Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It came in the mail today like a letter bomb.

An invite to join AARP. I believe it will make a good target this Saturday. Next Wednesday is my birthday. They couldn't wait.

I feel about aging like William Saroyan said he felt about death "everybody has to do it, but I always believed an exception would be made in my case". All of my elderly relatives say they still feel like they were young, my Dad said nothing much changed after my Mom died and he edged into retirement other than all the names in his little black book ended in "M.D." Then in his 70's he fell in love again, hard, and remarried and he says that love late in life is still the sweet roller coaster that it was at 20.

Myself, I feel about 25, unless I haven't had my coffee in which case I feel 107. I never felt old when I turned 30. When I turned 40. When the occasional grocery store checker started calling me "ma'am". When I saw my old school lunch box in an "antique" store.

I got up early this morning and after opening up the curtains to the outside fields, I went in and looked in the mirror in the morning light - closely. Start with the body. OK, it's not 20 any more, there's those extra pounds that set up base camp somewhere low and safe and never hiked out, my knees make really funny noises if I run up too many miles and there's quite a few small scars - that time I fell off a ladder refueling a tanker, the tiny hairline one where, when rock climbing, I got beaned by some small stones tumbling down, the one on my knee where I had a mid air with a hurdle in high school track. Yet what is there serves me well, taking me where I want and need to go: flipping a sport airplane upside down with glee, to the grocery store, to the gun range, over seas and around the block, seeking out and finding adventure with friends who accept me as I am.

Now I look at my face. Thanks to good Scottish genes and sunscreen there's no wrinkles around my eyes unless I smile, but those are the best kind, those that map the laughter of good company. The few little wrinkles? Earned them. Every damn one of them. Finally I look at my eyes. Still sea green, edged with blue. The eyes can be serious. Like others who do what I do, I've seen a lot. Blood, senseless violence, and careless tragedy. I have learned the hard way that there is danger and dangerous souls in the world and I'm not one to shy away from it. My reaction to attack is to defend, not give in. It's not a cognitive thing, but a visceral reaction. Hit unawares, I have ducked, turned, and struck back, ending up tired, and emotionally bruised and wondering how I got there. But I do it, for to me there is hope in it, there is order. I never had the sense of clockwork conspiracies, or some kind of imposing order of evil. There's simply a sense of things falling apart. That's my sense of how these things happen, that it's not any kind of calculated evil driven by grand karma, but just control disintegrating. Most times, things fall apart and happen out of stupidity and carelessness, not anyone's personal jihad. And I'm there to either prevent it, or if I can't, pick up the pieces.

Sometimes I take it home with me. And though in my writing I can write of the nature of immortality and death, with an emotional mantra, in my work, in my daily life, I must strive to be unemotional, especially as a woman in a job that is seldom done by women. Yet looking in my eyes, at my stance, there is a sense of will, and a satisfaction for doing what I do.

These green eyes have seen a lot. They've seen birth, death, failure, loss, success, and dreams denied. They look the same as 30 years ago, yet are different. Like me. I am more myself and more at home in myself than I was at 25 or even 35. I'm content in that. I'm content with my life. On this quiet day, I sit in my library looking onto my garden surrounded by my recent book purchases. Heinlein, Ayn Rand, Stephen Ambrose, Louis L'Amour, James Hornfischer, Theodore Rex, Terry Pratchett. How I perceive my life can be glimpsed through the books I read, as if my selection offers a glimpse of my sense of self or a mirror, wit and honor and courage occasionally lost, then re found. Convictions of tangible choice that changed how I live and how I see the world.

No it's not youth, but it's a vast intangible strength we call "soul" that's going to persevere for a long time to come. I wouldn't trade that; exchange the sense of who I have become, the self that is secure in its structure, the self that is worthy of love, for any chance to be a firm, pert 20 year old again. So, content, I will finish my day as a singing bird erupts into sweet song in my back yard. What I know now; now that I am considered AARP material, is not how to be dead, which I know too well how to do from all I have witnessed, but how to be alive. Living and breathing and growing, as the trees in my garden and the liquid tranquility of a rushing stream or a mere small songbird, who truly believes that in this moment, he's eternal, and for an instant, may very well be.


  1. The excess of our youth are checks written against our age and they are payable with interest thirty years later.

    Happy birthday in advance and thanks for all the great writings. I look forward to reading the blog every day.
    With Louis L'Amour and Heinlein in the library you are never lost for something to read.

