Thursday, April 4, 2013

North Korea - The Musical! On Earworms.

You all have experienced it, you get a little bit of a song in your head and you can NOT make it go away, good or bad. (And it's usually bad.)

I was scrolling through the news last night very late and the headline was "How do you solve a problem like North Korea?  Suddenly the song about Maria from Sound of Music came into my head and listening to the news reporter, I could NOT get it out. .

How do you solve a problem like N. Korea?
How do you stop that strike upon your town
How do you find a word that means N. Korea?
A flibbertijibbet! A will-o' the wisp-supreme leader!  A clown!

It only gets worse so I will spare you.

So I will send you a little bit of alternative earworm as I tried out the record function on my new camera.  It was edited to be just a bite as anything bigger wouldn't upload to blogger, but at least playing some music in the house got that song out of my brain. (And be thankful only guitars came out, it could have been my violin.)
Now for something that will knock your socks off by two musicians that regularly are heard on my truck stereo, a duo who furiously combine flamenco and metal shredding on acoustic guitars.  When you hear the tracks it's hard to believe all that musical fury is created by just two people, a young man and woman.

For those unfamilair with Rodrigo Y Gabriela, enjoy, it starts slow, sit back, pour a sip of something and let the music fill more than your ears - Brigid



  1. Were you doing the red-hair-shakin', front seat dancin' while driving... like my wife does?

    Dann in Ohio

  2. "How do you solve a problem like North Korea?"

    I'm seeing potential for a Broadway musical here. With jazz hands. Lots and lots of jazz hands.

  3. Very nice! I can heartily recommend checking out Dave Nachmanoff on youtube. He also plays with Al Stewart a lot, and is just a wizard on guitar...


  4. Dann in Ohio - Ahem, no, I drove in the dignified manner I always do, and did NOT use the maglite as a microphone.

    MauserMedic - oh, yes indeed!

    Vic303 - I will check it out. None of us here at the Range are professionals (though Partner in Grime played in a symphony orchestra in Austria when he as just a pup) but some folks that hang a hat here on occasion play a number of instruments. Myself, some, I play well, some "hey, there's a bunch of cats on the porch!" badly. Still, it's always fun, especially when friends who play stop in.

  5. MSgt B - the song was Jim Croce, the music itself, recorded live in the living room.

  6. Very nice music. I am not sure how you solve a problem like N. Korea.

  7. Flibbertijibbet reminded me of Bloom County ...which was almost as good as Calvin and Hobbes :)

  8. Wow!

    That tune (Stairway To Heaven) really got my heart thumping this morn!

    Thank UUUUUUU!


  9. Guns, grub, and now you also play beautiful guitar? Next you'll tell me you have a whiskey still in the back.

    And real guitar players like that make and old blues picker like me feel downright silly and want to sell all my guitars and take up blog writing or something...

  10. Darling, there is nothing wrong with doing parodies of songs in one's head. The great sin is not letting them out.
    All I wanna do
    is hurt someone.
    Just wanna go out
    get drunk and be someone...
    That was on the tight rotation at a place I worked in the late 80s/middle 90s. A consistant winner at karaoke nights...

  11. Oh yeah, that was a Sheryl Crow song, and the lyrics were from the parody. Not, like, real or anything. Is joke, I tell you! (drug off by DHS/SS/FBIBM, &c)

  12. know, if I had taken to the guitar at a fairly young age, there is little doubt I'd play as well if not better.....really.

  13. I have all of this band's CDs. They feature a bit more than two guitars, but the style is similar.

    If I had to pick just one of their albums to buy, I would go with "Brotherhood", but I like them all.

    Skip iTunes and buy the CD direct. The band gers all of the money that way, and I think the music loses something compressed for i-devices.

  14. Time in a bottle? Haven't heard that in... a while. Earworm indeed. Urhm, if I am correct on your piece?

  15. Rodrigo Y Gabriella - one word - WOW! I just ordered some CD's.

  16. Rodrigo y Gabriela are wonderful. Someone on the internet introduced me to them a while ago. Maybe you've posted them before?

    I also like a couple of other stairway to heaven rearrangements:

    the Beatnix

    and Rolf Harris

  17. Whoa! I'm sold on those two - I'm looking for a recording. Fantastic!


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..