Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bend It Like Bacon

No, we weren't beamed up to the Mother Ship. Partner in Grime had a birthday, turning the big Three Two, and we decided to stay close to home.
But what for a special Birthday breakfast?  Bacon.  It's timeless.

Bacon Breakfast Burritos.  I started with some fried bacon.  Then a couple of those formed and frozen cheap hash brown patties (bachelor food found in the freezer) were fried until golden and crisp in the bacon fat (this is SO not "part of this nutritious breakfast!")
That was topped with scrambled eggs  to which was added a pinch of chili powder, the bacon and a little sprinkle of white cheese.
Then, the secret ingredient.  Jalapeno corn salsa.

A couple of cups of frozen corn, thawed
A handful of Cilantro, chopped
2 small jalapeno's chopped (I left some of the seeds in to make it hot)
1/3 sweet onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
a few dashes of salt
juice of a couple limes (approx. 2-3 teaspoons)

Let sit for a bit to let the flavors blend and served with slotted spoon.
This  was really easy and will be good on the garlic roasted pork tenderloin I cooked and put in the fridge for him as I drive back to Indy  in a couple of hours to go on duty tonight.
Serve as is in a rolled up warm flour tortilla or, if you're like me, add some sour cream and crushed red pepper before bundling it up.

It's brunch, so that sort of counts as lunch which means we also get dessert.
Key Lime Cream  Cheese Pie (Recipe in the comments) No, it's NOT traditional key lime pie and is not trying to be.  But if you like citrus and cheesecake, this is a super easy dessert made with things many of you will have on hand and requires no baking. 
It was a HUGE hit. I would be willing to bet it will be gone by Monday night.
Fueled up,  it was time for some more weekend fun.

No, we didn't eat too much.  Why do you ask?

13 comments:

  1. Key Lime Cream Cheese Pie

    Mix with hand mixer:

    8 oz. softened cream cheese
    1 can sweetened CONDENSED milk
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    1 carton whipped dairy topping
    1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons Nellie's Key Lime Juice (if using regular lime juice add 2 more teaspoons).

    Place in graham cracker crust and let firm up in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your partner.
    Were the trains from Mr. Muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheese pie recipe looks a bit familiar, just a bit fluffier than what I make. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DH loves key lime pie too, but being diabetic I have to make a diabetic version. Still tasted pretty good last time I made him one.

    Hope Partner had a wonderful birthday celebration with you.

    The breakfast burrito looks tasty .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Partner In Grime !!!

    That's one serious train set up you guys have there. I'd never get anything done with one of those around to play with, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed - no, not that I know of. I'll pass on my regards on the birthday.

    Mrs. S - it's an old standard, just one I'd not tried, and he really, really liked it.

    Monkeywrangler - I tweak recipes as well as Big Bro was diagnosed with Type II some years ago (I'm the opposite end, I have low blood sugar).

    naturegirl - these were club set ups at the high school, folks brought all kinds of stuff to play with. But we have our share, I got hooked on the trains with my brother when I was about six.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to adapt this for Hubby...he loves lemon and cheesecake and this sounds right up his alley, provided I can make it work.

    I wonder how different it would be with real whipped cream, as opposed to whipped topping. I'm a sucker for the real stuff; we never had the generic cool whip when I was growing up. It was laden with corn syrup, and my mom is deathly allergic to the stuff.

    Many happy returns to Partner! I shall envy him forever for being younger than me, in perpetuity. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit it, that last one made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A while ago while working for a catering company we did a birthday party up in Lake Tahoe for a rather rich well known guy - his house was custom made (rustic style) and he had built ledges with train tracks about 2 feet down from the ceiling that ran through every room in the house. Complete with trees and towns along the way, each pass through a wall was a "tunnel" - all quite elaborate. I soooo wanted to take pictures, LOL. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminded me I had way too much bacon this weekend. I'm not a bacon wrapped everything kind of guy, but I think I had 20 pieces over the 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh noes... TRADITIONAL Key Lime... MUCH better!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had high hopes for the Key Lime Pie... Just me, but I like the traditional one better, more twang...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Auntie J - whipped cream would have been good, but I was using what was in the fridge freezer and otherwise would have been thrown out. I don't like to waste

    deadmandance - I didn't even SEE it at first. . .

    naturegirl - how cool is that!!!

    Max - if I weren't already happily married. . . :-)

    Old NFO - with no eggs and no oven, I did my best, it was still pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..