  2. Happy birthday, if a bit early. I received my first invitation to join AARP on my 35th birthday. I fussed a bit to my wife, who was expecting our oldest daughter at the time (who's now almost 20).

    I still feel about how I did at 35, other than my knees imitating rice krispies when I stand up.

    When the next invite came on the occasion of my 50th, I pitched it without opening. I'm not old, nor elderly ... just older than I used to be. Aren't we all.

    You, ma'am, have the strength of character to withstand the ravages of time - and your age will always be irrelevant.

  3. You still got it all going on where I stand. Don't sweat the petty things. And don't pet the sweaty things, if you can avoid it, too. Most of all, you're as old as you feel, and though I've never felt you, I imagine you feel about 28.

    (duck & run)

    My birthday is coming up too, and it's one of those with an 0 on the end of it, and it doesn't phase me at all. I still intend for most of my biggest adventures to be ahead of me.

  4. I'd marry you but my wife would probably not like it.

  5. Okay, I was wrong a few weeks ago when I said I was considerably older than you. I'm not quite a year older. But you look so much younger. Good genetics you have. My reddish hair went mostly silver several years ago.

    Happy birthday in advance as well.

    And you're right. Though I would love to have the vitality of 20 something back, I'm not sure I'd want all the other junk that goes with that age.

    Nah. Creaky and sometimes rickety, but I'll keep what body I have, thankyouverymuch. I earned it, I built it, one scar, one line, at a time. (Not that I can trade it in, anyway.)

  6. Brigid, Happy B-Day!! I really enjoy your writings. Unfortunately I can't cook worth a D... If I could I know I'd enjoy your recipes as well. I do like the Pics. wyn and Louie, a GSP and a Llewellin, LOVE the pics of Barkley and agree with his political commentary.

  7. So, this brought up two things. One was the Luann strip in last Sunday's comics. Mom is trying out a new face cream that is supposed to make you look younger, and offers some to the Dad, with the suggestion that maybe it was supposed to make you look as young as you feel. His reply: "You want me to look 12?"

    The other was a line that I once used, "I swear I'm going to live forever. So far, so good!"

    AARP also thinks I'm ready at 39. So either their concept of old is messed up, or maybe I just got more than 39 years worth of livin in so far. I'm going with the latter for the moment.

  8. Happy birthday, mine is on Monday. I received my invite 5 years ago. In my opinion AARP sucks as they don't represent my point of view (anti-gun) and they also suck on their support for Obama's healthcare disaster. They will never have me as a member. Oh well. Food for thought.

    Happy Birthday fellow Leo...

  9. Here we see the difference between getting older and getting better. If a few years' experience is as good for me at it appears to have been for you, then the future is bright indeed.


  10. One of the things I most enjoy is the respect I receive from other people.
    When I was 40 they respected my status. When I was 50 they respected my knowlege.
    Now, they know I have seen the elephant, many times, and seek my advice on "what did you do then, and can I do it?"
    It is comforting to find out that they call you a 'good man'.

  11. Happy early birthday, in case I forget n MY old age.

    I definitely have the spirit of the teenager, the body is willing mostly, there's days and then there's days.

    Here's to another year reading some of the best stuff on the 'net.


  12. Happy Birthday and great post, as a long time lurker I really appreciate your writing. Its insightfull and very helpful on some of lifes ruffer days.

  13. I was given a senior discount recently without asking or being carded. I was SHOCKED I tell you! The wife laughed her you-know-what off.

  14. I saw my Gunsmoke lunchbox for sale one time, and I thought, "Cool! I have to get that."

    It was $75... I passed.

    My Mrs. is 3 months older than me, which she says isn't a long time.

    I always tell her to hold her breath for three months and then tell me it's not a long time :)

    Aside from my knees hurting from too many years shoeing horses - I feel like I'm 16 most of the time.

  15. An early happy birthday to you.

    An impressive philosophy on aging. You're getting older but at the same time you're getting better like a fine wine. I hope to someday have the opportunity to contribute to "that map of the laughter of good company"

    I might propose just to get access to your library. :-D

  16. AARP has been sending me stuff for years, don't think they'll ever stop. Won't have em. Don't agree with em.
    Stay young!!!

