Friday, February 27, 2015

Brother in Arms

As I said before - since someone here (not a regular just a "insert adjective here" saw fit to post online where my family burial site is in the comments through Find a Grave -  when Dad passes, there will be no notification.  Give us that bit of privacy please.)

But tonight---on the week of the first anniversary of Barkley's passing and my brother's birthday, one of the last photos I have of he and my 93 year old Dad, outside of praying at the dinner table on one of our last trips.  It was a drive to our favorite breakfast diner where my brother could always talk the waitress out of a giant mug of coffee "to go" for free,  because even to the end, he was a charmer.  And a punster - so I can only imagine the quip he had just stated when I got this photo of him starting to crack up.
My brother was once six foot strong, a muscled 260 pounds, red hair, a sailor's stance. His nickname was "Bull" for a reason.  Looking at this it would be easy to see sadness in his frail frame.  But I just see how he was taking every last drop  of joy with his family in the days he had left.

He's still my hero - even as he's gone to tend to us from above, a Submariner always on watch.

15 comments:

  1. He's on Eternal Patrol watching out for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your words all these years, Big Bro is one of my heroes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pics, especially the hand of Dad, almost in benediction. Blessed be to you all. Hugs, Brig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. There are too few heroes just now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first picture is a wonderful picture of your brother and father. Two fine men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brother looks like my favorite kind of pesty.
    Thank you for sharing these pictures.

    Rich in NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember the good... And glad you have the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures, thanks. It's easy to become emotional reading this post as it applies to nearly everyone. I'm so sick of losing loved ones and as the years pile on, it doesn't get any better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pictures always leave me with bittersweet memories.

    Merle

    ReplyDelete
  10. What they said. I liked Big Bro, just through your stories. The biggest, toughest guys in the Navy were always kind & gentle; sounds like "Bull" was cut from the same cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Gentlemen - he was a rare individual. The next book - about our adoption which laid the groundwork of my daughters adoption --has many more stories of him which I was grateful to be able to share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wished I'd had a chance to meet him. Blessings. JF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing those pictures, and all the stories from your adventures with Bull. He has one heck of a bird's-eye view over you now and I am sure he is as proud as can be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful pictures. I can almost hear the laughter.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..