Sunday, November 23, 2014

Poppin' Fresh

Partner in Grime had spent six days straight on a factory floor saving the planet, living off of sandwiches and a pack of ramen noodles in his hotel room.  Sometimes you need  more back up than Ramen Noodles.

I had a busy week as well, but not so busy that I couldn't heat up a home cooked meal when he rolled in.
Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (the copycat Panera recipe from food dot com to which I added 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, a tiny splash of Moosehead, extra black pepper and a pinch or two of crushed red pepper) with Garlic toast.  He gave it a thumbs up and polished off all of it.

And for breakfast the next morning  I said "Popovers?" and he shyly said "if it's not too much trouble" which is husband speak for "hurry, hurry make them now!"  I keep a popover pan at the crash pad, but it had not been used in a while.
Popovers  Crisp on the outside, soft with soft, rich almost custard-like interior, with layers of goodness, they're worth a little extra trouble. I'd recommend a popover pan for the height and crispness but you can make these in a muffin pan. 
It's a good breakfast before we pack up the car and drive back to the Range where I get a couple days off and he goes right back to work.

On I-65 Northbound, I'd prefer four wheel drive and dual flame throwers, but a full stomach will do.


  1. I have never tried making popovers and I love them. May just have to do it. What recipe did you use? I don't have a special pan but I do have muffin pans. :-D

  2. JMD - if you click on the word "Popovers" in red you will get the recipe. It's pretty fool proof. The batter will look pretty lumpy - that is normal you don't want to over=beat (whisk). Enjoy!

  3. Looks good, and you sure you don't need a pair of Ma Deuces???

  4. You could always express ship the popovers to the factory next time.

    I'm not kidding.

    About six years ago, at an experience I only half-jokingly refer to as "iPhone Death Camp", the host resort facility's food got weird at the week-long developer training retreat, and, by the second day of freak-show meals, Fedex and UPS Overnight packages with normal food started stacking up at the front desk every morning.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..