Sunday, July 8, 2012

Your Cordless Drill May Have a Laser Sight On It. . .


I'll let  you all figure out what it is.

Here's a big clue.

You all have a safe weekend!


  1. Okay, you made jealous. But it comes with a price. Next time I need to turn a new firing pin for a PPk, I intend to show up at your door.

  2. A mill?

    As some name rifles, you should name tools.

    This would be "John Stuart"

  3. It's an old piece of equipment.
    From the hint you provided, my guess is that it is a metal molding/shaping tool. Used to shape fenders etc.
    I enjoy your site. Thank you.

  4. I enjoy your site. Thank you.
    The piece of equipment is a metal shaping tool. An old piece of equipment. Maybe you will use it to shape fenders and assorted car parts.

  5. Looks like an old machine lathe. Jealous for two reasons: Antique, and your increased ability to make parts for gadgets! Mind your tolerances...

  6. I'm gonna say an atlas machine tool, perhaps a horizontal mill or more likely an 8 or 10 inch lathe.

    Remember, keep hair, jewelry and loose clothing away from moving parts.

    The farm/industrial injury chapter happens to be the most grotesque in the EMT book.

    I'm just sayin'.

    Have fun,

  7. Looks pretty awesome! Did it come with tooling? How big is the deck? My Pop had a chance at a 5'er a few years ago, but he doesn't have 3 phase to the shop, and he'd spend as much on add-a-phases as the machine. How old is it?

  8. You got a lathe. Cool.
    My dad bought a mini lathe when I was about 10. I build many slot car parts with that thing. I even use it to drill a relief hole in my smashed thumb nail. Have fun.
    Tie your hair up. Short sleave shirts.


  9. Horizontal drill press or lathe?

  10. I know a place that makes castings for tank parts.

    I can hook you up.

  11. You get tired of it, I can always find room in my garage for it;)

  12. Hm. My best guess would be a lathe or drill press.

  13. You bought a shaper?
    I'd prefer a small vertical mill and lathe, but hey, you gotta start somewhere!
    Oh yeah, and a mig welder, and a set of oxy-acetylene tanks, and a bigger compressor, and, and, and.....
    Geez....I need a bigger garage, first!

  14. Oh, yeah, having a great weekend. Up at 3 AM, a couple of hours going through returning through homeland security, sailing at 4:30. Great day. ;)

    Happy Sunday,

  15. Is this a lathe?
    The oiling points and the shift handle and the motor and the atlas sign kinda imply 'Latheness'.

    Rich in NC

  16. Is this a lathe?
    The oiling points and the shift handle and the motor and the atlas sign kinda imply 'Latheness'.

    Rich in NC

  17. About 5 folks have got it spot on and the rest are very close. I will give one more punny hint and will post everyone's comments after supper. - Brigid

    Immanuel Kant was a real piss-ant who was very rarely stable.
    Heideggar, Heideggar was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table.
    David Hume could out-consume Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.
    And Whittgenstein was a beery swine who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.
    There's nothing Nieizsche couldn't teach 'ya 'bout the raising of the wrist.
    Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.
    John Stewart Mill, of his own free will, after half a pint of shanty was particularly ill.
    Plato, they say, could stick it away, half a crate of whiskey every day!
    Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
    And Hobbes was fond of his Dram.
    And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
    "I drink, therefore I am."
    Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
    A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed

  18. Lathe, but I'm not sure how it is connected to the Python song.


  19. Roscoe asked about a connection to Monty Python - if this device were given a name (like my Wilson Combat Tactical AR15 "Vera" the name would be in this song. .. )

  20. In case I was one of the merely "close:"

    ...let me hedge my bet
    ... repeat my threat

    to darken your doorway. Every so often I need to John Stewart Mill a dovetail slot.

  21. Way cool! An old Atlas lathe. I want one.

  22. Not only do I know what it is but I used to own a pair of them. Well, I had one like that an an MFB. I think the MFB horizontal mill had a power cross feed and power assist vertical feed too. The first lathe I had was an Atlas-Clausing, and the first shaper was an AAMCO shaper. Nice tool. Tank would be small.

  23. I think it is a milling machine. Which I have always wanted. Oddly, since I would not really know what to do with one.


  24. You got a milling machine? Squeeeeeee!

  25. I think it is either a surface grinder or a horizontal milling machine.

  26. Oh, I know. A Lathe to make parts for the Triumph! God knows you will need one, LOL!

  27. Everyone did really well!!! You guys know this stuff. Evan gets the bonus points for the first right guess and the first great pun.

    Since it's made by Atlas, it is VERY similar to the lathe they made, and in some aspects, the shaper. Well done guys and gals!

    Wolfman - it came with six 8th inch cutters, one four inch slab cutter, cut off saw, boring head, extra arbors, and a full set of collets. And gals I know that got 10% off on spandex at Kohn's think they did good!

    Mrs. S - It's horiziontal. Good eye! Both you and Capt. Schmoe.

    Jim - awesome! You win the internets today.

    First project - left handed adaptor for Swiss rifles, then perhaps a custom scope mount, or ruling the world. We'll see when I get back from big squirrel road trip that leaves at o'dark hundred and this gets set up in it's permanent home which is NOT the back of a vehicle.

    Thanks for the smiles!

  28. B: Here's some info on the lefty adapters

  29. Doesn't loose talk about building tanks in your garage result in a visit from Homeland Security?

    And Mrs. Roscoe is scared of the ADS-B sniffer I made from a $20 EBay gadget.

  30. I knew the Monty Python song! That must count for something?


  31. So jealous! All I have is a Harbor Freight mini-mill :(

  32. My dad has one like that, always fun to play with metal, even if steel has gotten a lot more expensive over the years (or has the value of the dollar dropped?).
    Enjoy every minute B

  33. The vertical ways for the table saddle to run on rule out a lathe and the round spindle rules out a shaper so a horizontal mill is left.

    A nice machine, Ma'am. Very useful. I owned and restored a couple of old Atlas lathes, 1938 and 1942, old enough to use babbitt bearings. They are too light to be very rigid but are light enough to put into a garage or home shop and capable of versatile and precise work.

    Have fun. I hope you will share your impressions as you use it.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..