Friday, March 6, 2015

Here's to You Barkley -

When I finally got to my mail  this week there was Kirkus Reviews Magazine. Kirkus Reviews, along with the (London) Times Literary Supplement  is considered the gold standard for serious authors, and readers who care about serious books. They don't have a huge readership - about 3-4000 subscribers to the actual magazine, which is NOT cheap, and are  known to be fair but brutally honest.  This gives them some serious clout with libraries and bookstores, who often order based solely on a Kirkus review.  Other authors told me not to let them review The Book of Barkley, being totally unknown, a blogger AND Indie,  but I did.  For I was trying to spread that story beyond the pages of a blog and amazon and hoping that a " we didn't HATE it" Kirkus Review would lend TBOB some literary credibility.  I also figured that Kirkus at least wouldn't leave a review that said essentially -  "oh my, I bought this biography and the author talks about herself and growing up and stuff so I'm giving it two stars" (seriously).

I was thrilled when Kirkus put it as an Indie Book of the Day on their website in January saying how much they loved it.   But I knew they review 7-8000 books a year and only 25-30 make it into each issue so my chances of getting picked for the magazine, usually full of well known authors, was pretty much nil.  The selections are 100% at their editors discretion, and they typically choose the strongest reviews in a variety of genres

So when I opened up the February 15 issue today - there was happy dancing going on. And then, I cried and called my Dad.


Mom's acting like an idiot.  Quick take pictures and blackmail her for extra treats so they don't go into the National Inquirer. - Abby Normal

22 comments:

  1. I've been reading (and lurking) for a long time now. I am so happy for you to be getting the recognition you deserve for your story and your excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making Kirkus magazine! That's quite a feather in your cap. Hope you are recovering quickly from the slip & fall you took a few days ago. Luckily for us, the warm weather today and yesterday has melted virtually all the snow and ice from this week's storm. I hope you get a break in the winter weather up there, I know it makes travel between home and work hazardous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Brigid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written and a great read. You really shouldn't be surprised, but gratified. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cream. Rising to the top. Just sayin'......................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You earned it.

    I'm sure all the dogs in Heaven are raising a toast to a beaming Barkley tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I hope Barkley's tail is wagging like mad for you in the hereafter. Knowing him, he'll probably be thinking, "Kirkus? Is that a new flavor of frozen yoghurt that Mom's bringing me?"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to see you cried about the review and called your father.

    Rich in NC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. I'm so pleased when good things happen to you and other nice people. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well deserved. Period. Congrats, and here's hoping you generate even more sales from it! It's a great cause and you put heart and soul into TBOB. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those of us who have been reading you for a long time know your gift for the written word. We are very proud to see it recognized by Kirkus. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the best of us. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brigid...your writings and thoughts are so very good. I am not surprised by the recognition! Thanks for sharing your gift with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I told you, you're an artist and words are your palette. Here at the blog you've been knocking out little pieces of kitsch to huge canvases of brilliance.

    The Book of Barkley was your gallery opening. Kirkus obviously appreciates art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations are certainly in order, but in no way come as a surprise. The book is every bit as well written as anything you've written here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well deserved, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..