Sunday, October 27, 2013

Some Days Are Special

“Everybody knows that everybody dies. But not every day. Not today. Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.”
— River Song, Season 6, Episode 13
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
— The Doctor, Season 6, Episode 6
“You don’t just give up. You don’t just let things happen. You make a stand! You say no! You have the guts to do what’s right, even when everyone else just runs away.”
— Rose Tyler, Season 1, Episode 13
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
—The Doctor, Season 7, Christmas Special
The Doctor: "Amy, you'll find your Rory. You always do. But you really have to look."
Amy: "I am looking."     
The Doctor:" Oh, my Amelia Pond. You don't always look hard enough."
Doctor Who - Season Six, Episode 13
 “There’s a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive… wormhole refractors… You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold.”
— The Doctor, Season 6, Episode 6
 “We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13


  1. :-) :-) :-) :-)

    Special days indeed!

    :-) :-) :-) :-)

  2. Cool cake and cufflinks, Brigid. Sent you an email...


  3. Well done! Big smiles here!
    Just remember, one psychopath per Tardis.

  4. Not sure what's going on, so I don't know if I should say "Congrats", "Happy Birthday", or "Whatever".....

  5. Wow! Did you get married?? If so, God bless and keep both of you!

    If not, God bless you anyway!

  6. The best things are bigger on the inside than on the outside. Life can be like that sometimes. Especially on these sorts of days.


  7. I don't watch the commericals with the sad shelter dogs and the sad music. I don't read books where the hero dies. I don't watch movies where children are put in harms way. There is adequate suffering in the world without exposing myself to more suffering recreationally. I prefer to escape to worlds where the hero vanquishes his foe and gets the girl, where the gymnast always sticks the dismount, and where the cake is not a lie.

    and sometimes, in real life, the cake is not a lie, the gymnast sticks her dismount, and the hero vanquishes his foe and gets the girl.

    That happens rarely enough that it is a joy to behold, and an occasion to be relished. I would not have thought it possible that I would experience it in my liftime, but I have. Thank you for sharing your wonderful gift.

  8. I'm guessing I should say Congratulations?

    I love the cake, it's awesome!

  9. Congrats.. Love the cake, it is awesome....

  10. You did not! Congrats, my friend. :)

  11. Great cake!

    Is he helping you up out of the snow in that last shot?

  12. Rev Paul - thank you for all the support on this journey. It meant a lot to us.

    Stephen - big hug back. My best to you and your wife.

    Vic - I got the email. Thank you, my friend. :-)

    Jennifer - They do tend to take up space, don't they?

    Tam - I was so glad you were there with me. We won't be forgetting that day any time soon.

    Old NFO - and so you can rest assured, Partner in Grime can make chicken pot pie too! Hope to see you soon.

    Dr. Jim - I usually do the birthday cakes Tardis free :-)

    Bob in Tampa - Partner in Grime, and I tied the knot. How do you resist a handsome engineer who makes you a dozen roses out of duct tape on Valentine's Day?

    Og - those words made my morning. Please give Mrs. O and the oglette our best and we'll see you this coming weekend.

    RichD - it was standing room only in my tiny little place, but it was good. The cake was a blast.

    The Captain - aye!

    MSgtB - indeed. Helping hands are always good.

  13. Congrats Brigid(and Partner in Grime) Couldn't happen to two better people.
    Some times these announcements remind one just how out of touch they are. I read your blog every day and had no idea it was coming :) What a great surprise. Not to mention the good taste shown in using the Doctor as a theme :) Again congrats and my best wishes for you both!

  14. Oh, wow!!! Congratulations, Brigid and Partner in Grime!!! I am so, so happy for you!!! God bless you and keep you both!!! Here's wishing you many happy years together!!!

    *Happy Dance in California*

    Purple Magpie and Family

  15. Congratulations to you both. --Matt R.

  16. Most joyous congratulations to you both!
    May God grant you many, many years of happiness together.

    Cufflinks? I thought those were pasties...

  17. Heartfelt congratulations to you both.Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

  18. How cool!

    Wait, does this mean you have 3 living spaces now?

    I thought the duck tape roses were appropriately clever. Proof now it's effective too, LOL.

    Give away was the girl figure is a redhead, hehe.

    Congrats again, and many blessings to you both.

  19. Well a big CONGRATS, then!

    Gonna be a lot of broken hearts amongst the guys in the blog-o-sphere, though!

  20. Mazel tov! May G-d bless both of you and your families.

  21. May God richly bless and keep the two of you!


  22. Congratulations and prayers for the both of you for a long happy union!

    Hope Barkley approves :-)

  23. Massive congratulations from me and Murphy. I see only good things in both your futures.


    What duct tape has joined, let no man put asunder!

  25. "Just this once, Rose, Everybody lives!" Eccleston as Who, production code 1:10: The Doctor Dances.

  26. Deepest Congratulations ! I love the Celtic influence noted on the rings !

  27. Well, congrats from Michigan! Well done.

  28. oh Brigid, My heart sings for you.
    for you both. May your journey together be loving, warm long and prosperous

  29. Well,YAY! So happy for you both! Sorry I missed being able to throw you a ticker-tape parade on the appropriate date!

