Sunday, May 24, 2015

Dog Day Afternoons

Just a lazy day at home. Found out this last week my position at work is being eliminated due to restructuring and some economics of business plans--lots of merging of teams, and my team lead position won't be filled as my folks are going to another unit that has a leader.  I obviously can't discuss details, but I have no idea what I'm going to end up doing, and will have a job but my team is being split up and I'll be a minion for now. There's a slight chance that another team may have an opening for their own Gibbs but no guarantee I'll get it.  It's not news I needed right now as my team is family to me and we've been together 7 years.

I wish I'd known before I'd moved and leased another place for a year, (transferring up to where the Range is an option but what is available would be wear a suit every day and go to lots of meetings or a job with non-stop travel and more suits and meetings). Partner wants whatever makes me happy, in that I am very blessed.
But if the dog can mope a little bit, so can I.  Pizza helps.
Thin crust with homemade sauce, tiny sage sausage balls and lots of sweet onion.

Beer will help as well. Yes, that ice cube tray makes little ice .223 bullets.
I did a big push for the new book, spending some $$$$ in marketing online for several internet promotions and not a single kindle copy sold this weekend.  Frontlines author Marko is even matching each dollar as the funds for May sales go to a local rescue (Waldo's Muttley Crew) and it's pretty much the sound of crickets this week, though it's only fallen to #4. My Dad loved it, and it raised several  hundred  dollars for Kevlar for K9's last month so I'm very happy with how it was received by family, good friends, and critics.

It's not for everyone, no book is, as I've found.  But I'd rather have a book I'm proud for my Dad to read that doesn't get a lot of press than a million naughty dinosaur book sales (don't ask). But those of you that were kind enough to read it, who have supported it and me with little notes or emails - THANK YOU.

So, with the race blacked out in Indy  (seriously folks?) we went to plan B for someone that wanted just a little comfort and a little comfort food

Dark Chocolate cake like brownies - from scratch with lots of butter and 4 eggs and baked an hour at a low temp, they were awesome even if I didn't frost them as directed. I'll put the recipe in comments if anyone wants it.

No Abby - you don't get any - you're not a Chocolate Lab.
Then after a game of Mexican train it was time to settle in for the NCIS marathon.

 It's been a good run Gibbs - lots of good memories.
Yeah - that's sort of how I felt when I heard.
Abby - we can just wait and watch.

Life doesn't always go as planned, but it's still darn good. Especially with dark chocolate and beer.

22 comments:

  1. Where he closes a door he opens a window,
    another adventure awaits.
    Hugs, Brig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers that things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at pizza, ha. Looks yummy. 2nd Man and I are big race fans, mostly NASCAR (currently watching that) but we do love the Indy 500. It was blacked out though for you? Really? They do that? Dang.

    Sorry about the job, while mine tends to stay stable, 2nd Man does go through those things more frequently than I'd personally like, but I tell him the same thing, whatever makes him happy makes me happy. Wise words. :-)

    Have a brownie for me!

    p.s. Hope you got my email at the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well ... crap. I'll think a few extra good thoughts your way. And you and Partner are always welcome to scoot out here and escape for a weekend; we'll point you to the good food and nice ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear your job just got upended, and your team split up. I know that's hard...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The powers that be have no Idea with whom they are messing! Or what they lose, if they deny themselves your proper service!
    MAROONS!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope the workaday situation turns in your favor. Sometimes when 'bad' things happen, we look back on them and say "That didn't turn out badly at all!" I wish that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know everything will work out for the best. Easy to say, hard to believe. Over the years I have come to the realization that you cannot solve a problem that has not been defined.

    I wish you the best of luck as well. I would much rather be lucky than good nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the employment situation, but as Brighid says it may all turn out for the best. Please do share the brownie recipe, they look delicious. I am of the opinion that frosting on brownies is an abomination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hold off on the season finale of "NCIS" until you have better news at home.

    "New Orleans" ends on an up note. Watch that instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about the job. On the bright side, at least they didn't completely lay you off. Being a minion beats the alternative of being neither minion nor Gibbs pretty much every time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone - at least I have a job so I shouldn't complain so much but I sold a house at a significant loss in another state to take this job so I'm disappointed to say the least. But it's beyond the control of MY bosses so there's no grounds to do anything but buck up and try and do a good job at whatever they assign me.

    No guarantees in ANY field private or federal sector. That I well know.

    Here's the brownie recipe - they're soft in texture with a delicate, crisp. thin, crust. You don't want to know how many Partner and I nibbled on yesterday and one paired nicely with a shot of single malt before bed. (except that led to a weird dream about going to sea in this giant catamaran that was the size and shape of a aircraft carrier that was purchased from Harbor Freight and unfolded like the H.F. Rickety Aluminum Greenhouse here:

    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167071

    We launched successfully to sea, then caught fire before I woke up :-)

    Recipe is an adoption from one in the Norske Nook Cookbook (a GREAT cookbook for anyone that cans, bakes, and loves old fashioned farm style food from scratch).

    Cream together with hand mixer in big bowl, adding the eggs ONE AT A TIME after you'e thoroughly mixed the butter, sugar and vanilla.

    1 stick of softened butter
    2 cups sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4 large eggs

    In another bowl mix
    1 and 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup plus 1/2 tsp Hershey's special dark chocolate cocoa


    Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, adding in:

    1/2 cup milk

    with a big spoon until thoroughly mixed and pour into greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 300 (yes 300) degrees F. for ONE HOUR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless you, Brigid. I think He has something planned. Grieve the loss but get ready for the new thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't jobs fun? Having been where you are, all I can sympathize. But at least there's still that check coming every couple of weeks, and more money going into the pension plan, so focus on the positive and work for something better, because that old wheel's always turning and you'll wind up back on top again. Your kind always does. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopefully this will work out to your advantage.

    Merle

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry to hear this. I know you love what you do and your team. I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well crap!!! You are on the prayer list, still on regarding .Dad and Big Bro. Get to the range and de-stress, cry into Abbeys soft fur and cling to your wonderful Partner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear this. I can commiserate as we are looking at across the board cuts with the new administration.
    I'm just catching up on blogs from a hospital bed tonight. Being restricted to clear liquids those brownie photos are pure torture. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry for the bad news and hope you will transition into something interesting and satisfying. I also hope you are able to sub-lease your place if you choose to move. My hopes and prayers go out to you and Partner. May bright and happy days emerge for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uncertainty abounds, and tough choices present themselves. I just learned myself that my company has sold my division to some equity partners. Your talents will keep you employed, but I hope that the rest of your life will not be unraveled in the keeping. One way or another, it'll work out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear about the job changes. Hopefully after much prayer, consideration, and some chocolate (not too much lest your clothes stop fitting) you will make the best choice for your family. If it involves wearing a suit, oh well, there is always the weekend. Partner and Abby will still be able to recognize you at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..