Saturday, February 4, 2012

Quote of the Week -

I love those who can smile in trouble,
who can gather strength from distress,
and grow brave by reflection.
'Tis the business of little minds to shrink,
but they whose heart is firm,
and whose conscience approves their conduct,
will pursue their principles unto death.

Leonardo da Vinci



  1. Brigid,

    So much can be said by silence...or a sigh. Beautiful words. Our best goes to those who are in pain over age, economic, and environmental issues.

    No one said life would be easy. But, sometimes it is very hard.

    Well said. Thank you.


  2. Those last seven paragraphs communicated more than all the newscasts I seen these last few days.

    I bet at least one pilot wasn't laughing though.

    Stay safe. The storms have missed me so far.

  3. I'll second Hat Trick. I've been watching the news about the tornadoes and devastation, but not feeling it - until just now.

    Thanks, Brigid.

  4. I can be in car number four in a multi-car pileup. Banged around a little, but otherwise fine. The occupants of cars one and two in very rough shape, in great need of medical care.

    In such a situation wings pick up my feet. I move forward to help. I'm a part of the story, and my actions are not mine, but are guided by a greater being. I'm in the thick of things and already a part of the story. I stop bleeding, I share reassuring words.

    I am covered in blood. To a TV crew I am highlighted as a hero. But I'm there, already a part of the story. A victim as much as anything.


    You are safe, you are not part of this horrific story, yet you rush in. You are not propelled into this dark tragedy merely by fate, you are guided by the light in your soul.

    From an observer on the outside you have a choice. You can just go home to be warm and dry, safe in your own home. To you, there really is no choice - there may be danger and discomfort, but there is a generosity and caring aching to burst out of you.

    You go in eyes wide open. You go in by the will of your decision. You go in by the desire to help. You are an unsung hero.

    This is you.

  5. The making of a song title, a lament, tragedy knows no boundaries is not prejudice, does not pick and choose.

    I know full well the loss. The homestead was made into kindling and spread across the plains. What my grandparents had poured their blood sweat and tears into was again a barren piece of earth. Where my mother was born, no longer. My uncle had taken over after grandpa's death. His new buildings flattened, windrow, twisted and shattered.

    It is a scene vividly etched into the mind. What had been home is now a memory. The losses can not be measured. The power of Mother Nature is beyond comprehension. The picking up of pieces will be little consolation for the loss. That will never go away, a bitter gall that lives inside.

    My heart goes out to those who suffered through the wrath of Mother Nature. There will be prayers for all who are involved. thanks

  6. I suppose it is that in darkness like this that those who choose to light up the world with their actions shine.


  7. Who said life was static or to be unchanging.
    Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.
    If you get knocked down get back up.
    A thing is a thing, and a life is a life.
    Things can be replaced. A life can not be.
    If you have done it once, you can do it again.
    An ending is a new opportunity to do it better next time.
    Today is your last chance to show your loved ones you care.

    Love is what you do not what you say.

  8. Mike - true, just glad I have got friends like you to help with the hard parts. Enjoy that grandbaby and I will talk to you tomorrow.

    HatTrick - Yes, I've been keeping an eye on the radar up at your place. Stay safe.

    Julie - thanks.

    North - you give me a lot of credit that others deserve more, but thank you. I help when I can.

    John - you say it more elequently than I, which speaks from experience. Thank you.

    Jim - :-)

    Joshkie - "Love is what you do, not what you say". So very true. I've had people say they love me and show me something totally different, and the strongest love I've felt was shown before it was ever said.

  9. I am NOT awake yet (lots of sirens last night to wake one up).

    The piece in the top picture and the heart necklace were made by my "little sis" Shannon. (no, we're not related by blood just by a long, strong friendship). Those are two creations I cherish. She has an etsy shop link in my friends sidebar, go look around.

  10. Living in the "alley" and dealing first hand with this type of tragedy never prepares me for the emotional impact. I've had close friends lose everything but life and bounce back stronger. I've known families that lost loved ones, never to be the same. I've watched funnels looming as if to target our home, only to veer away and devestate some other structure. Those who live in the sweet spot between charging cold fronts and sweeping warm air develop a sense for when conditions are right and we go on point, watching for the signs. But no matter the years of experience we have the fallout is always powerful and prevoking. Prayers (and supplies) are gathered and sent, efforts are organized for when others have left to help those who remain rebuild. Out here its what we do. Thanks for so eloquently providing that sense of loss while illuminating the strength of the human spirit to plunge on in the face of adversity. Your words draw and motivate, maybe someone reading will decide to chip in in some way.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..