  30. Congratulations!

    Did the frosting turn everybody's teeth blue?

  31. Well, despite the fact that you have just ruined the hopes and fantasies of uncountable hordes of internet bachelors, The Queen, M&M and I wish you the very best. A bad marriage may be worse than no marriage, but a good marriage is better than no marriage and a great marriage is beyond compare. Wishing you an uncomparable marriage.

  32. Congrats for whatever. May you two have long and happy life. Boy did I miss something. Peace and long life.

  33. Many congratulations to you! I hardly ever comment here, but I do read every day. I'm very happy for you!

  34. Congratulations! I was in transit with dead appliances or I would have sent this sooner. Cool theme. Y'all go!

  35. Well, now, isn't ths special! Congratulations to you both!

  36. Late as usual, but at least I don't have to waste what few brain cells I have left trying to figure out the pictures. I so did not get it. DOH!

    Congratulations and best wishes to both of you.

  37. Congratulations you two from Lu and I. We wish you...No. We pray for your happiness and long life together.

    Such great news. I'm going to be smiling for weeks!!

  38. So cool! Congratulations! And Dr. Who cakes seem to be becoming the norm.

  39. Major league congrats. My next trip up to St. Loo I'll have to detour over to give you two a gift.

    Is ammo ok?

  40. I am going to try and respond to all of you who were so kind to leave a comment. If I miss anyone, it's not intentional, it's been a good, but long day, and there's a long drive in the morning.

    immagikman - we only told the people standing up for us, the minister and Tam and Bobbie until just a day or so prior to keep it private, small and simple. We'll have a good blog meet after the holidays with cake and a toast for those that couldn't be part of it.

    Maureen - oh, thank you Maureen.

    purplemagpiesnest - thank you G. We've known each other a long time and each time I put on that blue hat and scarf I think of you.

    Rogue Aviation - thank you Matt, and glad things at work have settled down for us both.

    Rick O'Shea -0h, you can always make me laugh.

    billf - thank you Bill.

    nature girl - just two, we set up shop a while back in a 100 year old place with appropriate mortgage. I'll just keep the crash pad as I will be commuting for a year or two. I could transfer but I'd be a minion, not Grissom. We'll take it as it comes.

    drjim- Partner in Grime, was a reader, became long time internet friend, then the immortal words were spoken "do you want to go play with steam engines?" The rest was history.

    Alma B. - bless you and yours, as well.

    idahobob- we're going to make your salsa, he likes to cook as much as I do.

    Midland A. - oh Barkley certainly approves. After I blew my knee out two years ago, Partner was the main source of "walkies".

    Murphy's Law - thanks for the note. Life is indeed good.

    Uno Mas - ha!

    og - That's perfect. We'll see you Sunday, location TBA.

    Jane of Virginia - the wedding rings are from Dublin.

    Mac - I hope he can be made an honorary scotch night member, even if he's not a squirrel pilot :-)

    Annie Mouse - thank you, my friend, it was a truly special day.

    Auntie J. - we'll settle for the fries jumping up and down and yelling "yay!"

    Mrs. S. - not that we know. It was tasty though, the foundant having a layer of whipped cream under it.

    DaddyHawke - well, I wasn't exactly swamped (more than one) with offers for dates, so the internet bachelors have no grounds to complain. But thank you. I hope you'll meet him, next time you are up this way.

    Dennis - it was sort of the stealth wedding, but thank you. :-)

    Dirk - thank you for taking the time to comment. My best to you and your family.

    mikelaforge - I got your off blog note. Thank you!

    Mick - we appreciate it. Thanks.

    PPPP - hopefully, we'll both get out to see Dad next time when we're out in your neck of the woods.

    Six - life does finally come full circle as you and Lu have found. Our best to you both.

    Proudhillbilly - it WAS fun.

    Greylocke - ammo is, indeed. You know where to find me.

  41. Congrats. As an occasional reader I love your blog, and it is great to see you finding some happiness with that special person. You deserve it.

    I did go to his blog after the duct tape flowers, and keep meaning to steal that idea, if I ever remember early enough to make it work to surprise the missus (also an engineer).

    Again w/ the congrats,


  42. Heartfelt Congratulations to you both!

    Best wishes

  43. Good for you. Long days and pleasant nights.

  44. Congratulations. Truly happy for you, all three of you :)

  45. Congratulations. I hope you have as much bliss as I got from getting married.

    Getting married is the single best thing I ever did.


  46. Gibbs slapping myself for having missed this at the time!

    Congrats to you both -- er, all three, can't leave Barkley out! Here's hoping that someday, some way, we'll find a way to meet the entire family.

  47. Well, that is nice news, Brigid! I've been away from home and missed this earlier. All the best :-)

  48. Congratulations to you and Partner! So very happy for you all--I am sure Barkley knows he was instrumental--and wish you the very best. :)


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..