Saturday, July 27, 2013

Saturday Range Living

Just another boring Saturday at the Range.

The morning started early, up before most of the neighborhood, the sun just starting to hit the windows, coffee brewing in the kitchen.  I like such mornings, no one cares if I have "shop hair" and there is no schedule.
 
The bat phone is turned off, I have no obligations, Dad and Big Bro are snug and safe for a few more weeks til I can get out again, Big Bro's son and daughter in law, both nurses, close by. The day is mine to do as I please, while Barkley waits for breakfast or a lost mailman to wander into the dining room.
I love Saturdays. For it usually means 3 things.

Firearms (part of this complete Saturday).
 
We'll see if anyone can guess this pistol, but a couple of generations ago, you could buy this from a Sears Catalog for about $3. This sat under the counter at a Ma and Pa retail store in the Midwest for generations, in case of a robbery.  It's older than anyone in my family, and deserved a little more than to be "buy back"somewhere or scrap.

Then it's time for a little shop time before brunch.

Don't forget the safety equipment

 
I can't hear you, but you can't see me. ha!

It's all part of the Second part of a Complete Saturday -Fun (aka: Tools)

The back of the Range kitchen has an area that's just cheap metal shelves. It's about the size where a Hoosier Cabinet might work. I'm apparently a lousy Hoosier as I'd never heard of one until Partner in Grime showed me some pictures.  Cool!  Hoosier cabinets are named for a cabinet produced by a New Castle, Ind manufacturer around the turn of the century. Sitting on casters, it can be moved for cleaning or cleaned for moving.
 
I was really wanting this but I think the Hoosier cabinet would be a little more practical
The typical Hoosier cabinet consists of three parts. The base section usually has one large compartment with a slide out shelf and several drawers to one side. The top portion is shallower and has several smaller compartments with doors, with one of the larger lower compartments having a roll-top or tambour or additional drawers.

The top and the bottom are joined by a pair of metal channels which serve as the guide for a sliding counter top which typically has pair of shallow drawers affixed to its underside
In addition to the traditional accessory feature of the Hoosier cabinet, what I really like about it is the combination flour-bin/sifter, a tin hopper that could be used without having to remove it from the cabinet. A similar sugar bin was also common. So, have any of you seen one/used one?
 
With as much baking as I like to do, that might work! My storage AND counter space are currently minimal.  I'd want mine to be in white to match the rest of the cabinets. But yes. There's certainly the supplies and tools around here to give it a try.

Like these. I heard guys seriously like that top one.
Until cabinet time, there's still the free Bassett Craigslist sofa, ready to be refinished and re-upholstered (in some nice black microsuede fabric that's on order). The mattress will come out if possible, slats and/or drawers put in its to support the cushions and provide some storage space.
But right now, I'm starting to get hungry. 

For it's time for the third and last part of this complete Saturday  - Food.

Time for Saturday Morning Pancakes. This morning, a tweak to the World's Fluffiest Pancakes recipe.

Use lemon juice instead of the apple cider vinegar, add an additional dash of vanilla, a good pinch of Nutmeg and a couple handfuls of fresh picked blueberries.
It's probably good that I can make a decent pancake.
Because it's come to my attention that what guys really dig is the Wonder BRA.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like a relaxing start, and those are invaluable. The pancakes look awfully good, too; I'll leave it to others to wax eloquent about the relative merits of a Wonder Bra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a revolver that looks just like the one that you show marked US REVOLVER but it is not near as good as yours, my dad picked it up used back in the late 1950's it has been well used and is only a shelf QUEEN now. would be nice if it could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going with an Iver Johnson top break in .38 S&W. maybe .32. It's not an S&W lemon squeezer. I have one of those and the one above does not have the right grips or the palm safety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nutmeg...Huh. Whoda thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Daddy Hawks on the Iver Johnson. I had something else to say, but then the blueberry pancakes distracted me, and I nearly choked on the Wonder Bra-Bar confusion and...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got one of those revolvers, nickel plated, in the safe.

    Good luck finding .38 Smith ammo at a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My jaw dropped at the sight of that revolver. . . the gun I grew up with - a S&W .32 with a curved handle (that I always associated with the Civil War) opens just like that one and is a 5 shot. Until recently, I had no idea how old it was. A friend showed me a page out of a gun catalog and using the serial number, we found that it was made in 1962 - older than my grandmother. Amazing. I just never know what I'll find reading your blog, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your day... much deserved... the gun? looks a lot like the Hopkins & Allen top-break .32 nickle-plated revolver we have that belonged to my gal's grandmother...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Forgot about the Hoosier, My mother had one when I was a kid back in the early 1940s.It was light green with flour bin and a place for sugar I have no idea what ever happened to it. I watched her make thousands of biscuits and pie crust on it.(long time ago)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a girl we had what mom & dad called a "kitchen queen" - we used it all the time as it was meant to be. Now I guess it was a Hoosier cupboard. I wonder where it is now.