  17. I've sent most of the AARP come ons that arrived here back without filling them out.
    Cost 'em a bit of postage and handling.
    Never shot one but it's not a bad idea.

  18. I really thought you were much younger than me, instead of only 3 years younger. I have been doing my job for 31 years and some mornings I feel it, but there are many days when I can still out work the kids, especially the ones who have never opened a roof with an axe. And I still enjoy pawing through the rubble trying to find the area of origin of a fire. That said I wouldn't change a thing, I am much happier with myself now than I was 30 years ago. As for all of you with the creaky knees I can heartily recommend fish oil. Mine have stopped clicking since I started on it. Happy (early) Birthday.

  19. Happy Birthday. Mine was last Sunday, and I am constantly astonished at how the world has gotten so much younger while I remained the same age ;-)

    Besides, getting older beats the alternative, at least so far.

  20. I got an AARP invite recently. Came as a bit of a shock, considering I was turning 34. Guess they need the enrollment?

  21. You are a younger woman, woooo hooooooooo. OK 18 months isn't all that much I guess.

    I work with a bunch of young pups, almost all of my immediate co-workers are under 30. I was an experiment by management to inject some maturity into the shop. Being older I challenge any of the young kids to keep up with me at work and very few can.....I am proud of that. I lift as much as often as any and I use my knowledge and planning to make sure I don't have to work any harder then I need to.

    They are in the majority young veterans or Guard or Reserve members and have and will ask me if I need help every now and then, I let them. They realize that I have been working hard longer then most of them have been alive.

    I do admit I feel younger when riding the motorcycle then with any other activity I do but if I put 500 miles in on it in one day I feel it the next, but not as much as if I sat in a car the same distance.

  22. Well said Brigid! MUCH more eloquent than my birthday thought at 50. Mine was ah damn, now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up... :-)

    Seriously, we are products of MANY factors, our lives, our health (both mental and physical), our outlets, our friends, family and a host of others. No two of us are identical, nor are those of us with common backgrounds really that far apart either.

    I really DO believe the eyes are the windows of the soul, and reflect our inner selves for those who are smart enough to look...

    Oh yeah, Happy 29th (again) :-)

  23. Age? You mean that thing the world tells us we're supposed to do? HA!
    That's all in ones head. Sure, the body changes because that's what the mind tells it to do. The rest of you, as said by others, is like fine wine. The insight and wisdom you have and share just keeps getting better... And lest I forget next Wed., Happy Birthday!

  24. People started calling me "Sir" when I was 23 and moved to Arizona. Ok, ok, maybe it had something to do with the openly carried 1911.

    Polite society and all that.

    happy Birthday.

  25. Happy Birthday, young lady. No way you're old enough to be getting mail from AARP. No way.

    I, on the other hand, AM old enough, except that I went to the Direct Marketing Association's web site and put us down for their "No junk mail" program (
    and never received anything from AARP. It doesn't shut off ALL junk mail, but AARP, at least, respects the consumer's choice. (Or, they saw my name on enough lists to figure I was a bad prospect.)

    WV: nochi. Isn't there supposed to be a "g" in front of that?

  26. " will make a good target.."
    I like it. Much more gratifying than sending it back in the prepaid envelope.
    Happy Birthday, and many happy returns.

  27. Mrs. Roscoe's elderly patients all feel that AARP has sold them out in the current standoff over healthcare.

    Mrs. Roscoe feels the same way about the AMA and other organizations which are supposed to represent her profession in this situation.

    I stopped sending money to IEEE years ago. I can't recall them making much of a fuss over H1B visas as my profession was dismantled in this country.

    I'm about your age. This may sound odd, but the mental trigger that makes me contemplate the passage of time is an important "Ghostbusters" anniversary. I watched what is probably an unhealthy number of repeat screenings of the film in high school/college, and this year marks the 25th (!) anniversary.

    No, it never gets old. I know every scrap of dialogue and plan to buy the new video game ... for the kids of course. :)

  28. I wanted to be first to wish you a happy birthday. Fat chance huh.

    AARP sent their first to me at 30, must have needed the membership then. They suck. Still not a member at 68.

    Ready to start the next phase of my life. Going on a camping trip to catch a fish in each state.

    You are not getting older, only better. Makes me sad that I would have to get in line to marry you.

    Louie and Ann great reads.

