Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Joys of Travel

- a day in the life of a traveling Squirrel.

I stay in places that have TV's in the bedroom bigger than mine, and with many more channels. I've always just purchased basic cable as I don't watch much TV, or HBO or anything like that. Mythbusters, Man vs. Food, Dirty Jobs, Discovery, History, war movies, sci fi like Firefly, B.G., Red Dwarf, that sort of thing.

So when I have access to a fancy TV as I get ready for sleep I have fun looking through all the channels. But since I've usually been through multiple time zones and have been awake a long time, I start clicking buttons without really looking, sometimes getting QUITE the surprise

Picture the conversation - I'm channel surfing when my buddy Miles, from the International Sneaky Service, checks in to say hi and asks if I'm settled in safely.

M. -"I'm watching Two Mules for Sister Sara!"

B. - "I'm going to watch a movie too!" (click, woah!) . . . . . "Uh, I'm not sure what it is but it's definitely NOT G rated "

M. -"What movie?"

B. -"Hang on." (turns up sound)


B. - "I'm not sure, but I think it's called, let's see here. . . . "weapons of ass destruction."

M. - (long pause)

B. - "Either that or a really intense episode of MacGyver"

M. - (chuckle) "MacGyer?"

B. - "Well, there's a beautiful woman, some gadgets and look! Something exploded!"

M. - (can't speak, he's laughing too hard)

I'll be on the road a lot the next couple of weeks and hopefully can find "Mythbusters" on to watch in the week hours. I'm not sure where all I'll end up. Since I've exceeded Platinum status as a frequent hotel guest and am something like the Kryptonite level, I get waters and snacks in my room. But sometimes I get lucky and stay in cities where I can find something other than a mint on my pillow to fortify me for another day of playing Agent 000.


  1. J Frame? Looks a lot like my little J Frame Kit gun in .22LR. Much nicer than a mint on the pillow any day!

    I can only assume you did not get it from the mini bar in the room. IF you did, I want to know what hotel you are in!

    Stay safe!


  2. Dang, I'm not to that level, I'm still getting mints... sigh... I'm home for a whole 5 days, I don't even know how to act. Actually sleeping in my own bed feels wierd!

  3. Hotels, in general, are over-rated, and going home is the best. I haven't traveled extensively in awhile, but didn't care much for it when I did.

    Just the same, here's hoping you get the rest you need ... McGyverisms or no.

  4. I fear that high definition TV's have caused a problem in producing the content you were watching! Some things do not need 1080i (or p) resolution!

    Just saying.....


  5. Made me laugh.

    While channel surfing remember the immortal words of Three Dog Night,

    "I seen so many things
    I ain't never seen before
    Don't know what it is
    I don't wanna see no more"

  6. I guess I haven't managed my frequent traveler rewards very well. They don't put mints on my pillow, and I have to bring my own gun!

    What kind of neighborhood requires the guests to check in with a firearm?

  7. Hell, I have stayed in places where I had to bring my own soap.

  8. I gleefully threw the television away when the offspring left home. I only see it at airports, or at other people's homes, and always find it amazing how much the talking heads have aged between views.

    Best wishes.

  9. I’ve actually stayed in some places--some states that denied me to legally carry a firearm--where the hotels/motels should have offered a “Complimentary Handgun” with each room!

    Damn the free HBO and heated pool, comp me whatever goes bang and I'll be back; if I have to...

  10. Good on you for the Model 60! Bonus points to keep the original grips! I am impressed! This is a small frame handgun! Perhaps some aftermarket grips would be handy? I have a Colt Detective Special (that I love BTW) that was truly enhanced with the Pachmayr grips. My Colt is .38 Special. I really would not want to contemplate .357 cartridges in this size gun!

  11. Miami hotel?

    The last time I was on the road for work, I found myself watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" on HBO ... and liking it.

    (Okay, maybe the 56 hour technical training class in five days made me a little kooky.)

  12. Those Reese's would be GONE if that were my room!

  13. Safe travels and clean television shows Sister - wouldn't want you going over the edge or anything :-)

  14. Blessings and prayers...
    from your local loco Hillbilly.
    YEE HAW!

  15. Those Reese's were probably gone 30 seconds after that pic was taken, LOL.

    If the travel ever brings you to Southwest Lower Michigan, let me know. I'll bake some brownies and drop them off.

  16. That was a typo, it's a Smith and Wesson 66. The neighborhood was quite safe but the zombie target at the local public range after work was NOT.

    OK, someone asked, Agent 000 was from the Secret Squirrel cartoon show which I remember watching as a kid.

    Real life is usually not as much fun as being a kid, but I try.

  17. Just be sure to wipe down the remote, you never know what wierdo might have been in that room before!

    Remember the Mythbusters show that had the only thing dirtier than the remote was the kitchen sponge.

    D.W. Drang - possibly any hotel near LAX as well?

  18. "weapons of ass destruction."

    Hey I've seen that, I think there's a whole series! They probably make new convicts watch it before they get thrown in the slammer.

    Isn't education great?

  19. Discovery Science usually has older episodes of Mythbusters scattered among it, though I am looking forward to the Friday Night Survival Shows on the main Discovery Channel. Mike Hawke's wife on "Man Woman Wild" is a perfect example of the Modern 21st Century Woman stuck in a Survival Crisis w/o Vogue. And the Barefoot Hippie on "Dual Survival" is also fun to watch. Safe Journeying to you!

  20. Is it a bad sign when you see a picture of a hotel and can identify the chain by the type of furniture and fixture?

  21. Engineering Johnson - you, my friend, spend more time in hotels than even I do.

    I have my favorites. Love Homewood Suites, have had good luck at most Hilton properties. Stayed at this awesome four star resort in Northern Ireland recently.

    But still prefer my little bed with the blanket with the moose on it.

    Thanks for the email. Say hello to your Dad for me. Hope your Mom is feeling better.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..