Friday, May 9, 2014

Brown Baggin' It - It's Not What You Think

No, not brown bag as in "take to work", but cover it up as it's not attractive at all.

This is a recipe I made up because I had a large cheap pork roast to use on a work day and had made a Trader's Joe's run when they had a sale and picked up some of their green salsa.  It looked like, well, meat chunks, in a green tinged sauce.  Not exactly cover blog material.  But dang, it was tasty.
After work, I  made some nice round  homemade tortillas to go with it, which was even better.  Also, about as photogenic as pictures of paper plates (and yes, I am aware I took some artistic liberties with "round")

I only sent the recipe to a few guy and gal friends who cook when I first made it, not intending to post it due to it's spectacular lack in the looks department, but the feedback I got was so good, I opted to post.

My friend Shelby, who has family members with Celiac disease sent these words this last week:

"We made your yummy recipe last night. It was amazing. My kids could not get enough.  Thank you for thinking of us."
I like this! You telework at the crash pad while I get used to my new life. There's a soft bed just for me and something in the kitchen smells amazing.

Gluten Free Easy Crockpot Pork Chili Verde (NOT authentic, but easy and good)

3 pound cheap pork roast
32 ounces green salsa (I used Trader Joes at $1.99 a bottle)
1  and 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 and 1/2  tsp. coriander
1 tsp. oregano
1 teaspoon jarred chopped garlic
1 chopped jalapeno
1 tsp. honey
juice of two limes
1/2 large chopped onion
A couple of drops of hot sauce. (I used my favorite, Scoville Brothers Singing Smoke, from Indiana)

Put in crockpot and cook on low 8 hours (or in large covered pan on low for about 3 hours).  Shred the pork or cut into bite size bits and return to sauce.  You can add a couple teaspoons of cornstarch blended with a little  water into it at the end to thicken it, whisking it in slowly, then increasing the heat to high for 30 minutes, covered.   Serve with gluten free flour or corn  tortillas, cilantro and sour cream.


  1. Yes, thank you Brigid for the recipe here too. It was tasty! But your are right in that it is not very photogenic.

  2. I need a recipe for tortillas.

  3. Years ago, I played in a band that had a drummer that was the son of a Mexican immigrant. His father only spoke broken English, and his mother cooked the dishes she learned to cook, when she was raised.

    His wife, who wasn't Hispanic, learned the recipes and cooked authentic Mexican food.

    The simple flour tortillas, and refried, beans were wonderful. Any food I've had in a restaurant doesn't come close to the homemade food I tasted, when they honored me with an invitation to a meal.

  4. B -

    5 cups all-purpose flour
    2 Tablespoons lard
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon course salt
    1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups boiling water

    Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in lard until it resembles cornmeal. Add water slowly, mixing carefully with your hands to form a soft dough, using just enough water to do so.

    Knead a few minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Brush the top lightly with oil, put back in bowl and let rest in a warm place, covered for 10 minutes.

    Divide into small golf ball sized balls and proceed to roll out into size and thickness you prefer.

    Cook on top of stove over medium heat using a cast iron grill or heavy skillet until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two.

    Keep stacked and warm inside a clean dish towel, until ready for serving

  5. Abby's not the only one adjusting to the new life... I actually hesitated and squinted and wondered which dog that was, for a split second there. But I think she may be not as big as Barkley was? She looks much smaller.

    Again, looking before reading - I wondered if you were reduced to eating paper bags, for a moment there. TGIF, heh.

  6. Jess - so true. After living in the desert briefly during some work in grad school, I had a chance to eat some authentic foods of the region and those lands further south, prepared by families. The simplest of foods, so delicious after a hard days work. This recipe, certainly doesn't come close to those meals, but it was simple, cheap and filling. Thanks for stopping.

    Naturegirl - Abby's only 60 pounds and Barkley was 82. She's not slimmer, but smaller. But the face and body and tail, are oh, so familiar "lab".

  7. And not as tall or as long? Not that Barkley was huge but it's easy to see where he was huskier.

    I know, it's like lab deja vu LOL.

  8. Maybe Abby needs her own unique neon colored collar so we can tell the difference faster, LOL.

  9. naturegirl - she has the black ninja collar :-)

    Off to sleep - 10 hour work day, chores, bills and bookkeeping for Dad plus laundry and errands, and Abby isn't the only one yawning.

    Partner will be here tomorrow to meet the newest family member. That will be fun!

  10. sounds yummy! So glad that Abby is settling in nicely!

  11. Hmm looks not too bad and I'm not really a pork fan. Needs more jalapeno's though. :P


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..