    See Ya

  29. One of the few good things of being part of the narcissistic baby boom is that we have a shot at getting rid of the idea of retirement at 62. In my opinion, age is relative, and you should govern your life regardless of how old the calendar says you are. I'm 48, and I feel as if I'm just getting started. Retirement? Not any time soon if I have anything to say about it. There's just too much darn stuff to accomplish.

    Nice article!


  30. Oh yes, and happy birthday, Brigid. Please take Barkley and celebrate by doing something fun. And don't forget the good food part of the celebration.


  31. Happy Birthday!

    My AARP app arrived a couple of years ago. My first thought: I can use the discounts! I've earned 'em.

  32. Happy Birthday, WOW, my birthday is the same day as the famous Brigid, although, I have more than a few years on you. The AARP thing is not as bad as having to sign up for Medicare and Social Security..........then you can feel old. What is it with August birthdays? I know at least 20-24 people with August birthdays. Must have been a lot of lovin' on those cold December days.

  33. Happy Birthday and count me in for the cake.

    First there was the day someone called me Mr. U.., I spun and looked to see if my dad was somehow behind me. (Alas, he had pasted years earlier). Then there was the moment that I realized that I was my dad's age (how did he get so much more wisdom than I had at the same age?) Some where about then, ZAP! AARP mailings. And the final “I guess I am like my dad moment”. My son called and asked if he should be feeling this way.

    What way I asked?

    “You know Dad, like when we went to Yosemite”, all nervous, joyfully, excited, trembling and overwhelmed with wonderment. I assured him that being newly married would soon wear away and yet all those feelings he was having with his young wife would carry him across the seas of life and never fade.

    That is how I still get with my love. Though time has twisted and weaved its tentacles into my very soul, I still feel like Christopher Robins. I've got to get back to house...there's so much to do. Count all the bees in the hive. Chase all the clouds from the sky... Stand and watch in wonder and awe as the love of my life and I sail into a new day.

  34. When you're done with the AARP target, I'd encouraged you to mail it back in to them. With markings like 120gr ball next to circled groupings.

    On your upcoming birthday, many happy ones!

    Me, I don't get old. I'm like a fine Scotch whiskey, the more I age, the finer I become.

  35. Very good post ma'am. Enjoyed it a lot. I too feel my age every now and again, especially when doing strenuous activities I used to 'sail thru' when I was younger. Now, I have pause every now and again to catch my breath.

    But thats okay. I've noticed far more details during those pauses, things I would have missed if I had kept pressing on to 'reach the top' - seeing those minor everyday miracles is now a blessing, something I missed before.

    Maybe that is an advantage of getting older, BEING ABLE TO APPRECIATE THE EVERYDAY MIRACLES. To recognize how special it is for that event / sight to occur.

    Or maybe I'm just getting old, lol, I don't know. 46 years isn't that young, but still some life left. But I appreciate the good things in life now, and make every attempt not to take them for granted. You never know when your last day is.

  36. Hi, Brigid;

    Happy birthday!

    "Myself, I feel about 25, unless I haven't had my coffee in which case I feel 107."

    Took me by surprise. I laughed till my brains fell out. I SO identify with that. Also the part about earning the wrinkles...

    In another 5 years, you start getting discounts at the movies!

    Welcome to my world!


  37. 1. Happy birthday, in advance.
    2. I use the paper I receive from the AARP to clean up after my cats. I can't stand the organization (and their anti-Second Amendment stance).

  38. Beautifully written. I too get those AARP letters ...even though Im a few years too young to qualify.

    I guess they do make good target material. Hope you have some rest and relaxation set for your birthday
    and I will just say an early happy birthday to you.

    Breithlá sona duit

    A week early

  39. Well Ms. Brigid, I'd thought you were much younger by your relaxed easy flowing writing style. Seem's as though we are both "of an age" as the saying goes, though I expect I'm the elder with a few more year's in LE.

    What you've keyed upon viewing within your self is aquired "wisdom" which does not correlate with education or age but instear thorugh experence. Wisdom is a good thing as we can pass it on to those who choose to be receptive.

    You have your Barkley as a muse where as I have my Marley, who happens to be a very self determined Golden Retriever who happens to be very receptive to listening to my concerns. He help's me destress by bringing me his ball, dropping it in front of me, or rolling over to have his belly rubbed.

