Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Coffee - a Recipe from a Friend

Want something warm, spicy and sweet for your Christmas brunch?

You need to have some good friends.

I was out at Dad's, I don't usually post as to the quick visits, but I do get out there regularly to check on him.  It's 6 hours on a plane and a couple hours or so in a rental car, neither cheap or easy, but I do what I can to make sure he is safe and happy. Big brother lives close by so I don't worry too much.

One visit, a few months ago,  my good friend Brighid at  Brighid's Place  was able to came over, as she was visiting her grandkids who live only an hour or so from Dad.


When you see a beautiful blond  in tight jeans in a HUGE truck pull up, there's not much guessing who it is.

It was a fun visit, and between fun visits out West we share all sorts of things, bad jokes, photos of kids, gun reviews, elegant poems that rhyme with Nantucket and recipes.  She's a budding chef, I'm her muse and she is my supply of really, really good wine when I'm at Dad's (Thunderbird?  Dad,  Really?)

So here is one she sent me a few days ago to try, with just a couple  of HOTR tweaks (OK, alcohol and Scandahoovian Spice was added).  Enjoy!

Whip two Tablespoons of unsalted butter until very fluffy.  Then add:

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Vietnamese cinnamon
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cloves
1 and 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
a tiny pinch of Cardamon
a pinch of lemon zest (the finely grated peel of a washed fresh lemon).

Mix 1/2 cup Cognac and 1/2 cup heavy cream (you can do all cream for young adults and non drinkers) in a separate container with an airtight  cover.
 
Fill each coffee mug with 1 tablespoon of the spice mix, a shot glass of the cream mixture and the rest with good hot strong coffee.  Stir well.  Makes about 12 cups, and both the spice mixture and the cream mixture will keep  in separate covered containers for a week or two in your fridge to make single servings

7 comments:

  1. Scandahoovian Spice? Is that the Cardamon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PPPP - I could be a smartass and say it was the Vietnameese Cinnamon. You can probably find the cardamon around where you and your wife live as there is a larger Scandanavian population there, than here. I get the pods at Penzey's and grind my seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardamon no-problemo around here in 3B-Visa land! Never really wondered why Swedish rice-pudding with raisins reminded me of Bengali rice-pudding with raisins, but I figured the Vikings knew where to go when it was cold up north! May try that with Rum instead, we got no Cognac around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Invasion of The Body Snatchers) "Don't be afraid, it's only a pod!"

    :-P

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang... I like your recipe better than mine...
    If I promise to not wear my shit kickers can I stay for dinner next time?
    You have been a blessing in more ways than you'll ever know... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm, I'll skip the cloves, but that sounds good....

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Cognac around right now, but the ingredients sure sound like they would go with any good whiskey, or might help smooth over some bad whiskey I need an excuse to drink.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.