quicker than that. If you can't find it I'd be happy to mail you a bag. You and your wife would have fun creating with it.

    Jane of Virginia - it was a nice surprise actually and I'll definitely use it again. (your link is up for your book :-)

    Alma - Excellent idea, I'm going to toss in some toasted pine nuts in with the next batch instead of the roasted corn and try pancakes or waffles.

    Old NFO - it was sort of the "double bagger" breakfast, but dang it was tasty.

    Brigid (on dinner break from the eebook)


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..