    Enjoy your day, age is a gentle burden that remind's us of where we've been as well as how bumpy the ride was.

  40. Happy Birthday, a bit in advance, to a fellow Leo.

    Mine is today, but 43 doesn't carry a lot of baggage.

    I'm a long-time lurker-really enjoy your writing, your choice of authors (Robert Anson Heinlein
    '29) and firearms (SIG P220!)

    Best Wishes,

    P.E in S.C.

  41. Your soul is ancient! Your outlook on live is in the present. Your writting is in the moment.

  42. Brigid,

    I turned 50 recently and have been covered up by the nice folks at AARP.

    I told them to go pound sand.

    Hey, you might appreciate this latest post of mine.

  43. Happy Bday B. Wonder if 2 Leo's would be compatable...;-)?

  44. Happy Birthday, Brigid. And plenty more. I remember when I woke up one morning and realized 60 and come and gone. Mrs. Crucis says she's still 29 although she's only two months younger than me.

    Time flies when you're busy and your attention is elsewhere.

  45. As always Brigid, an excellent read. I think I'll chime in since I think I'm in the lead for earliest AARP membership attempt.

    I recieved one at 25, and at the time, feeling *really* quite old. That certainly didn't help.

    I can only hope the years are as interesting and kind to me as it seems they have been to you. Happy Birthday a touch early, and many more happy returns.


  46. I will throw my Happy Birthday in with all the others and concur that by all accounts you are holding up nicely to the wear of time.

    The natural state of all things is to decay and it is up to us to put up the good fight against such, whether its our bodies or the decay we see creeping (or surging) into society. On both accounts you are doing more then just holding up your end of the bargain. I tend to see evil as a little more insidious and intentional but then, isn't that the nature of deceivers? Those who want to remain undetected tend to be less overt in their actions, no? Endless cycles of life and death repeat and decay is easy to spot, but beauty and grace are found in spite of age in the eyes and hearts of those who nurture and encourage and like a good wine, often get better as we...mature.

    I raise a glass of nicely aged wine in toast to your comming birthday. May you be continuely blessed with love, grace, peace and happiness.

  47. -Parry, riposte! O'course Ursula would just have ripped the mailbox off its post. There is precision and blunt force and each has its place, (I guess) . Nice flourish, too! I remember when I got my first AARP mailing. Ouch! I think they must start sending them out SO young because they want to desensitize you and they figure they can just keep 'em coming until you acquiesce. (and they do). They do represent a large and growing voting block with my end of the age demographic in view. With friends like that, HA!

  48. Well - I just turned 52. Ic an do the same things I used to do but sometimes it just takes a little longer. Some injuries take a little longer to heal than they used to but other than that no worries and life is good

  49. Ahem. Smooches and roses, like everyone else. I spent a lot of time thinking about you, all last night and again this morning. So here's the deal. At 50 you're at your best. I'm talking about writing. I know from experience, and if I wanted to, I could prove it with a pile of data, using the writers you admire.

    If it was anyone else, I'd shrug and smile, wish you a happy birthday and repeat all the sincere admiration I feel. Bless you a million times and thank you for throwing your weight on the side of freedom and justice.

    Except not today. Outline. Two or three chapters to get yourself hooked so bad you won't rest until it's done.

    Our country is at a crossroads, and you know why. You know the depth of it and can see what's coming next, just over the horizon.

    Yes, you're *that* good.

  50. Happy Birthday--apply as necessary.

    There's is a quotation, in "I Will Fear No Evil" I believe, that is appropriate for you--in 40 years or so. ;-) I'll leave it to you to pick it out.

  51. When I originally read this post this morning around 3:30 a.m. I thought I was 25. All us concrete guys have a little masochistic streak. I believe it's the adrenaline rush of dumping alot of concrete out and only having 1 shot. Do it or jackhammering is imminent. After 3 consecutive days of big complicated pours, my adrenal gland is in a bit of a pout. "Hey dude, did you forget that you are 51?" Seven and a half hours after being 25 I'm most definitely 51. Time flies. steve

  52. Happy Birthday.
    On Sunday I will be celebrating the 37th anniversary of my 18th birthday. To borrow a quote from Ronald Reagan

  53. Happy birthday! I never felt old until I was forced into retirement for medical reasons,

  54. To quote Paul Kirchner, "one reads in order to become better company for himself."

    Happy Birthday!

