Friday, October 9, 2015

My Home is My Castle

"arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
 -- Thomas Paine

The average response time in one study of a large city in Texas in 2004 to a class 3 burglar alarm was 32 minutes.  Response time, on average, for 911 calls today?  10 minutes.

The time it takes a bullet to reach the meth addict with a bad attitude and a knife kicking in my front door?
1200 feet per second.

If I can avoid danger without conflict while on the street I will do so, removing myself from that which might pose a threat, before it does. But the only time I am going to run from my own home is if the Crème Brûlée meets acetylene torch Christmas party dessert gets out of hand or if the house is flooding.

The only time I'm going to hide in my home in fear, praying I won't be hurt, is if a tornado is approaching (you know how those go, there's some video on TV with some guy taping the approaching tornado entering their backyard while  in the background  some woman is screaming "Earl, Dammit, you get down here in this basement  now!  Earl!!!!")

It's known as Castle Doctrine and it can vary state to state.  If you are law abiding and intend to stay that way and keep a firearm in your house, get to know the law for your area.  They can be complicated but it's still better protection than unicorns and a moat.


  1. And how sad is it it varies!? It should be universal!


  2. Amen. You used to have a poem you wrote on this subject that was posted on the side bar of the blog. I hope one day you repost it.

    1. Thanks Cathy - but I honestly don't recall the poem. Sorry.

  3. I hope it comes to mind one day. It was really neat, about being prepared and ready to meet evil, should evil come.

    1. Ahhh - I think I remember. It was from 2009 and I think I made it a post, taking it off the sidebar. Here it is.


      Two things move under night sky
      the thing that came to kill, and I

      He, released from prison to roam
      and I, peaceably headed to home

      He carries a knife and drug addled sense
      seeing just prey, without defense

      I detect movement, intuitive fear
      and put my hand to pistol near

      Worried, alone in that gloomy blight
      above the fear, I prepare to fight

      He hears the click of a chambered round
      fleeing quickly to hunt safer ground

      No predator dares go hunting for me
      for I am armed, that makes me free

      I holster my pistol and slowly stand down
      heading towards home in a dark, sleeping town

      For there are two things that will not die
      my right to carry, and this night, I

      Brigid at Home on the Range (c) 2009

  4. I love that! Especially "...for I am armed and that makes me free..." I hate to say it, that is not the one. Thank you so much for looking. I'm trying hard to recall a phrase from the poem I am thinking of. I know it had to do with the real meaning of patriotism and being ready and quietly, confidently able. I think it compared two situations, one being a home. (I'm sorry to be a pest, but it summed up my feelings so well. I loved it.) I appreciate you very much!


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..