    Oh, by the way, the pancakes look great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, haven't a clue what make of wheel gun that is.
    Hoosier cabinets are awesome. Had one in one of the 32 houses. They've gotten way pricey unless you have a picker friend.
    Got a barn full of mission style parts & pieces, when the daughter got a 3 semi buy on it.
    If I eat any more of your pancakes it's going to take a wonder bar to get the wonder bra off! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. About the cabinet... first time I remember seeing one was at our family's cottage in Wisconsin (the wheels had been removed.) I believe there was one in the John Wayne movie "The Shootist."

    Bing Hoosier cabinets and you will find all sorts of info on these masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When my in-laws died, they had a Hoosier. We sold it for a pretty penny because none of us completely understood it, not had the kitchen space at the time. We also were charged with the task of liquidating most of their assets and then dividing the cash between four brothers and then reporting to the probate court. Doing this alone took us two years ! Thanks for educating us on the Hoosier.
    I have always subscribed to the idea that a woman can "like what she likes" and still be feminine. I have lived it, and thank Heaven, my daughter has too. It heartens me to see you being a lovely insightful woman, and still strong, functional, and so aware of so many things which are so often considered the purview of men alone. My daughter and I always joke and say, that this is what being a "real woman" is all about. Your parents must be so incredibly proud of all that you have accomplished and all that you are. I know, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When you posted the Wonder Bar picture you struck a nerve with this old craftsman. There is a 12" long one we call a mini that is perfect for lifting the moldings and trim so that they can be reused. The standard bar is even more useful if you have 2 as there is a multiplier effect in them somehow. Next up is a standard 3 foot crowbar. Almost any thing can be disassembled with one. I have one from 30 years ago made in W. Germany that when struck rings pure and bell like. A cheap crow bar will break and hurt you badly. Last but not least is the 6 foot railroad bar. I keep one in the truck as it is my go to tool if things really go sideways on a job it can help get things back in line. The only thing more useful is a cell phone to summon strong friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going with an Iver Johnson break top in .32... And I want to see the TR-6 rolling down the road with y'all in it and the top down!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Iver Johson had an owl at the top of the grip .
    The target on this one denotes a Harrington + Richardson .
    Hopkins and Allen had an H+A in that spot .
    The S+W top breaks have an S+W there .

    The .32 S+W guns are nicer to look at the .38 S+were sort of ungainly .

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Harrington and Richardson,probably in .38 S+W .

    Iver Johnson has an owl face on the grip where this one has the H+R target .

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sherry - this one is even older than that (see Sunday's post). I think a lot of us grew up with some classic firearms in the house. In our house it was just long guns, but there were some dandies.

    Old NFO - actually on the laptop at the crashpad there is such a photo (I have serious aerobatic hair). I will send it to you when I go back to work.

    B. - I learned watching a master make pancakes. Thanks for all the tips.

    Glenn Kelley - you got it!!

    BePrepared - I doin't plan on plinking with it, it's going to be taken care of and put on display perhaps in a little oak box.

    fatfred - so many good uses for such tools. I roomed briefly with a female LEO when I was between home sale and new house (as was she). When she got resettled she left me a box with "all the tools you'll ever need". I laughed as it contained a hammer, a screwdriver, some duct tape and a few nails). My version of "all the tools" would never fit in a box.

    oldoakie - I'd not seen one except on the internet. My grandmother on my Dad's side was from the Indianapolis area. I'd more than bet her family had one of those.

    Jane of Virginia - thank you my dear. I thoroughly enjoyed your book (loved that you covered care for the critters in a bug out situation) and Partner is reading it now. I appreciate your friendship. We'll talk again soon.

    Aussie Alaskan - thanks. The pancakes were good, but today to play with the recipe a bit, I used kefir (fermented yoghurt) to make the pancakes to see if it would come out like sourdough, and it was pretty darn close, and very very easy. (It's in Sunday's post).

    gfa - it has been the serious carb loading weekend. Going to need to get out on the bicycle tonight.


    ReplyDelete
  19. As you may well find with your Bassett sofa, with proper application the Wonder Bar will also lift and separate. :)

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..