  55. Seems like my day to admit mistakes. At least mistaken assumptions. I assumed you are turning 50. That's when I got my invite (appropriately round-filed). Some of the comments are indicating that AARP isn't always very accurate with their invites.

    So, since it's not generally polite to ask a lady her age, I won't. I'll just assume AARP screwed up again in your case and sent it several years early.

    I'm still having trouble believing you're already over 40. Doesn't seem possible.

  56. Argie - beautiful put. You've a lucky family.

    Did it My Way - August 12, close to your day for the big moving on sale as well.

    Bruce - I've gotten rid of two many books in the various moves over the years. Now I'm just surrounded by my favorites.

    10% - yes, they start sending out these AARP things EARLY any more. I've got 17 years at least til I retire.

    Stan - enjoy the ride.

    Steve R - Age is 40 and holding. That's all I'll admit to.

    Crucis - the time has flown. Perhaps I'll see the two of you next summer.

    Top of the Chain - that is a good idea. I'll put a hole in it, THEN mail it back.

    Down Zero - thank you. I don't feel old but I've captured a lot inside that's there, for the right day.

    RC - you've watched "The Quiet Man". I get mad rarely. But when I get mad, I get mad WELL. :-) Two Leo's would be some fireworks, that's for sure.

    Marlowe - I know. I need to get down and just WRITE them. I've got the time now, I need to.

    Sport Pilot - I've met people who were 60 that were shallow and 40 year olds as deep as a river. It depends on how much of yourself you open up to the world, hurts and all.

  57. Brigid,

    AARP, feh! I was in my mid-30's when I went to see Apollo 13 at the Smithsonian's IMAX theater.

    The attendant offered me the senior citizen's discount.

    Pride went before the wallet; I said no.

    And you've tempted me a couple of times to quote Clint Eastwood, but since I don't have his panache I've spared you. However, if you keep talking about too many candles on your cake . . .

    Happy Birthday!

  58. Happy Early Birthday Brigid -

    My dad's birthday was yesterday, the 5th. He still doesn't think you are real - he believes that there are 4 or 5 people that do all the writing on your site!

    Take care

  59. Jason - One person. Type "A" and can type 90 wpm.

    Give my best to your Mom, and your own "brigid". Hope all is well with you two.

  60. AARP got both my wife and I last month. Hope to never feel as old as 50!

  61. Less than half of ones life is spent being "young" if you live to 80 and think being over thirty gets you in the "not young" category.

    The inevitability of time marching on creates creates an illusion of age.

    As a pendulum swings one way, when you are too young, it can't swing fast enough, then the pendulum swing past the center to the "getting older" side it can't swing too slow.

    If you don't take care of your physical vessel you pay the inevitable price of "feeling your age" both in body and mind.

    Sounds like you have many more years to come.

  62. A belated happy birthday! If it were me, I'd enjoy the AARP discounts. :-) As a 30-something, it's always a pleasure to read of all that I still have to look forward to in the years ahead. Truly the best years of my life are still ahead of me, as they are of you as well.

  63. When I turned 40 I was in the western pacific heading east and thinking it might go unnoticed. Sometime late evening I went to the Chief's quarters and an old grizzled bosum mate gave me a plain brown paper wrapped package and said happy birth day Ben. Looking around I saw several other Chiefs suppressing grins so I knew I was in it for it but unwrapped it anyway. Inside was a plain old navy issue wash cloth. I looked at Boats with a wtf? and he said got you a new comb Ben. I had little need for a comb then and none now but it still tickles me when I think about that gift.

    Love your blog and envy your mirror because I know you are a beautiful woman.

    Happy Birthday.

  64. Hi Brigid:
    Happy B'day, a bit early. I was at the grocery store on Wednesday and discovered that once a month they give 10% off on your entire purchase if you are 55 (which I am!) or older...just one of the many benefits of aging ;-)
    Gracefully, I hope.

  65. It's always good to trot out the line attributed to Satchel Paige, although not listed in Wikipedia: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

  66. I celebrated my 40th birthday a couple of years ago by going skydiving.

    Life has only gotten more interesting and enjoyable each year since I turned 30.

    Physical age is irrelevant. This weekend I had two 65+ yr old guys run past me going up a trail that was rated strenuous for hikers. They past me coming back down before I made it to the top.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..